Affiliation: World Health Organization
- High incidence of HIV-1 in South Africa using a standardized algorithm for recent HIV seroconversionEleanor Gouws
Medical Research Council, Congella, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 29:531-5. 2002..The HIV-1 incidence rates provide valuable additional information indicating that new infections are continuing unabated and that the HIV-1 epidemic is still growing in rural South Africa...
- Prevalence of HIV among truck drivers visiting sex workers in KwaZulu-Natal, South AfricaGita Ramjee
HIV Prevention and Vaccine Research Division, Medical Research Council, Durban, South Africa
Sex Transm Dis 29:44-9. 2002..Although the role of mobile populations in the spread of HIV has been documented in several countries, there are few data on HIV among truck drivers in South Africa and the sex workers with whom they interact...
- The impact of incident and prevalent herpes simplex virus-2 infection on the incidence of HIV-1 infection among commercial sex workers in South AfricaGita Ramjee
HIV 1 Prevention Research Unit, Medical Research Council, Durban, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:333-9. 2005..Drawing on other recent studies these data suggest that incident HSV-2 infection increases the risk of HIV-1 infection; the effect wanes with time since infection; and the effect is significantly greater for men than it is for women...
- Global epidemiology of HIV-AIDSSalim S Abdool Karim
Centre for the AIDS Program of Research in South Africa CAPRISA, Doris Duke Medical Research Institute, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of KwaZulu Natal, Private Bag X7, Congella, 4013 Durban, South Africa
Infect Dis Clin North Am 21:1-17, vii. 2007..This article describes the modes of HIV transmission, geographic distribution of the evolving AIDS pandemic, and case studies of each of the three types of HIV epidemics, and presents global trends in AIDS and mortality...
- GB virus type C coinfection in HIV-infected African mothers and their infants, KwaZulu Natal, South AfricaMahomed A Sathar
Department of Medicine, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Natal, Congella, Durban, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 38:405-9. 2004..The immunological indices measured tend to suggest an association with protection and or delayed progression of HIV disease in GBV-C-infected mothers...
- The potential impact of male circumcision on HIV in Sub-Saharan AfricaBrian G Williams
World Health Organization, Stop TB Department, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Med 3:e262. 2006..We explore the implications of this finding for the promotion of MC as a public health intervention to control HIV in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Malaria attributable to the HIV-1 epidemic, sub-Saharan AfricaEline L Korenromp
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1410-9. 2005..These effects were due to high HIV-1 prevalence in rural areas and the locally unstable nature of malaria transmission that results in a high proportion of adult cases...
- Response to Brown et al., 'Incident and prevalent herpes simplex virus type 2 infection increases risk of HIV acquisition among women in Uganda and Zimbabwe'Brian G Williams
AIDS 21:2356-7. 2007
- Changing patterns of knowledge, reported behaviour and sexually transmitted infections in a South African gold mining communityBrian G Williams
16 rue de la Canonniere, Geneva 1202, Switzerland
AIDS 17:2099-107. 2003..This included community-based peer education, condom distribution, syndromic management of sexually transmitted infections (STI), and presumptive STI treatment for sex workers...
- Representative sampling and analysis in HIV molecular epidemiology studiesJoris Hemelaar
AIDS 22:322-3. 2008
- HIV infection, antiretroviral therapy, and CD4+ cell count distributions in African populationsBrian G Williams
Stop TB Department, World Health Organization, Geneva 1211 CH 1211, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 194:1450-8. 2006....
- Global and regional distribution of HIV-1 genetic subtypes and recombinants in 2004Joris Hemelaar
WHO UNAIDS HIV Vaccine Initiative, Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 20:W13-23. 2006..To estimate the global and regional distribution of HIV-1 subtypes and recombinants in 2004...
- The global impact of scaling up HIV/AIDS prevention programs in low- and middle-income countriesJohn Stover
Futures Group Constella, Glastonbury, CT 06033, USA
Science 311:1474-6. 2006..Thus, greater spending on prevention now would not only prevent more than half the new infections that would occur from 2005 to 2015 but would actually produce a net financial saving as future costs for treatment and care are averted...
- Pediatric mortality in Africa: plasmodium falciparum malaria as a cause or risk?Robert W Snow
Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Collaborative Program, Nairobi, Kenya
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:16-24. 2004..In conclusion, the disability and death burden due to malaria in African children could be higher than that detectable from cause-specific DALY estimations...
- Measurement of trends in childhood malaria mortality in Africa: an assessment of progress toward targets based on verbal autopsyEline L Korenromp
Malaria Control Department of WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet Infect Dis 3:349-58. 2003....
- Diabetes and other disorders of glycemia in a rural South African community: prevalence and associated risk factorsAyesha A Motala
Department of Endocrinology, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Diabetes Care 31:1783-8. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), impaired fasting glycemia (IFG), and associated risk factors in a rural South African black community...