Affiliation: World Health Organization
- Traditional medicines as a mechanism for driving research innovation in AfricaIvan Addae-Mensah
Department of Chemistry, University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana
Malar J 10:S9. 2011..This report highlights key recommendations that have emerged through expert forums convened by ANDI on the challenges, opportunities and prospects for investing in this important area of research...
- The Concept Paper on the Helminth Drug Initiative. Onchocerciasis/lymphatic filariasis and schistosomiasis: opportunities and challenges for the discovery of new drugs/diagnosticsAlan Hudson
Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases TDR, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland 41 22 791 3767 41 22 791 4825
Expert Opin Drug Discov 2:S3-7. 2007..Recommendations are made for future efforts to maximise the possibilities for success, including the formation of a 'worm initiative' to promote a more integrated approach...
- Integrated dataset of screening hits against multiple neglected disease pathogensSolomon Nwaka
Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1412. 2011..Our work suggests that the efficiency of early drug discovery for neglected diseases can be enhanced through a collaborative, multi-pathogen approach...
- Analysis of pan-African Centres of excellence in health innovation highlights opportunities and challenges for local innovation and financing in the continentSolomon Nwaka
African Network for Drugs and Diagnostics Innovation, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
BMC Int Health Hum Rights 12:11. 2012....
- CRIMALDDI: a co-ordinated, rational, and integrated effort to set logical priorities in anti-malarial drug discovery initiativesIan C Boulton
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK
Malar J 9:202. 2010..It is hoped that the recommendations will help to guide the priorities of the European anti-malarial research as well as the wider global discovery agenda in the coming decade...
- Drug discovery and beyond: the role of public-private partnerships in improving access to new malaria medicinesSolomon Nwaka
Medicines for Malaria Venture MMV, P O Box 1826, CH 1215 Geneva 15, Switzerland
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:S20-9. 2005..All stages require partnership, sustainable financing and the engagement of disease-endemic countries. The recent G8 report on Africa has lent support to mechanisms aimed at improving health and achieving the Millenium Development Goals...
- Innovative lead discovery strategies for tropical diseasesSolomon Nwaka
Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases TDR, World Health Organization Geneva, Switzerland
Nat Rev Drug Discov 5:941-55. 2006..This strategy offers the promise of reducing the inherently high attrition rate of the early stages of discovery research, thereby increasing the chances of success and enhancing cost-effectiveness...
- Interview with solomon nwakaSolomon Nwaka
Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, WHO, Avenue Appia 20, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Future Med Chem 3:1339-44. 2011b>Solomon Nwaka was born in Nigeria and grew up seeing at first hand the impact of neglected diseases. His research efforts have taken him across the globe, in both the developed and developing world...
- Schistosomes: challenges in compound screeningBernadette Ramirez
Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases TDR, World Health Organization, 20, Avenue Appia 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland 41 22 791 1060 41 22 791 4825
Expert Opin Drug Discov 2:S53-61. 2007..It also highlights the best practices for compound screening in the TDR-designated compound screening centres and details some of the challenges involved in in vitro and in vivo compound screening...
- Advancing drug innovation for neglected diseases-criteria for lead progressionSolomon Nwaka
Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases TDR, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e440. 2009..A set of criteria designed to facilitate compound progression from screening hits to drug candidate selection is presented to guide ongoing efforts...
- Virtual drug discovery and development for neglected diseases through public-private partnershipsSolomon Nwaka
Medicines for Malaria Venture, Geneva, Switzerland
Nat Rev Drug Discov 2:919-28. 2003
- Mission possibleAndrew L Hopkins
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Sandwich, UK
Nature 449:166-9. 2007
- Antimalarial drug discovery: efficacy models for compound screeningDavid A Fidock
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 3:509-20. 2004