Affiliation: University Hospital
- Comparison of randomized controlled trial registry entries and content of reports in surgery journalsRachel Rosenthal
Department of Surgery, Basel University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Ann Surg 257:1007-15. 2013..To evaluate discrepancies between trial registry entries and final reports of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) published in major general surgical journals...
- Personality traits and virtual reality performanceRachel Rosenthal
Department of Visceral Surgery, Basel University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 27:222-30. 2013....
- Video gaming in children improves performance on a virtual reality trainer but does not yet make a laparoscopic surgeonRachel Rosenthal
Department of Visceral Surgery, Basel University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Surg Innov 18:160-70. 2011..This study aims at comparing laparoscopic virtual reality (VR) task performance of children with different levels of experience in video games and residents...
- Can skills assessment on a virtual reality trainer predict a surgical trainee's talent in laparoscopic surgery?R Rosenthal
Department of Surgery, Universitatsspital Basel, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 20:1286-90. 2006....
- Laparoscopic antireflux surgery: long-term outcomes and quality of lifeRachel Rosenthal
Department of Surgery, Kantonsspital Olten, Olten, Switzerland
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 16:557-61. 2006..To evaluate the outcome of antireflux surgery, we assessed disease-specific symptoms and quality of life of all patients treated by laparoscopic fundoplication at our center between 1992 and 2002...
- Intranodal immunization with a vaccinia virus encoding multiple antigenic epitopes and costimulatory molecules in metastatic melanomaMichel Adamina
Institute of Surgical Research and Hospital Management, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Mol Ther 18:651-9. 2010..These data indicate that IN administration of rVV encoding melanoma-associated epitopes and costimulatory molecules is safe and immunogenic...
- Active specific immunotherapy phase III trials for malignant melanoma: systematic analysis and critical appraisalRachel Rosenthal
Department of Surgery, Kantonspital Olten, Switzerland
J Am Coll Surg 207:95-105. 2008
- Successful implementation of a window for routine antimicrobial prophylaxis shorter than that of the World Health Organization standardHeidi Misteli
Division of General Surgery, University Hospital of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 33:912-6. 2012..To evaluate the feasibility of implementation of the refined window for routine antimicrobial prophylaxis (RAP) of 30-74 minutes before skin incision compared to the World Health Organization (WHO) standard of 0-60 minutes...
- Impact of surgical training on incidence of surgical site infectionRachel Rosenthal
Department of Surgery, Basel University Hospital, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
World J Surg 33:1165-73. 2009..The purpose of the present study was to investigate whether the risk of SSI is higher after surgery with tutorial assistance than after surgery performed autonomously by a fully trained surgeon...
- Heterologous prime-boost immunotherapy of melanoma patients with Influenza virosomes, and recombinant Vaccinia virus encoding 5 melanoma epitopes and 3 co-stimulatory molecules. A multi-centre phase I/II open labeled clinical trialMichel Adamina
Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, Department of Surgery, University of Basel, Hebelstrasse 20, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Contemp Clin Trials 29:165-81. 2008..Disease free survival will be assessed by 4-monthly serial clinic visits, including physical and FDG-PET examinations, for a follow-up time of 2 years. Quality of life will be assessed with a dedicated FACT-BRM 4 questionnaire...
- The association of preoperative anemia and perioperative allogeneic blood transfusion with the risk of surgical site infectionWalter P Weber
Department of General Surgery, the Blood Transfusion Centre, University Hospital of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Transfusion 49:1964-70. 2009..The purpose of the study was to investigate allogeneic blood transfusion (ABT) and preoperative anemia as risk factors for surgical site infection (SSI)...
- Long-term Follow-up of a Randomized Controlled Trial of Lichtenstein's Operation Versus Mesh Plug Repair for Inguinal HerniaRaoul A Droeser
Division of General and Visceral Surgery and Institute for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland Division of Visceral Surgery and Medicine, University Hospital Bern, Bern, Switzerland Division of Visceral Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Olten, Olten, Switzerland Division of Visceral Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Lucerne, Lucerne, Switzerland Division of Visceral Surgery, Kreiskrankenhaus Lörrach, Lörrach, Germany Division of General Surgery, Gesundheitszentrum Wetzikon, Wetzikon, Switzerland
Ann Surg 259:966-72. 2014..To compare long-term results of Lichtenstein's operation versus mesh plug repair for open inguinal hernia repair...
- Assessment of construct validity of a virtual reality laparoscopy simulatorRachel Rosenthal
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:407-13. 2007....
- Cancer/testis antigen expression and specific cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses in non small cell lung cancerCelia Groeper
Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, Department of Research, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 120:337-43. 2007..Supportive evidence was provided by corresponding multimer staining. Although CTA genes are frequently expressed in NSCLC, detection of CTL reactivity against CTA epitopes in TIL from nonimmunized NSCLC patients represents a rare event...
- The future of patient safety: Surgical trainees accept virtual reality as a new training toolRachel Rosenthal
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Lausanne, Switzerland
Patient Saf Surg 2:16. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate trainees' acceptance of VR for assessment and training during a skills course and at their institution...
- Efficient stimulation of T cell responses by human IFN-alpha-induced dendritic cells does not require Toll-like receptor triggeringLaura Bracci
Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, DBM, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
J Immunother 31:466-74. 2008....
