Affiliation: University Hospital
- On measuring mindfulness in psychosomatic and psychological researchPaul Grossman
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, University of Basel Hospital, Hebelstrasse 2, CH4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Psychosom Res 64:405-8. 2008
- The LifeShirt: a multi-function ambulatory system monitoring health, disease, and medical intervention in the real worldPaul Grossman
University of Freiburg and FIMR, Konradstrasse 32, 79100 Freiburg, Germany
Stud Health Technol Inform 108:133-41. 2004..Clinical applications include sleep diagnostics, heart disease, pulmonary disorders, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, early hospital discharge and pre- and post-operative monitoring, human-factors in ergonomics and behavioral medicine...
- Toward understanding respiratory sinus arrhythmia: relations to cardiac vagal tone, evolution and biobehavioral functionsPaul Grossman
Department of Psychosomatic and Internal Medicine, Psychophysiology Research Laboratory, University of Basel Hospital, Hebelstrasse 2, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Biol Psychol 74:263-85. 2007..Finally, a recent hypothesis is expanded upon, in which RSA plays a primary role in regulation of energy exchange by means of synchronizing respiratory and cardiovascular processes during metabolic and behavioral change...
- Accuracy of ventilatory measurement employing ambulatory inductive plethysmography during tasks of everyday lifePaul Grossman
Psychosomatic and Internal Medicine, University of Basel Hospital, Hebelstrasse 2, Basel, Switzerland
Biol Psychol 84:121-8. 2010....
- Mindfulness training as an intervention for fibromyalgia: evidence of postintervention and 3-year follow-up benefits in well-beingPaul Grossman
Division of Psychosomatic Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Basel Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Psychother Psychosom 76:226-33. 2007..Studies suggest improvements in general aspects of well-being, including quality of life (QoL), coping and positive affect, as well as decreased anxiety and depression...
- Defining mindfulness by how poorly I think I pay attention during everyday awareness and other intractable problems for psychology's (re)invention of mindfulness: comment on Brown et al. (2011)Paul Grossman
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Psychol Assess 23:1034-40; discussion 1041-6. 2011..Psychologists should consider pursuing this avenue before attempting to characterize and quantify mindfulness...
- Patterns of objective physical functioning and perception of mood and fatigue in posttreatment breast cancer patients and healthy controls: an ambulatory psychophysiological investigationPaul Grossman
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, University of Basel Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Psychosom Med 70:819-28. 2008..Time-since-treatment also served as an independent variable. Few studies have examined adjustment of breast cancer patients after primary treatment or objectively characterized posttreatment, everyday patterns of functioning...
- Distinguishing emotional from physical activation in ambulatory psychophysiological monitoringFrank H Wilhelm
Institute for Psychology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Biomed Sci Instrum 42:458-63. 2006..This can be achieved by specific channels such as accelerometry, items in an electronic diary, semi-structured protocols, and statistical modeling...
- Impact of laughter on air trapping in severe chronic obstructive lung diseaseMartin H Brutsche
University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:185-92. 2008..In conclusion, smiling induced by a humor intervention was able to reduce hyperinflation in patients with severe COPD. A smiling-derived breathing technique might complement pursed-lips breathing in patients with symptomatic obstruction...
- Swiss Cancer League communication skills training programme for oncology nurses: an evaluationWolf Langewitz
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basle, Switzerland
J Adv Nurs 66:2266-77. 2010..This paper is a report of an evaluation of the effectiveness of a communication skills training programme for oncology nurses...
- Reliability of respiratory tidal volume estimation by means of ambulatory inductive plethysmographyPaul Grossman
Psychosomatic and Internal Medicine, University of Basel Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Biomed Sci Instrum 42:193-8. 2006..Findings also point to the stability of individual differences in respiratory parameters over consecutive weeks...
- Culturally sensitive group therapy for Turkish patients suffering from chronic pain: a randomised controlled intervention trialMarina Sleptsova
University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 143:w13875. 2013..Therapeutic interventions in this population are far less effective than in patients for whom these programmes were originally developed...
- Assessment of heart rate variability during alterations in stress: complex demodulation vs. spectral analysisFrank H Wilhelm
Institute for Psychology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Biomed Sci Instrum 41:346-51. 2005..CDM may also hold promise for a range of physiological and environmental non-steady state conditions where rapid dynamic alterations in autonomic control are likely to occur...
- Receiving the diagnosis of lung cancer: patient recall of information and satisfaction with physician communicationSabine Gabrijel
Division of Psychosomatic Medicine, University Hospital, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 26:297-302. 2008..Little is known about the information newly diagnosed patients with lung cancer recall and how satisfied they are with physicians' communication...
