Affiliation: University Hospital
- Communicating accuracy of tests to general practitioners: a controlled studyJohann Steurer
Horten Zentrum für praxisorientierte Forschung und Wissenstransfer, Universitatsspital Zurich, Bolleystrasse 40, Postfach Nord, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
BMJ 324:824-6. 2002..To assess the extent to which different forms of summarising diagnostic test information influence general practitioners' ability to estimate disease probabilities...
- Prediction of first coronary events with the Framingham score: a systematic reviewKlaus Eichler
Horten Centre for Patient Oriented Research, University Hospital of Zurich, Postfach Nord, Zurich, Switzerland
Am Heart J 153:722-31, 731.e1-8. 2007..Uncertainty exists about the performance of the Framingham risk score when applied in different populations...
- Complementary and alternative medicine in asthma: do they work?Claudia Steurer-Stey
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Policlinic, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 132:338-44. 2002..An increasing number of patients with asthma are attracted by complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Therefore, it is of importance that scientific evidence about the efficacy of this type of therapy is regarded...
- ProCOC: the prostate cancer outcomes cohort studyMartin Umbehr
Horten Centre for patient oriented research and knowledge transfer, University of Zurich, University Hospital of Zurich, Postfach Nord, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Urol 8:9. 2008..These questions can be addressed in the context of a cohort study...
- Do citizens have minimum medical knowledge? A surveyLucas M Bachmann
Horten Centre for Patient Oriented Research, University of Zurich, Postfach Nord, Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Med 5:14. 2007..We tested to what degree Swiss adult citizens satisfy this criterion for MMK and whether people with medical experience have acquired better knowledge than those without...
- Exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: when are antibiotics indicated? A systematic reviewMilo A Puhan
Horten Centre, University Hospital of Zurich, Postfach Nord, Zurich, Switzerland
Respir Res 8:30. 2007..The aim of this systematic review was to analyse randomised controlled trials investigating the clinical benefit of antibiotics for COPD exacerbations...
- Barriers to apply cardiovascular prediction rules in primary care: a postal surveyKlaus Eichler
Horten Centre for Patient Oriented Research, University Hospital of Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Fam Pract 8:1. 2007..Little is known about barriers for application. The objective of this study was to evaluate barriers impeding the application of cardiovascular prediction rules in primary prevention...
- Congruency of diabetes care with the Chronic Care Model in different Swiss health care organisations from the patients' perspective: a cross sectional studyAnja Frei
Institute of General Practice and Health Services Research, University of Zurich, Switzerland, and Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 144:w13992. 2014..We evaluated the congruency of diabetes care with the Chronic Care Model between managed and non-managed care organisations from a patient's perspective...
- Diagnostic aid to rule out pneumonia in adults with cough and feeling of fever. A validation study in the primary care settingUlrike Held
Horten Center for Patient oriented Research and Knowledge Transfer, University of Zurich, Postfach Nord, Pestalozzistrasse 24, Zurich CH 8091, Switzerland
BMC Infect Dis 12:355. 2012..The aim of the present investigation was to validate the diagnostic aid in a new sample of primary care patients...
- Quantitative radiologic criteria for the diagnosis of lumbar spinal stenosis: a systematic literature reviewJohann Steurer
Horten Centre for patient oriented research and knowledge transfer, University Zurich, Raemistrasse 100, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:175. 2011....
- Accuracy of Ottawa ankle rules to exclude fractures of the ankle and mid-foot: systematic reviewLucas M Bachmann
Horten Centre, Zurich University, Postfach Nord, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
BMJ 326:417. 2003..To summarise the evidence on accuracy of the Ottawa ankle rules, a decision aid for excluding fractures of the ankle and mid-foot...
- Oral purified bacterial extracts in chronic bronchitis and COPD: systematic reviewClaudia Steurer-Stey
Medical Policlinic, University Hospital, Raemistrasse 100, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Chest 126:1645-55. 2004..The value of these treatments, which are thought to be immunomodulating, is poorly understood. Our aim was to quantify the efficacy of oral bacteria extracts in patients with chronic bronchitis and COPD...
- Preventive health risk appraisal for older people and impact on GPs' patient management: a prospective studyKlaus Eichler
Horten Centre, University Hospital of Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Fam Pract 24:604-9. 2007..Health risk appraisals (HRAs) are recommended for detection of potentially modifiable risk factors for health status decline of older people. Little is known how family physicians manage detected risk factors...
- Simple presentation of test accuracy may lead to inflated disease probabilitiesLucas M Bachmann
BMJ 326:393. 2003
- A randomized trial of ways to describe test accuracy: the effect on physicians' post-test probability estimatesMilo A Puhan
University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Intern Med 143:184-9. 2005..Some people believe that likelihood ratios provide diagnostic information that is more useful than sensitivity and specificity estimates...
- Multidimensional analysis of learning curves in laparoscopic sigmoid resection: eight-year resultsSelim Dincler
Department of Surgery, City Hospital Waid, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 46:1371-8; discussion 1378-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to define a multidimensional learning curve for sigmoid resection performed by two surgeons with experience in laparoscopic surgery...
- Ultrasonography in screening for developmental dysplasia of the hip in newborns: systematic reviewNerys F Woolacott
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, York YO10 5DD
BMJ 330:1413. 2005....
- Respiratory rehabilitation after acute exacerbation of COPD may reduce risk for readmission and mortality -- a systematic reviewMilo A Puhan
Horten Centre, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Respir Res 6:54. 2005..To study whether respiratory rehabilitation after acute exacerbation improves prognosis and health status compared to usual care, we quantified its effects using meta-analyses...
- [From "evidence" to "knowledge-based medicine"]Lucas M Bachmann
Ther Umsch 64:657-8. 2007
- Predictors of differences in symptom perception of older patients and their doctorsEberhard Scheuer
Department of Psychosocial Medicine and Horten Center for Applied Research and Science, University Hospital Zurich, Culmannstr 8, CH 8091 Switzerland
Fam Pract 19:357-61. 2002..Doctors and their older patients do not necessarily agree on what health problem ought to be treated. Discordance influences diagnostic procedures, patient satisfaction and treatment outcome negatively...
- Cognitive-behavioural treatment for weight loss in primary care: a prospective studyKlaus Eichler
Horten Centre, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 137:489-95. 2007..We assessed whether implementation of a community-based CBT weight loss programme for adults in routine care is feasible and prospectively assessed patient outcome...
- Education and a standardized management protocol improve the assessment and management of asthma in the emergency departmentClaudia Steurer-Stey
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Policlinic, University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 135:222-7. 2005..To evaluate the effect of a standardized management protocol on acute asthma care in the emergency department (ED)...
- The accuracy of the Ottawa knee rule to rule out knee fractures: a systematic reviewLucas M Bachmann
Horten Centre, Zurich University, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Intern Med 140:121-4. 2004..The Ottawa knee rule is a clinical decision aid that helps rule out fractures and avoid unnecessary radiography...
- More medical journals should inform their contributors about three key principles of graph constructionMilo A Puhan
Horten Centre, University of Zurich, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Epidemiol 59:1017-22. 2006..To identify key principles of graph construction and to review guidance on graph construction provided by medical journals...
- Assessment of clinical utility of 18F-FDG PET in patients with head and neck cancer: a probability analysisGerhard W Goerres
Division of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Raemistrasse 100, 8091, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 30:562-71. 2003..Further research is required to derive probabilities for individual patients from sequential testing as applied in the diagnostic work-up of patients with head and neck cancer...