Affiliation: University Hospital
- Low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma with inferior vena cava tumor thrombus and intracardiac extension: radical resection may improve recurrence free survivalPietro Renzulli
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Inselspital, Bern University Hospital, and University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Surg Oncol 18:57-64. 2009..We describe a patient with advanced low-grade ESS with tumor invasion of the infrarenal aorta and the inferior vena cava. The patient presented with a large tumor thrombus extending from the inferior vena cava into the right atrium...
- Symptomatic retroperitoneal cyst: a diagnostic challengePietro Renzulli
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Inselspital, Bern University Hospital and University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 91:W9-11. 2009..Retroperitoneal cystic masses pose an important diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. Simple drainage, internal or external, is usually not sufficient. We report a case of a large symptomatic retroperitoneal cyst and its management...
- Atraumatic splenic rupture in amyloidosisPietro Renzulli
Department of Visceral Surgery and Medicine, Inselspital, Bern University Hospital, andUniversity of Bern, Switzerland
Amyloid 16:47-53. 2009..An atraumatic rupture of the affected spleen is however an extremely rare event. We report on a patient with undiagnosed amyloidosis who underwent emergency splenectomy for atraumatic splenic rupture...
- Learning curve: the surgeon as a prognostic factor in colorectal cancer surgeryPietro Renzulli
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Inselspital, University of Berne, 3010 Berne, Switzerland
Recent Results Cancer Res 165:86-104. 2005..Improvements in supervision, training/teaching, specialization, the surgeon's caseload, and the hospital's caseload will therefore translate into enhanced patient outcome...
- [Intestinal stomas--indications, stoma types, surgical technique]P Renzulli
Klinik für Viszerale und Transplantationschirurgie, Universitatsspital, Bern
Ther Umsch 64:517-27. 2007..A perfectly placed, technically correctly fashioned and easy to care for stoma is essential for a good patients'quality of life...
- Thiazolide-induced apoptosis in colorectal cancer cells is mediated via the Jun kinase-Bim axis and reveals glutathione-S-transferase P1 as Achilles' heelD Sidler
Institute of Pathology, Experimental Pathology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Oncogene 31:4095-106. 2012..Although GSTP1 overexpression generally limits chemotherapy and thus antitumor treatment, our study identifies GSTP1 as Achilles' heel and thiazolides as novel interesting apoptosis sensitizer for the treatment of colorectal tumors...
- [The role of lymph nodes in colon carcinoma]C A Maurer
Klinik für Viszerale und Transplantationschirurgie, Inselspital Bern
Zentralbl Chir 125:863-9. 2000..In-hospital mortality was 4/198 patients (2%) and surgical morbidity occurred in 29/198 patients (15%). We recommend radical colonic resections in all potentially curable patients with colonic cancer...
- The influence of the surgeon's and the hospital's caseload on survival and local recurrence after colorectal cancer surgeryPietro Renzulli
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Inselspital, University of Berne, Switzerland
Surgery 139:296-304. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: High surgeon's and hospital's annual caseloads are strong, independent prognostic factors for extending overall and disease-free survival and reducing the rate of local recurrence in 2 randomized colorectal cancer trials...
- Systematic review of atraumatic splenic ruptureP Renzulli
Department of Visceral Surgery and Medicine, Inselspital, Berne University Hospital, and University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Br J Surg 96:1114-21. 2009..Atraumatic splenic rupture (ASR) is an ill defined clinicopathological entity...
- Management of blunt injuries to the spleenP Renzulli
Department of Visceral Surgery and Medicine, Inselspital, Berne University Hospital, and University of Berne, Switzerland
Br J Surg 97:1696-703. 2010..Non-operative management (NOM) of blunt splenic injuries is nowadays considered the standard treatment. The present study identified selection criteria for primary operative management (OM) and planned NOM...
- Colon cancer cells produce immunoregulatory glucocorticoidsD Sidler
Division of Experimental Pathology, Institute of Pathology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Oncogene 30:2411-9. 2011..This study describes for the first time cortisol synthesis in a non-endocrine tumor in humans, and suggests that the synthesis of bioactive GCs in colon cancer cells may account as a novel mechanism of tumor immune escape...
- The impact of the introduction of total mesorectal excision on local recurrence rate and survival in rectal cancer: long-term resultsC A Maurer
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Ann Surg Oncol 18:1899-906. 2011..To investigate the influence of the introduction of total mesorectal excision (TME) on local recurrence rate and survival in patients with rectal cancer...
- Total mesorectal excision preserves male genital function compared with conventional rectal cancer surgeryC A Maurer
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery and Gastroenterology, Inselspital, University of Bern, CH-3010 Bern, Switzerland
Br J Surg 88:1501-5. 2001..However, TME offers a significant advantage with regard to preservation of postoperative sexual function in men and constitutes a true advance in rectal cancer surgery compared with conventional techniques...
- [Acute "difficult" gastrointestinal bleeding]P Renzulli
, Inselspital, , Bern
Ther Umsch 63:311-9. 2006..The importance of further diagnostic modalities such as scintigraphy, capsule endoscopy, push-enteroscopy and double-balloon-enteroscopy is discussed...
- Colon interposition for esophageal replacement: a single-center experiencePietro Renzulli
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Berne, Inselspital, Switzerland
Langenbecks Arch Surg 389:128-33. 2004..Colon interposition, however, is a valuable alternative with a good long-term function. Early mortality, however, remains a matter of serious concern...