Affiliation: University Hospital
- [Mental changes in hypo- and hyperthyroidism]C Meier
, , Departement Innere Medizin, , Kantonsspital Basel, Switzerland
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:1145-50. 2002
- Is there a clinical relevance of partial androgen deficiency of the aging male?Mirjam Christ-Crain
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University Hospitals, Basel, Switzerland
J Urol 172:624-7. 2004..We investigate the association between various T measures and clinical and biochemical parameters of the aging male...
- Use of thiazolidinediones and fracture riskChristian Meier
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital Basel, Hebelstrasse 2, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Arch Intern Med 168:820-5. 2008..Thiazolidinediones may adversely affect the skeleton owing to decreased bone formation and accelerated bone loss...
- TSH-controlled L-thyroxine therapy reduces cholesterol levels and clinical symptoms in subclinical hypothyroidism: a double blind, placebo-controlled trial (Basel Thyroid Study)C Meier
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Central Laboratories, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4860-6. 2001..An important risk reduction of cardiovascular mortality of 9-31% can be estimated from the observed improvement in low density lipoprotein cholesterol...
- Serum thyroid stimulating hormone in assessment of severity of tissue hypothyroidism in patients with overt primary thyroid failure: cross sectional surveyChristian Meier
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University Hospital, CH-4031 Basle, Switzerland
BMJ 326:311-2. 2003
- Pro-A-type and N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptides in different thyroid function statesM Christ-Crain
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 135:549-54. 2005....
- Basal TSH levels compared with TRH-stimulated TSH levels to diagnose different degrees of TSH suppression: diagnostic and therapeutic impact of assay performanceM Christ-Crain
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospitals, Petersgraben, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Invest 32:931-7. 2002..If, however, only a second generation TSH assay is available, additional TRH testing allows a more careful titration of suppressive thyroxine therapy...
- Value of gonadotropin-releasing hormone testing in the differential diagnosis of androgen deficiency in elderly menM Christ-Crain
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1280-6. 2005..To exclude secondary hypogonadism in PADAM, diagnostic accuracy can be improved by using GnRH testing...
- Comparison of different methods for the measurement of serum testosterone in the aging maleM Christ-Crain
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Clinical Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals, Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 134:193-7. 2004..However, there is an ongoing controversy as to which T assay is most appropriate in defining T deficiency in the aging male...
- Combined stimulation of adrenocorticotropin and compound-S by single dose metyrapone test as an outpatient procedure to assess hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal functionK Berneis
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Clinical Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:5470-5. 2002..Despite the relatively high cross-reactivity of CMP-S in the cortisol assay, the sum of CMP-S and cortisol levels with a cut-off value of 450 nmol/liter yields a better diagnostic accuracy compared with CMP-S alone...
- Prospective study of the spontaneous course of subclinical hypothyroidism: prognostic value of thyrotropin, thyroid reserve, and thyroid antibodiesGerold Huber
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University Clinic of Medicine B, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3221-6. 2002..0-15.6). Our study helps to recognize the spontaneous course of subclinical hypothyroidism and in the identification of patients most likely to progress to overt hypothyroidism...
- Restoration of euthyroidism accelerates bone turnover in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism: a randomized controlled trialChristian Meier
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University Hospitals, CH 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Osteoporos Int 15:209-16. 2004..However, long-term studies are needed to confirm this assumption...
- Elevated C-reactive protein and homocysteine values: cardiovascular risk factors in hypothyroidism? A cross-sectional and a double-blind, placebo-controlled trialMirjam Christ-Crain
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology, and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospitals, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Atherosclerosis 166:379-86. 2003..In contrast to overt disease, only CRP, but not tHcy values, are affected in SCH, yet without significant improvement after L-thyroxine therapy...
- Age-related changes in serum testosterone and sex hormone binding globulin in Australian men: longitudinal analyses of two geographically separate regional cohortsPeter Y Liu
Department of Andrology, Concord Hospital and ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales 2139, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3599-603. 2007..Cross-sectional studies from different populations show a variable decline in blood testosterone concentrations as men age. Few population representative cohorts have been followed up over time...
- Bone turnover in elderly men: relationships to change in bone mineral densityTuan V Nguyen
Bone and Mineral Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 8:13. 2007..an individual; (ii) is there a relationship between baseline measurements of bone turnover markers and subsequent change in BMD; and (iii) is there a relationship between changes in bone turnover markers and changes in femoral neck BMD?..
- Repeated measurement of pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) in Down syndrome screening: a validation studyGlenn E Palomaki
Women and Infants Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Prenat Diagn 26:730-9. 2006..To confirm that measuring pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) in both first- and second-trimester serum samples improves Down syndrome screening...
- Use of recombinant human thyroid-stimulating hormone in the management of well-differentiated thyroid cancerMarius E Kraenzlin
University Hospital Basel, Clinic for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Missionsstrasse 24, CH 4055 Basel, Switzerland
Expert Opin Biol Ther 6:167-76. 2006..In addition, rhTSH has potential for use in facilitating the treatment of metastasis in patients with DTC and in patients with non-toxic nodular goiter; however, more clinical trials are needed to confirm its use in these situations...
- Endocrine regulation of bone turnover in menChristian Meier
Bone Research Program, ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney, Concord, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 63:603-16. 2005
- Seasonal variation of bone turnover?Markus J Seibel
J Bone Miner Res 19:168-9; author reply 170-1. 2004
- Bone resorption and osteoporotic fractures in elderly men: the dubbo osteoporosis epidemiology studyChristian Meier
Bone Research Program, ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 20:579-87. 2005..3 years, high bone resorption as assessed by S-ICTP was associated with increased risk of osteoporotic fracture, independent of BMD. Combining measurements of BMD and bone turnover may improve fracture prediction in elderly men...
- Prolactin dysregulation in women with subclinical hypothyroidism: effect of levothyroxine replacement therapyChristian Meier
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology, and Clinical Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals, Basel, Switzerland
Thyroid 13:979-85. 2003....
- Recombinant human chorionic gonadotropin but not dihydrotestosterone alone stimulates osteoblastic collagen synthesis in older men with partial age-related androgen deficiencyChristian Meier
Bone Research Program, ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney, Concord, NSW 2139, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3033-41. 2004..If androgen supplementation is required for aging men, aromatizable androgens with sufficient endogenous estrogenic activity may have the most beneficial effects on bone...