Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Geneva
- Alteration in kinase activity but not in protein levels of protein kinase B and glycogen synthase kinase-3beta in ventral prefrontal cortex of depressed suicide victimsFelicien Karege
Department of Psychiatry, Geneva University Hospitals, Chene Bourg, Geneva, Switzerland
Biol Psychiatry 61:240-5. 2007..In this study, we aimed to examine possible abnormality in the Akt/glycogen synthase kinase-3beta (GSK-3beta) axis of depressed suicide victims' brains...
- Differential changes of cAMP-dependent protein kinase activity and 3H-cAMP binding sites in rat hippocampus during maturation and agingF Karege
Geneva University Hospital Belle Idée, Division of Neuropsychiatry, Chemin du Petit Bel Air 2, CH 1225 Chene Bourg, Geneva, Switzerland
Neurosci Lett 315:89-92. 2001..001). It is suggested the changes in PKA R subunit levels reflect an adaptative role in maturing process, a role which is lost in aging phase...
- Drug-induced decrease of protein kinase a activity reveals alteration in BDNF expression of bipolar affective disorderFelicien Karege
Geneva University Hospitals Belle Idée, Division of Neuropsychiatry, Chêne Bourg Geneva, Switzerland
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:805-12. 2004..These findings, combined with previous reports, provide a new insight to explain pharmacological features in different diagnostic groups...
- The cAMP-dependent protein kinase A and brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in lymphoblast cells of bipolar affective disorderFelicien Karege
Geneva University Hospitals, Division of Neuropsychiatry, ch Petit Bel Air, 2 CH 1225 Chêne Bourg, Geneva, Switzerland
J Affect Disord 79:187-92. 2004..Abnormalities in cAMP signaling and altered expression of downstream targets such as brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) have been postulated in patients with bipolar disorder (BD)...
- Low brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) levels in serum of depressed patients probably results from lowered platelet BDNF release unrelated to platelet reactivityFelicien Karege
Service of Neuropsychiatry, Geneva University Hospitals Belle Idée, Chêne Bourg Geneva, Switzerland
Biol Psychiatry 57:1068-72. 2005..Decreased serum BDNF levels have been reported in major depression, but the cause of this decrease has not yet been investigated. The goal of this study was to assess blood BDNF and a platelet activation index, PF4...
- Neurotrophin levels in postmortem brains of suicide victims and the effects of antemortem diagnosis and psychotropic drugsFelicien Karege
Geneva University Hospitals, Department of Psychiatry, 2 ch Petit Bel Air, CH 1225 Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 136:29-37. 2005..A better understanding of the neurobiology of suicide could help detect populations at risk...
- Partial normalization of serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor in remitted patients after a major depressive episodeNicola Gervasoni
Department of Psychiatry, Geneva University Hospital, 16 18 boulevard Saint Georges, CH 1205 Geneva, Switzerland
Neuropsychobiology 51:234-8. 2005..These results suggest that antidepressant treatment has a positive effect on serum BDNF levels and support the hypothesis of neurotrophic factor involvement in affective disorders...
- Decreased serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels in major depressed patientsFelicien Karege
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Division of Neuropsychiatry, Geneva University Hospitals, 2 Chemin du Petit Bel Air, CH 1225 Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Psychiatry Res 109:143-8. 2002..These results suggest that major depression is characterized by low serum BDNF levels and support the hypothesis of neurotrophic factor involvement in affective disorders...
- Genetic overlap between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder: a study with AKT1 gene variants and clinical phenotypesFelicien Karege
Geneva University Hospitals, Department of Medical Genetics and Laboratory ch Petit Bel Air 2 1225 Chêne Bourg, Switzerland
Schizophr Res 135:8-14. 2012..In this study, our aim was to determine whether AKT1 gene variants are associated with particular phenotypes for schizophrenia (SCZ) and bipolar disorder (BPD)...
- Protein levels of ?-catenin and activation state of glycogen synthase kinase-3? in major depression. A study with postmortem prefrontal cortexFelicien Karege
Geneva University Hospitals, Department of Medical Genetics and Laboratory, 2 ch Petit Bel Air, CH 1225 Chene Bourg, Switzerland
J Affect Disord 136:185-8. 2012..The Wnt/GSK3? signaling pathway was implicated in mood disorders. Beta-catenin is a protein targeted by this signaling axis. We aimed to examine whether there is an abnormality in this signaling axis in major depression...
- Postnatal developmental profile of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in rat brain and plateletsFelicien Karege
Geneva University Hospitals Belle Idée, Division of Neuropsychiatry, 2 Chemin du Petit Bel Air, CH 1225 Chene Bourg, Geneva, Switzerland
Neurosci Lett 328:261-4. 2002..81, P<0.01), especially in young animals. This study of ontogenic characteristics of BDNF in blood and central nervous system can help to shed more light on the role of platelet BDNF...
- Alterations in phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase activity and PTEN phosphatase in the prefrontal cortex of depressed suicide victimsFelicien Karege
Department of Psychiatry, Geneva University Hospitals, Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Neuropsychobiology 63:224-31. 2011..The aim of the present study was to investigate possible impairment of the upstream regulators, namely phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K) and PTEN...
- Early effects of mood stabilizers on the Akt/GSK-3beta signaling pathway and on cell survival and proliferationJean Michel Aubry
Department of Psychiatry, Bipolar Program, Geneva University Hospitals and University of Geneva, 6 8 rue du 31 Décembre, CH 1207 Geneva, Switzerland
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 205:419-29. 2009..Molecular targets and cellular events that mediate their effects have been described for these drugs but are only partially unraveled. Few comparative studies have been performed...
- A non-radioactive assay for the cAMP-dependent protein kinase activity in rat brain homogenates and age-related changes in hippocampus and cortexF Karege
Division of Neuropsychiatry, Laboratory of Biochemistry, Geneva University Hospitals, Chemin du Petit Bel Air 2, CH 1225 Chêne Bourg Geneva, Switzerland
Brain Res 903:86-93. 2001..The PKA ratio was higher in cytosol than in particulate fraction, and was decreased in hippocampal sample from old rats (P<0.05). This last result was interpreted as related to the loss of cognitive capacities in old animals...
- Association of AKT1 gene variants and protein expression in both schizophrenia and bipolar disorderF Karege
Department of Medical Genetics and Laboratory, Geneva University Hospitals and Geneva University, Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Genes Brain Behav 9:503-11. 2010....
- Lithium and haloperidol treatments differently affect the mononuclear leukocyte Galphas protein levels in bipolar affective disorderF Karege
Division of Neuropsychiatry, Geneva University Hospitals, Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Neuropsychobiology 39:181-6. 1999..9 +/- 37%; NS). The data indicate that lithium and haloperidol affect the mechanism of Galphas protein signal transduction differently, consistent with previous animal studies...
- Association between brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene and a severe form of bipolar disorder, but no interaction with the serotonin transporter geneIlona Vincze
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Bipolar Disord 10:580-7. 2008..Our hypothesis is that some BDNF and 5HTT polymorphisms might confer increased risk for BD and SB and that both genes may interact with each other...
- Increased DNA methylation status of the serotonin receptor 5HTR1A gene promoter in schizophrenia and bipolar disorderAnthony Carrard
Geneva University Hospitals, Department of Medical Genetics and Laboratory, 2 ch Petit Bel Air, 1225 Chene Bourg, Switzerland
J Affect Disord 132:450-3. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the methylation status of a promoter region of the 5HTR1A gene in BPD and SCZ patients...