- Psychological and quality-of-life outcomes from a comprehensive stress reduction and lifestyle program in patients with coronary artery disease: results of a randomized trialAndreas Michalsen
Kliniken Essen Mitte, Chair of Complementary and Integrative Medicine of the University Duisburg Essen, Department of Internal Medicine V and Integrative Medicine, Essen, Germany
Psychother Psychosom 74:344-52. 2005..Given recent significant improvements in cardiac care, we evaluated the current benefit of stress reduction/lifestyle modification on QoL and emotional distress in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Challenges to conventional thinking about mind and bodyPaul Grossman
Freiburg Institute for Mindfulness Research, Konradstrasse 32, 79100, Freiburg, Germany
J Psychosom Res 55:491-2. 2003
- Associations among salivary cortisol, melatonin, catecholamines, sleep quality and stress in women with breast cancer and healthy controlsLinda E Carlson
Department of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
J Behav Med 30:45-58. 2007..These results are consistent with other studies of early-stage breast cancer and highlight the importance of considering disease characteristics when investigating endocrine and sympathetic nervous system functioning...
- Does mindfulness meditation contribute to health? Outcome evaluation of a German sampleMarcus Majumdar
Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Department of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Freiburg, Germany
J Altern Complement Med 8:719-30; discussion 731-5. 2002..This exploratory study is the first systematic outcome evaluation to examine the effects of an 8-week meditation-based program in mindfulness in a German sample...
- Whither vagal toneGary G Berntson
The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Biol Psychol 74:295-300. 2007..We here consider the biological foundations for this view, discuss some methodological and interpretative caveats for RSA applications and offer suggestions for further development of the field...
- Improving estimation of cardiac vagal tone during spontaneous breathing using a paced breathing calibrationFrank H Wilhelm
Institute for Psychology, University of Basel, 4055 Basel, Switzerland
Biomed Sci Instrum 40:317-24. 2004..Results provide some support for the utility of this adjustment method for improving the estimation of cardiac vagal tone from RSA, but also indicate that the paced breathing procedure may need to be further refined...
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction and health benefits. A meta-analysisPaul Grossman
Freiburg Institute for Mindfulness Research, Konradstr 32, 79100 Freiburg, Germany
J Psychosom Res 57:35-43. 2004..We performed a comprehensive review and meta-analysis of published and unpublished studies of health-related studies related to MBSR...
- Effects of lifestyle modification on the progression of coronary atherosclerosis, autonomic function, and angina--the role of GNB3 C825T polymorphismAndreas Michalsen
Abteilung Innere Medizin V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Am Heart J 151:870-7. 2006....
- Acupuncture in migraine: investigation of autonomic effectsMarcus Backer
Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine V, University of Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Clin J Pain 24:106-15. 2008..As acupuncture has been shown to exhibit considerable autonomic effects, we tested whether the clinical effects of acupuncture in migraine prophylaxis are mediated by changes of the autonomic regulation...
- Autonomic and respiratory characteristics of posttraumatic stress disorder and panic disorderJens Blechert
Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, University of Basel, Missionsstrasse 60 62, CH 4055 Basel, Switzerland
Psychosom Med 69:935-43. 2007..In contrast, PD has been associated with respiratory abnormalities such as low end-tidal Pco(2). An integrated analysis of automatic and respiratory function in a direct comparison of these anxiety disorders is currently lacking...
- Psychophysiological ambulatory assessment of affective dysregulation in borderline personality disorderUlrich W Ebner-Priemer
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, Central Institute of Mental Health, Postfach 122120, 68072 Mannheim, Germany
Psychiatry Res 150:265-75. 2007..M., 1993. Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. The Guildford Press, New York.] and suggest the potential utility for evaluating treatment outcome...
- Rapid stress reduction and anxiolysis among distressed women as a consequence of a three-month intensive yoga programAndreas Michalsen
Department of Integrative and Internal Medicine V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Chair of Complementary Medicine at the University Duisburg Essen, Germany
Med Sci Monit 11:CR555-561. 2005..We aimed to evaluate potential effects of Iyengar Hatha yoga on perceived stress and associated psychological outcomes in mentally distressed women...
- Mental stress response, arterial stiffness, and baroreflex sensitivity in healthy agingRuth D Lipman
Laboratory for Cardiovascular Research, Hebrew Rehabilitation Center for Aged, Boston, Massachusetts 02131, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 57:B279-84. 2002..These observations may provide a mechanistic link between the physiology of cardiovascular reactivity to stress and risk of cardiovascular events in middle-aged and older individuals...