Affiliation: University Hospital
- Assessing efficacy of chronic therapy when disease is characterized by frequent relapses: the example of schizophreniaAlfredo Morabia
Clinical Epidemiology Division, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
J Clin Epidemiol 55:350-7. 2002..This analysis revealed that the risk of current schizophrenic relapse is reduced by continuous medication (previous month and current month) but not necessarily by discontinuous medication...
- Effect of religion on suicide attempts in outpatients with schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorders compared with inpatients with non-psychotic disordersPhilippe Huguelet
Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Departement de Psychiatrie, Service de Psychiatrie Adulte, Secteur 1 Eaux Vives, Rue du 31 Décembre 36, CH 1207 Geneve, Switzerland
Eur Psychiatry 22:188-94. 2007..Interventions aiming to lower the number of suicide attempts in patients with schizophrenia should take these data into account...
- The assessment of spirituality and religiousness in schizophreniaSylvia Mohr
Division of Adult Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Nerv Ment Dis 195:247-53. 2007..Our clinical grid is suitable for this purpose. It proved its applicability to a broad diversity of religious beliefs, even pathological ones. Interjudge reliability and construct validity were high and specific training is not required...
- [Income and expenses of patients with chronic psychosis]Philippe Huguelet
Departement de Psychiatrie, HUG, Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 3:2085-9. 2007..However, patients should be helped to use their discretionary money in ways more prone to help recovery...
- The contribution of existential phenomenology in the recovery-oriented care of patients with severe mental disordersPhilippe Huguelet
University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Med Philos 39:346-67. 2014..This paper describes these elements to give clinicians insights into this complex topic. ..
- [Study of the impact of an assertive community program on the families of patients with severe mental disorders]P Huguelet
Service de Psychiatrie Générale, Département de santé mentale et de psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Rue du 31 Décembre 36, Secteur 1, Eaux Vives, 1207 Genève, Suisse
Encephale 38:201-10. 2012..This paper aims to describe the impact of a new ACT program in Geneva on patients and their families' burden...
- Effects of an assertive community program in patients with severe mental disorders and impact on their familiesPhilippe Huguelet
Division of General Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 66:328-36. 2012..This paper aims to describe the impact of a newly implemented ACT program on patients and their families' burden. Predictive factors have also been examined...
- A randomized trial of spiritual assessment of outpatients with schizophrenia: patients' and clinicians' experiencePhilippe Huguelet
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospitals of Geneva and University of Geneva, 36 Rue de 31 Décembre, Geneva 1207, Switzerland
Psychiatr Serv 62:79-86. 2011....
- Religious explanatory models in patients with psychosis: a three-year follow-up studyP Huguelet
Division of Adult Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva and University of Geneva, Rue du 31 Décembre 36, Geneva, Switzerland
Psychopathology 43:230-9. 2010....
- Influence of spirituality and religiousness on substance misuse in patients with schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorderPhilippe Huguelet
Departement de Psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Geneve, Switzerland
Subst Use Misuse 44:502-13. 2009..It played a negative role in 3% of cases. Religion may play a role in the recovery of schizophrenia patients with substance misuse comorbidity...
- Spirituality and religious practices among outpatients with schizophrenia and their cliniciansPhilippe Huguelet
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospitals of Geneva, Rue du 31 Décembre 36, 1207, Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatr Serv 57:366-72. 2006..This study examined the spirituality and religious practices of outpatients with schizophrenia compared with their clinicians. Clinicians' knowledge of patients' religious involvement and spirituality was investigated...
- Effect of topiramate augmentation on two patients suffering from schizophrenia or bipolar disorder with comorbid alcohol abusePhilippe Huguelet
Departement de Psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, 36 Rue du XXXI Décembre, 1207 Geneva, Switzerland
Pharmacol Res 52:392-4. 2005..Certain studies have shown the efficacy of topiramate in alcoholic patients without such associated disorders, but further research is needed for this special population...
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's psychopathology in light of the current conceptualization of psychiatric disordersPhilippe Huguelet
Department of Psychiatry of Geneva, Service de Psychiatrie Adulte, 36, rue du XXXI Décembre, CH 1207 Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatry 68:130-9. 2005..We discuss a means of overcoming this limitation by considering the concept of "soft bipolar spectrum," a conceptualization that corresponds to Mozart's psychiatric history...
