Affiliation: World Health Organization
- Health services research into postnatal depression: results from a preliminary cross-cultural studyD Chisholm
Health Services Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Br J Psychiatry Suppl 46:s45-52. 2004..Little is known about the availability and uptake of health and welfare services by women with postnatal depression in different countries...
- Reducing the global burden of depression: population-level analysis of intervention cost-effectiveness in 14 world regionsDan Chisholm
Department of Health System Financing, Expenditure and Resource Allocation, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Br J Psychiatry 184:393-403. 2004..Aims To estimate the population-level cost-effectiveness of evidence-based depression interventions and their contribution towards reducing current burden...
- Schizophrenia treatment in the developing world: an interregional and multinational cost-effectiveness analysisDan Chisholm
Department of Health Systems Financing, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 86:542-51. 2008..Schizophrenia is a highly disabling disease and is costly to treat. We set out to establish what are the most cost-effective interventions applicable to developing regions and countries...
- Estimating the cost of implementing district mental healthcare plans in five low- and middle-income countries: the PRIME studyDan Chisholm
Dan Chisholm, PhD, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland Soumitra Burman Roy, MSc, Centre for Global Mental Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK Abebaw Fekadu, MD, Department of Psychiatry, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia Tasneem Kathree, MSc, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa Dorothy Kizza, PhD, Butabika Mental Hospital, Kampala, Uganda Nagendra P Luitel, MA, Transcultural Psychosocial Organization TPO Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal Inge Petersen, PhD, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa Rahul Shidhaye, MD, Public Health Foundation of India, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, Delhi, India Mary De Silva, PhD, Centre for Global Mental Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, Charleston
Br J Psychiatry 208:s71-8. 2016..10 per head of population.ConclusionsEstimation of resource needs and costs for district-level mental health services provides relevant information concerning the financial feasibility of locally developed plans for successful scale up. ..
- Cost effectiveness of strategies to combat road traffic injuries in sub-Saharan Africa and South East Asia: mathematical modelling studyDan Chisholm
Department of Health Systems Financing, World Health Organization, Avenue Appia 20, Geneva, Switzerland
BMJ 344:e612. 2012..To identify and estimate the population costs and effects of a selected set of enforcement strategies for reducing the burden of road traffic injuries in developing countries...
- Cost effectiveness of strategies to combat neuropsychiatric conditions in sub-Saharan Africa and South East Asia: mathematical modelling studyDan Chisholm
Department of Health Systems Financing, World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
BMJ 344:e609. 2012..To assess the comparative costs and effects of interventions to combat five neuropsychiatric conditions (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, epilepsy, and heavy alcohol use)...
- Cost-Effectiveness and Resource Allocation (CERA) - directions for the futureRob Baltussen
Department of Community and Primary Care, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cost Eff Resour Alloc 7:14. 2009....
- Chronic fatigue in general practice: economic evaluation of counselling versus cognitive behaviour therapyD Chisholm
Department of Neurology, King s College of Medicine, London
Br J Gen Pract 51:15-8. 2001..There is a paucity of evidence relating to the cost-effectiveness of alternative treatment responses to chronic fatigue...
- Reducing the global burden of hazardous alcohol use: a comparative cost-effectiveness analysisDan Chisholm
Department of Health System Financing, Expenditure and Resource Allocation, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
J Stud Alcohol 65:782-93. 2004..This study set out to estimate these costs and effects...
- Cost-effectiveness of first-line antiepileptic drug treatments in the developing world: a population-level analysisDan Chisholm
Department of Health System Financing, and Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Epilepsia 46:751-9. 2005..To establish the population-level costs and cost-effectiveness of first-line antiepileptic drug (AED) treatments for reducing the treatment gap in developing countries...
- Cost-effectiveness of clinical interventions for reducing the global burden of bipolar disorderDan Chisholm
Department of Health System Financing, Evidence and Information for Policy EIP, World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Br J Psychiatry 187:559-67. 2005..Bipolar disorder has been ranked seventh among the worldwide causes of non-fatal disease burden...
