Affiliation: University of Zurich
- Willow bark extract (BNO1455) and its fractions suppress growth and induce apoptosis in human colon and lung cancer cellsKatarina Hostanska
University Hospital Zurich, Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Complementary Medicine, FGel 102, Ramistrasse 100, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Cancer Detect Prev 31:129-39. 2007....
- Cytostatic and apoptosis-inducing activity of boswellic acids toward malignant cell lines in vitroKatarina Hostanska
Departmment of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Anticancer Res 22:2853-62. 2002..The results of this study suggest the effectiveness of Boswellia serrata extract with defined content of boswellic acids...
- Hyperforin a constituent of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) extract induces apoptosis by triggering activation of caspases and with hypericin synergistically exerts cytotoxicity towards human malignant cell linesKatarina Hostanska
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 56:121-32. 2003..Cytocidal effects of HP and its cooperation with HY on tumor growth inhibition in a synergistic manner make the St John's wort an interesting option in cancer warranting further in vitro and in vivo investigation...
- Comparison of the growth-inhibitory effect of Hypericum perforatum L. extracts, differing in the concentration of phloroglucinols and flavonoids, on leukaemia cellsKatarina Hostanska
Department of Internal Medicine F NUK 104, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:973-80. 2003..5 microM flavonoids. The results of this study supported the hypothesis that, apart from hyperforin and flavonoids, other components of the extract could be involved in its growth-inhibitory effect that it exerts without light activation...
- Evaluation of cell death caused by triterpene glycosides and phenolic substances from Cimicifuga racemosa extract in human MCF-7 breast cancer cellsKatarina Hostanska
Department of Internal Medicine F GEL 102, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Biol Pharm Bull 27:1970-5. 2004..In addition, TTG and CAE compounds significantly contributed to its apoptotic effect, CAE being the more potent inhibitor of proliferation and apoptosis inducer...
- Evaluation of cell death caused by an ethanolic extract of Serenoae repentis fructus (Prostasan) on human carcinoma cell linesKatarina Hostanska
University Hospital Zurich, Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Complementary Medicine, Ramistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Anticancer Res 27:873-81. 2007..The lipido-sterolic extract of the fruit of Serenoa repens is one of the more widely used phytotherapeutic agents in this regard...
- Inhibitory effect of an isopropanolic extract of black cohosh on the invasiveness of MDA-mB 231 human breast cancer cellsKatarina Hostanska
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Complementary Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
In Vivo 21:349-55. 2007..To broaden observations, the anti-invasive effects of iCR and its two major fractions triterpene glycosides (TTG) and cinnamic acid esters (CAE) were tested in highly invasive MDA-MB 231 cells...
- Apoptosis of human prostate androgen-dependent and -independent carcinoma cells induced by an isopropanolic extract of black cohosh involves degradation of cytokeratin (CK) 18Katarina Hostanska
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Anticancer Res 25:139-47. 2005..The cell growth inhibitory effect of an isopropanolic extract of black cohosh (iCR) on androgen-sensitive LNCaP and androgen-insensitive PC-3 and DU 145 prostate cancer cells was investigated...
- A homeopathic remedy from arnica, marigold, St. John's wort and comfrey accelerates in vitro wound scratch closure of NIH 3T3 fibroblastsKatarina Hostanska
Institute for Complementary Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Raemistrasse 100, Zurich 8091, Switzerland
BMC Complement Altern Med 12:100. 2012..The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of a commercial low potency homeopathic remedy Similasan® Arnica plus Spray on wound closure in a controlled, blind trial in vitro...
- Efficacy and safety of mistletoe preparations (Viscum album) for patients with cancer diseases. A systematic reviewJörg Melzer
Institute of Complementary Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Forsch Komplementmed 16:217-26. 2009..Mistletoe is often used as a complementary approach in oncology. Despite experimental anti-tumour effects and several reviews there remains controversy about its clinical role...
- Suppression of interleukin (IL)-8 and human beta defensin-2 secretion in LPS-and/or IL-1β-stimulated airway epithelial A549 cells by a herbal formulation against respiratory infections (BNO 1030)Katarina Hostanska
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Complementary Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Raemistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Ethnopharmacol 134:228-33. 2011....
- Mechanisms involved in spontaneous and Viscum album agglutinin-I-induced human neutrophil apoptosis: Viscum album agglutinin-I accelerates the loss of antiapoptotic Mcl-1 expression and the degradation of cytoskeletal paxillin and vimentin proteins via caValérie Lavastre
Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut Armand Frappier Santé Humaine, Universite du Quebec, 245 boulevard Hymus, Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada H9R 1G6
J Immunol 168:1419-27. 2002..Also, we conclude that VAA-I induces apoptosis by ROS-independent and Mcl-1-dependent mechanisms and that caspases are involved in cytoskeletal protein degradation in both spontaneous and VAA-I-induced neutrophil apoptosis...