Affiliation: University of Geneva
- Matrix metalloproteinases and diseases of the central nervous system with a special emphasis on ischemic brainYvan Gasche
Department of Fundamental Neuroscience, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva Medical School, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Front Biosci 11:1289-301. 2006..Yet MMPs may have a detrimental or beneficial role depending on the stage of brain injury. Simple therapeutic strategies based on MMP inhibition have thus little chance to favorably alter prognosis...
- Codeine intoxication associated with ultrarapid CYP2D6 metabolismYvan Gasche
Divisions of Surgical and Medical Intensive Care, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 351:2827-31. 2004..We attribute the toxicity to this genotype, in combination with inhibition of CYP3A4 activity by other medications and a transient reduction in renal function...
- [Blood-brain barrier pathophysiology and ischaemic brain oedema]Y Gasche
Division des soins intensifs de chirurgie, Departement de Pharmacologie, d anesthésiologie et des soins intensifs de chirurgie, Geneve, Suisse
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 22:312-9. 2003....
- Differential reactivity of brain microvascular endothelial cells to TNF reflects the genetic susceptibility to cerebral malariaJ Lou
Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Surgical Intensive Care, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Immunol 28:3989-4000. 1998..These results indicate that brain MVEC purified from CM-S and CM-R mice exhibit distinctive sensitivity to TNF This difference may be partly due to a differential regulation of TNF receptors and via distinct protein kinase pathways...
- [Morphology and physiology of the blood-brain barrier]J C Copin
Divisions des soins intensifs de chirurgie et de médecine, division d investigations anesthésiologiques, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, 1211 Geneve, Suisse
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 22:202-14. 2003....
- Two structurally different T-type Ca 2+ channel inhibitors, mibefradil and pimozide, protect CA1 neurons from delayed death after global ischemia in ratsM Bancila
Service de Neurochirurgie, Departement des neurosciences cliniques, Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève et Universitè de Genève, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 25:469-78. 2011..This study provides further support for a neuroprotective effect of T-type Ca(2+) current inhibition during ischemia...
- Serum profiles of interleukin-6, interleukin-8, and interleukin-10 in patients with severe and mild acute pancreatitisT Berney
Clinic of Digestive Surgery, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland
Pancreas 18:371-7. 1999..These findings provide new evidence on the role of mediators of the inflammatory/antiinflammatory balance in acute pancreatitis. These molecules appear to be valuable early markers of severity...
- Delayed matrix metalloproteinase inhibition reduces intracerebral hemorrhage after embolic stroke in ratsJean Christophe Copin
Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Intensive Care, Geneva University Hospitals and University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Exp Neurol 213:196-201. 2008..060 to 0.989). Our results confirm the involvement of MMPs in HT and support the possibility of extending the therapeutic window for thrombolysis in stroke by administering a broad-spectrum MMP inhibitor after the onset of ischemia...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9 deficiency has no effect on glial scar formation after transient focal cerebral ischemia in mouseJean Christophe Copin
Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Intensive Care, Geneva University Hospitals and Medical Center, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Brain Res 1150:167-73. 2007..These results suggest that a specific targeting of MMP-9, as a mean to prevent ischemia-induced blood-brain barrier disruption, would have no significant effects on the recruitment of cells involved in glial scar formation...
- Carbohydrate source influences gelatinase production by mouse astrocytes in vitroJustin L Massengale
Department of Neurosurgery, Program in Neurosciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305 5487, USA
Glia 38:240-5. 2002..These findings suggest that MMP-9 production may be increased in astrocytes as a consequence of glucose metabolism, which can be avoided by growth in sorbitol alone...
- Role of matrix metalloproteinases in apoptosis after transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats and miceJean Christophe Copin
Department of Neuroscience, University Medical Center, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Neurosci 22:1597-608. 2005..05) and contributed even further to the protection of the ischemic brain. Together, our pharmacological and genetic results indicate that MMPs other than MMP-9 are actively involved in cerebral ischemia-induced apoptosis...
- Overexpression of copper/zinc superoxide dismutase in transgenic rats protects vulnerable neurons against ischemic damage by blocking the mitochondrial pathway of caspase activationTaku Sugawara
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5487, USA
J Neurosci 22:209-17. 2002..Oxygen free radicals may play a pivotal role in the mitochondrial signaling pathway of apoptotic cell death in hippocampal CA1 neurons after global ischemia...
- Effects of global ischemia duration on neuronal, astroglial, oligodendroglial, and microglial reactions in the vulnerable hippocampal CA1 subregion in ratsTaku Sugawara
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, California, USA
J Neurotrauma 19:85-98. 2002..These data suggest that some morphological changes in glial cells were not dependent on neuronal cell death, but their own reactions to the different severity of ischemia...
- Neurodegeneration in striatum induced by the mitochondrial toxin 3-nitropropionic acid: role of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in early blood-brain barrier disruption?Gyung W Kim
Department of Neurosurgery, Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, and Program in Neurosciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5487, USA
J Neurosci 23:8733-42. 2003..65 +/- 17; p < or = 0.05). We conclude that early expression and activation of MMP-9 by ROS may be involved in early BBB disruption and progressive striatal damage after 3-NP treatment...
- Matrix metalloproteinase inhibition decreases ischemia-reperfusion injury after lung transplantationPaola M Soccal
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA
Am J Transplant 4:41-50. 2004..We conclude that inhibition of MMP attenuates IR injury after experimental lung transplantation...
- Persisting vasculitis after pneumococcal meningitisDeborah Pugin
Department of Clinical Neuroscience and Dermatology, Geneva University Hospital, and Geneva Medical School, CH 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Neurocrit Care 4:237-40. 2006..Parainfectious vasculitis leading to ischemic brain damage is a known complication of bacterial meningitis but its treatment is uncertain...