- Cost of scaling up mental healthcare in low- and middle-income countriesDan Chisholm
Department of Health Systems Financing HSF, World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Br J Psychiatry 191:528-35. 2007..No systematic attempt has been made to calculate the costs of scaling up mental health services in low- and middle-income countries...
- Depression status, medical comorbidity and resource costs. Evidence from an international study of major depression in primary care (LIDO)Daniel Chisholm
Health Services Research Department, King s College of Medicine and Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Br J Psychiatry 183:121-31. 2003..Despite the burden of depression, there remain few data on its economic consequences in an international context...
- Prioritizing health problems in women in developing countries: comparing the financial burden of reproductive tract infections, anaemia and depressive disorders in a community survey in IndiaVikram Patel
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 12:130-9. 2007....
- Cost-utility analysis of intravenous immunoglobulin and prednisolone for chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathyPaul McCrone
Centre for the Economics of Mental Health, Health Services Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK
Eur J Neurol 10:687-94. 2003..The impact of later side-effects of prednisolone on long-term costs and quality of life are likely to reduce the cost per QALY of IVIg treatment...
- Comparing patterns and costs of schizophrenia care in five European countries: the EPSILON study. European Psychiatric Services: Inputs Linked to Outcome Domains and NeedsMartin Knapp
Department of Health Services Research, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College Medical School, London, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 105:42-54. 2002..To compare service utilization and cost profiles of people with schizophrenia living in Europe in order to understand differences in treatment and care costs...
- Demand for, access to and use of community mental health care: lessons from a demonstration project in India and PakistanSarah James
Institute for Health Sector Development, London, UK
Int J Soc Psychiatry 48:163-76. 2002..A widely promoted model of mental health care and prevention appropriate to many low-income countries is one that is integrated into the local primary health care system...
- Variations in the costs of child and adolescent psychiatric in-patient unitsJennifer Beecham
Centre for the Economics of Mental Health CEMH, Health Services Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Br J Psychiatry 183:220-5; discussion 226-7. 2003..Child and adolescent in-patient care is a highly specialised service, ideally requiring planning at a national level, but there are no routine data collections specifically for these services...
- Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of drug and psychological treatments for common mental disorders in general health care in Goa, India: a randomised, controlled trialVikram Patel
Section of Epidemiology, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Lancet 361:33-9. 2003..We aimed to assess the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of antidepressant and psychological treatment for common mental disorders in general health-care settings...
- The cost-effectiveness of policies for the safe and appropriate use of injection in healthcare settingsGerald Dziekan
Department of Blood Safety and Clinical Technology, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 81:277-85. 2003..We modelled the cost-effectiveness of policies for the safe and appropriate use of injections in ten epidemiological subregions of the world in terms of cost per disability-adjusted life year (DALY) averted...
- Global "burden of disease"-study for psychiatric disordersT B Ustun
Global Programme on Evidence for Health Policy, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatr Prax 28:S7-11. 2001..This feature would assist comparative assessments. The WHO plans to refine this framework for assessing the outcomes of interventions and their related costs...
- Economic implications of shared care arrangements. A primary care based study of patients in an inner city sampleP McCrone
Centre for the Economics of Mental Health, Health Services Research Dept, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 39:553-9. 2004..However, little is known about the resource implications of different levels of 'shared care'. The aim of this study is to compare service use and costs of different levels of shared care between primary and secondary care services...
- Cross-country measures for monitoring epilepsy careCharles E Begley
School of Public Health, University of Texas 77030, USA
Epilepsia 48:990-1001. 2007..The goal is to provide planners and policymakers with tools to analyze the impact of healthcare services and systems and evaluate efforts to improve performance...
- Course of depression, health services costs, and work productivity in an international primary care studyGregory E Simon
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative of Puget Sound, Seattle, WA, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 24:328-35. 2002....
- The Lancet's series on global mental health: 1 year onVikram Patel
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK Sangath Centre, Porvorim, Goa, India
Lancet 372:1354-7. 2008
- The economics of schizophrenia care in Europe: the EPSILON studyDaniel Chisholm
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 11:12-7. 2002