- Relationship between subjective cognitive symptoms and frontal executive abilities in chronic schizophrenic outpatientsA Zanello
Departement de Psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Switzerland
Psychopathology 34:153-8. 2001..Also, subjective self-perceived basic symptoms and neurocognitive functioning may be unrelated, because these concepts are based on different theoretical backgrounds...
- The relationship between schizophrenia and religion and its implications for careSylvia Mohr
Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Departement de Psychiatrie, Geneve
Swiss Med Wkly 134:369-76. 2004..In the treatment of these patients, it appears useful to tolerate diversity, to respect others beliefs, to ban proselytism and to have a good knowledge of one's own spiritual identity...
- Religion and spirituality: how clinicians in quebec and geneva cope with the issue when faced with patients suffering from chronic psychosisLaurence Borras
Division of Adult Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva and University of Geneva, Rue du 31 Décembre 36, 1207, Geneva, Switzerland
Community Ment Health J 46:77-86. 2010..Many clinicians were unaware of their patients' religious involvement, even if they reported feeling comfortable with the issue. Both areas displayed strikingly similar results, which supports their generalization...
- [Spirituality, religious practices and schizophrenia: relevance for the clinician]S Mohr
Service de psychiatrie adulte secteur I, Departement de Psychiatrie, HUG, Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 2:2092-4, 2096-8. 2006..It proved its applicability to a broad diversity of religious beliefs, even pathological ones. Inter-judge reliability and construct validity were high and specific training is not required...
- [Long-term psychiatric consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning: a case report and literature review]L Borras
Consultation secteur Eaux Vives, division de psychiatrie adulte, Departement de Psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, 36, rue du XXXI Décembre, 1207 Genève, Suisse
Rev Med Interne 30:43-8. 2009..First and foremost prevention and education remain the key solution to the reduction of morbidity and mortality of COI...
- Evolution of spirituality and religiousness in chronic schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorders: a 3-years follow-up studySylvia Mohr
Division of Adult Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva and University of Geneva, Rue du 31 Décembre 36, 1207, Geneva, Switzerland
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 45:1095-103. 2010..Religion may also be a source of suffering. In this context, this research explores whether religion remains stable over time...
- Toward an integration of spirituality and religiousness into the psychosocial dimension of schizophreniaSylvia Mohr
University Hospital of Geneva, Department of Psychiatry, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Psychiatry 163:1952-9. 2006..This study aimed to assess the role of religion as a mediating variable in the process of coping with psychotic illness...
- Religious beliefs in schizophrenia: their relevance for adherence to treatmentL Borras
Schizophr Bull 33:1238-46. 2007..This dimension should be on the agenda of psychiatrists working with patients with schizophrenia...
- Influence of spirituality and religiousness on smoking among patients with schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorder in SwitzerlandLaurence Borras
University Hospital of Geneva, Department of Psychiatry, Division of Adult Psychiatry, Geneva, Switzerland
Int J Soc Psychiatry 54:539-49. 2008..The rates of cigarette smoking among patients with schizophrenia are two to four times the rates observed in the community. Spirituality and religiousness have been shown to be associated with lower smoking rates in the general population...
- Predictors of response and drop-out during intensive dialectical behavior therapyNader Perroud
Department of Psychiatry, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Pers Disord 24:634-50. 2010..A discussion on the usefulness of a second course of treatment should be held with patients and staff as it was not effective in reducing depression and hopelessness...
- Schizophrenia and beta-thalassemia: a genetic link?Laurence Borras
University Hospitals of Geneva, Department of Psychiatry, Division of Adult Psychiatry, Rue du 31 Décembre 36, 1207 Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatry Res 158:260-1. 2008..A known genetic disease (beta-thalassemia) could help confirm the presence, on the short arm of chromosome 11, of a genetic susceptibility factor for schizophrenia...
- Delusions with religious content in patients with psychosis: how they interact with spiritual copingSylvia Mohr
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatry 73:158-72. 2010..In treating patients with such symptoms, clinicians should go beyond the label of "religious delusion," likely to involve stigmatization, by considering how delusions interact with patients' clinical and psychosocial context...
