Affiliation: University of Geneva
- [Frequently asked questions on clopidogrel treatment: indications, resistance, and biological evaluation in vascular patients]Pierre Fontana
Service d angiologie et d hémostase, Departement de Medecine Interne, HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 4:360-3. 2008....
- [Update on antithrombotic treatments in arterial diseases]P Fontana
Service d angiologie et d hémostase, Departement de Medecine Interne, Faculté de médecine et HUG, Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 3:351-2, 354-6. 2007..This review focuses on the indications of the currently available antithrombotic agents in arterial diseases of atherothrombotic origin...
- Biological effect of increased maintenance dose of clopidogrel in cardiovascular outpatients and influence of the cytochrome P450 2C19*2 allele on clopidogrel responsivenessPierre Fontana
Division of Angiology and Haemostasis, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Thromb Res 121:463-8. 2008..The second aim is to test the influence of the CYP 2C19*2 allele on clopidogrel responsiveness...
- Assessing aspirin responsiveness using the Verify Now Aspirin assayP Fontana
Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Thromb Res 121:581-2. 2008
- New antiplatelet strategies in atherothrombosis and their indicationsP Fontana
Division of Angiology and Haemostasis, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 34:10-7. 2007..New antiplatelet strategies are in the pipeline, and clinically relevant laboratory tests of APA response may soon help to tailor treatment...
- Biological effects of aspirin and clopidogrel in a randomized cross-over study in 96 healthy volunteersP Fontana
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Thromb Haemost 4:813-9. 2006..Some data suggest that biological 'resistance' to aspirin or clopidogrel may influence clinical outcome...
- [Haemostasis. Aspirin and clopidogrel platelet resistances]P Fontana
Service d angiologie et d hémostase, Departement de Medecine Interne, Faculté de médecine et HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 2:25-9. 2006..New compounds with a more potent effect are emerging and might be useful in clinically relevant resistances...
- [Pharmacogenetics and antiplatelet drugs]P Fontana
Service d angiologie et d hémostase, Departement de Medecine Interne, Faculte de Medecine, Hopital Cantonal Universitaire, 24, Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneve 14, Suisse
Rev Med Interne 26:725-32. 2005..The observation of inherited drug response variability gave rise to the field of pharmacogenetics. Pharmacogenetic research on drug targets, particularly platelet enzymes and receptors, is more recent and is becoming an emerging field...
- Poor responsiveness to antiplatelet drugs in acute coronary syndromes: clinical relevance and managementJean Luc Reny
General Internal Medicine Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Cardiovasc Ther 30:e41-50. 2012..New and more potent antiplatelet drugs may overcome the clinical consequences of the poor response to antiplatelet agents...
- Antiplatelet drug response status does not predict recurrent ischemic events in stable cardiovascular patients: results of the Antiplatelet Drug Resistances and Ischemic Events studyJean Luc Reny
Division of General Internal Medicine, University Hospitals of Geneva, 4, rue Gabrielle Perret Gentil, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Circulation 125:3201-10. 2012....
- [Aspirin: once or twice a day?]Pierre Fontana
Service d angiologie et d hémostase, HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 10:53-6. 2014..This review addresses the issue of aspirin dosing in selected patients in the controversial era of personalized antiplatelet therapy...
- Platelet proteomicsAnne Zufferey
Division of Angiology and Haemostasis, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Mass Spectrom Rev 31:331-51. 2012....
- Platelet reactivity is a stable and global phenomenon in aspirin-treated cardiovascular patientsAnne Zufferey
Division of Angiology and Haemostasis, Geneva University Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, Switzerland
Thromb Haemost 106:466-74. 2011..This index is not dependent on clinical or biological variables, suggesting that genetic factors regulate platelet reactivity in these patients...
- Characterization of the platelet granule proteome: evidence of the presence of MHC1 in alpha-granulesAnne Zufferey
Division of Angiology and Haemostasis, Department of Medical Specialisations, Faculty of Medicine and University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland Biomedical Proteomics Research Group, Department of Human Protein Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland Geneva Platelet Group, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Proteomics 101:130-40. 2014..Key proteins of the MHC1 antigen-presenting pathway are located in platelet alpha-granules. These results suggest a possible functional role of platelet granules in platelet-related immune modulation...