- Impact of an intensive 2-day endovascular training course on technical performance of traineesRachel Rosenthal
Department of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Ann Vasc Surg 27:1173-81. 2013....
- Surgery for ischemic colitis: outcome and risk factors for in-hospital mortalityJörg Genstorfer
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Int J Colorectal Dis 29:493-503. 2014..Surgery for ischemic colitis is associated with high perioperative morbidity and mortality, but the risk factors for mortality and major surgical complications are unclear...
- Advanced liposomal vectors as cancer vaccines in melanoma immunotherapyMichel Adamina
Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
J Liposome Res 16:195-204. 2006..We report here our experience in the tailoring of dedicated advanced liposomal vectors that were developed in the context of an upcoming immunotherapy clinical trial for melanoma...
- Surgical treatment of acute recurrent diverticulitis: early elective or late elective surgery. An analysis of 237 patientsHenry Hoffmann
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Basel, Spitalstrasse 21, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
World J Surg 36:898-907. 2012..The optimal timing of elective surgery in diverticulitis remains unclear. We attempted to investigate early elective versus late elective laparoscopic surgery in acute recurrent diverticulitis in a retrospective study...
- The timing of surgical antimicrobial prophylaxisWalter P Weber
Department of General Surgery, University Hospital of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Ann Surg 247:918-26. 2008..To obtain precise information on the optimal time window for surgical antimicrobial prophylaxis...
- Efficient induction of tumoricidal cytotoxic T lymphocytes by HLA-A0201 restricted, melanoma associated, L(27)Melan-A/MART-1(26-35) peptide encapsulated into virosomes in vitroReto Schumacher
Institut für Chirurgische Forschung und Spitalmanagement, Zentrum fur Lehre und Forschung, University of Basel, 20 Hebelstrasse, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Vaccine 23:5572-82. 2005..Taken together our results suggest that this highly immunogenic antigenic formulation might qualify for clinical use in active, antigen-specific, melanoma immunotherapy...
- Clinical applications of recombinant virus-based cancer immunotherapyMichel Adamina
Institut für Chirurgische Forschung und Spitalmanagement, Universitatsspital Basel, Hebelstrasse 20, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Expert Opin Biol Ther 5:1211-24. 2005....
- Spectrum of pathogens in surgical site infections at a Swiss university hospitalHeidi Misteli
Department of General Surgery, University Hospital of Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 140:w13146. 2011..5 g cefuroxime (plus 500 mg metronidazole in colorectal surgery)...
- How to write a surgical clinical research protocol: literature review and practical guideRachel Rosenthal
Department of Surgery, Basel University Hospital, Spitalstrasse 26, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland Electronic address
Am J Surg 207:299-312. 2014..The aim of this review is to provide a practical guide for developing a clinical study protocol for surgical interventions with a focus on methodologic issues...
- Medical students' career expectations and interest in opting for a surgical careerHenry Hoffmann
University Hospital Basel, Spitalstrasse 21, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 144:w13932. 2014..This study evaluated the current career expectations of medical students and tested a hands-on virtual reality (VR) intervention as a tool to increase their interest in surgery...
- Prevalence, characteristics, and publication of discontinued randomized trialsBenjamin Kasenda
Basel Institute for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University Hospital of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
JAMA 311:1045-51. 2014..The discontinuation of randomized clinical trials (RCTs) raises ethical concerns and often wastes scarce research resources. The epidemiology of discontinued RCTs, however, remains unclear...
- Histomorphometric, CT arthrographic, and biomechanical mapping of the human ankleOlaf Buettner
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Foot Ankle Int 34:1025-34. 2013....
- Does specialization improve outcome in abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery?Rachel Rosenthal
Centre of Vascular Surgery Aarau Basel, Basel University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Vascular 13:107-13. 2005..000). We conclude that in patients undergoing abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, those whose surgery is done by a specialized team have a significantly better outcome than those whose surgery is done by general surgeons...
- Differential effects of the tryptophan metabolite 3-hydroxyanthranilic acid on the proliferation of human CD8+ T cells induced by TCR triggering or homeostatic cytokinesWalter P Weber
Institut für Chirurgische Forschung und Spitalmanagement and Department Forschung, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Immunol 36:296-304. 2006..Instead, in the absence of effective T cell receptor triggering, 3-HAA profoundly affects homeostatic proliferation of CD8(+) T cells...
- Ferguson hemorrhoidectomy: long-term results and patient satisfaction after Ferguson's hemorrhoidectomyMarc Olivier Guenin
Department of Surgery, St Claraspital, Basel, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 48:1523-7. 2005..Perioperative morbidity and long-term results after hemorrhoidectomy (Ferguson's technique) were evaluated as a basis for comparison with new methods such as stapled hemorrhoidectomy...
- Culture of melanoma cells in 3-dimensional architectures results in impaired immunorecognition by cytotoxic T lymphocytes specific for Melan-A/MART-1 tumor-associated antigenSourabh Ghosh
Institut für Chirurgische Forschung und Spitalmanagement and Departement Forschung, University of Basel, 20 Hebelstrasse, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Ann Surg 242:851-7, discussion 858. 2005..To assess the effects of the culture of melanoma cells in 3-dimensional (3D) architectures on their immunorecognition by cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTLs) specific for tumor-associated antigens...