- Schizophrenia and pathological gamblingLaurence Borras
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva, Division of Adult Psychiatry, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Addict 16:269-71. 2007..The characteristics of possible interactions between pathological gambling and schizophrenic symptom profiles are outlined in order to propose better treatments for this group of patients...
- [Prevalence and characteristics of neuroleptic association in a patient cohort with psychotic disorders]Philippe Huguelet
Médecin adjoint agrégé responsable de secteur, Service de Psychiatrie Adulte, Departement de Psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve
Can J Psychiatry 51:774-82. 2006..Therefore, it is especially important to determine the scope of this practice and to better understand the characteristics of affected patients to identify which associations to study first...
- Cognitive functions related to interpersonal problem-solving skills in schizophrenic patients compared with healthy subjectsAdriano Zanello
Departement de Psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, 8, rue du XXXI Décembre, 1207 Genève, Switzerland
Psychiatry Res 142:67-78. 2006..The results support the inclusion of cognitive remediation programs designed to enhance social skills for patients where a cognitive deficit is clearly ascertained...
- A measure of dysfunctional eating-related cognitions in people with psychotic disordersYasser Khazaal
Geneva University Hospitals, 1205 Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatr Q 81:49-56. 2010..Binge eating disorder is also correlated to the Rigid Weight Regulation and Fear of Weight Gain subscale. The BMAC is a useful brief measure to assess eating and weight related cognitions in people with psychotic disorders...
- Spirituality and religiousness as predictive factors of outcome in schizophrenia and schizo-affective disordersSylvia Mohr
University of Geneva, Division of Adult Psychiatry, 1207 Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatry Res 186:177-82. 2011..In some cases, however, spirituality and religiousness are a source of suffering. Helpful vs. harmful spiritual/religious coping appears to be of clinical significance...
- Delusional "pseudotranssexualism" in schizophreniaLaurence Borras
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospitals of Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatry 70:175-9. 2007..Considering the irreversible consequences of surgery and its medico-legal implications, these patients should be properly detected...
- Increased methylation of glucocorticoid receptor gene (NR3C1) in adults with a history of childhood maltreatment: a link with the severity and type of traumaN Perroud
Department of Psychiatry, University of Geneva, Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Transl Psychiatry 1:e59. 2011..These findings suggest that early life events may permanently impact on the HPA axis though epigenetic modifications of the NR3C1. This is a mechanism by which childhood maltreatment may lead to adulthood psychopathology...
- A study of visual and auditory verbal working memory in schizophrenic patients compared to healthy subjectsP Huguelet
Dpartement de Psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 250:79-85. 2000..These results suggest a similar pattern of alteration of both modalities of verbal WM in schizophrenic patients. The implications of this finding are discussed...
- Stability of DSM-III-R diagnoses: study of a case registerP Huguelet
Departement de Psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Psychopathology 34:118-22. 2001..Statistical analysis did not show any variable associated with change, apart from the diagnoses themselves. The reasons that could explain changes are discussed, as well as the clinical consequences of these shifts...
- Cyclic AMP-mediated signaling components are upregulated in the prefrontal cortex of depressed suicide victimsY Odagaki
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Brain Res 898:224-31. 2001..These results indicate that the components of cyclic AMP signaling are upregulated in a coordinated manner in brains of depressed suicides and that this alteration is not related to antidepressant treatment...
- Patients with schizophrenia and their finances: how they spend their moneyLaurence Borras
Division of Adult Psychiatry, Dept of Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva, 36, rue du 31 Décembre, 1207, Geneva, Switzerland
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 42:977-83. 2007..However, the ability to budget is a predictive factor in rehabilitation. An assessment of financial management skills could make it possible to develop more appropriate psycho-social assistance...
- Pulmonary thromboembolism associated with olanzapine and risperidoneLaurence Borras
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Adult Psychiatry, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Emerg Med 35:159-61. 2008..They should also be closely monitored to ensure early detection and prompt treatment of VTE...
- Patients with schizophrenia and their finances: what they earn and ownPhilippe Huguelet
Swiss Med Wkly 138:150. 2008
- Successful treatment of nicotine withdrawal with duloxetine: a case reportNader Perroud
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:102-4. 2008
- Hypertension and aripiprazoleLaurence Borras
Am J Psychiatry 162:2392. 2005