- [Antiplatelet agents and older patients: which drugs and what evidence?]Jean Luc Reny
Departement de Medecine Interne, de réhabilitation et de gériatrie, HUG, hôpital des Trois Chêne, Thonex Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 9:2034-8. 2013..In elderly patients with atrial fibrillation and ischemic heart disease more than one year after coronary stenting, a vitamin K antagonist alone is usually sufficient...
- [Evaluating the biological efficacy of clopidogrel: genotype or phenotype?]Pierre Fontana
Service d angiologie et d hémostase, HUG, Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 6:302-5. 2010..The VASP assay and the 2C19 genotyping are candidates for the identification of patients at risk; this is the focus of the present review...
- Not all statins interfere with clopidogrel during antiplatelet therapyF Mach
University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Invest 35:476-81. 2005..The objective of the present study was to define which statin might interfere with the antiaggregation property of clopidogrel...
- [Diagnosis and management of mild bleeding disorders]P Fontana
Service d angiologie et d hémostase, Departement de Medecine Interne, HUG, 1211 Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 4:122-6. 2008..Several pharmacological agents are available; however, before prophylactic administration of such drugs, a trade-off between their thrombotic risks and excessive bleeding should be made...
- Impact of non-inhibited platelet supplementation on platelet reactivity in patients treated with prasugrel or ticagrelor for an acute coronary syndrome: An ex vivo studyFanny Bonhomme
Division of Anesthesiology, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Platelets 26:324-30. 2015..These results suggest that platelet transfusion may be more effective in blunting bleeding in patients treated with prasugrel, than those treated with ticagrelor. ..
- Fibrinogen geneva II: a new congenitally abnormal fibrinogen alpha chain (Gly17Asp) with a review of similar mutations resulting in abnormal knob AAlessandro Casini
aDivision of Angiology and Haemostasis, University Hospitals and Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland bDepartment of Biology and Haematology, CHU Dijon, Dijon, France cDivision of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals and Faculty of Medicine dDepartment of Genetic Medicine and Development, University of Geneva, Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 25:280-2. 2014....
- [Invasive procedures and long-term anti-coagulation: to bridge or not to bridge?]Garance Kopp
Departement de Medecine Interne, de réhabilitation et de gériatrie, HUG, Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 9:1875-8, 1880. 2013..Bridging should be considered only if the thromboembolic risk is high such as recent VTD (< 3 months), AF with past history of stroke or transient ischemic attack, and cardiac mechanical valve...
- [Monitoring of heparins and of anticoagulants]Yan Beauverd
Service de médecine interne générale, Departement de Medecine Interne, de réhabilitation et gériatrie, HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 7:2014-7. 2011..Unfractionated heparin requires close monitoring by aPTT and/or anti-FXa activity while LMWH and fondaparinux do not require biological surveillance except in a few specific situations...
- [Update on new antithrombotic treatments]F Boehlen
Unité D Hémostase Service, d angiologie et d hémostase, Département de médicine interne, HUG, Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 6:109-12. 2010..Studies have shown an increased bleeding risk for some of them as well as unexpected side effects. In the next future, these new molecules could allow a more individualised prescription of antithrombotic agents...
- Lack of Effect of Platelet Transfusions and Desmopressin on Intracranial Bleeding in a Patient Receiving TicagrelorJulien Maillard
From the Division of Anaesthesiology, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland and Division of Angiology and Haemostasis, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva Platelet Group, Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
A A Case Rep 4:169-71. 2015..Biological evaluation of platelet function was consistent with the clinical impression, suggesting that platelet transfusion and desmopressin administration in the presence of ticagrelor had very little, if any, hemostatic effect. ..
- Antiplatelet drugs and platelet reactivity: is it time to halt clinical research on tailored strategies?Jean Luc Reny
University of Geneva, Geneva Platelet Group, Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
Expert Opin Pharmacother 16:449-52. 2015..On the contrary, integration of the clinical setting as well as other risk factors may help to identify subgroups of patients who could derive a benefit from a truly personalized management of antiplatelet therapy. ..
- Direct oral anticoagulants in the treatment and long-term prevention of venous thrombo-embolismPierre Fontana
Division of Angiology and Haemostasis, Department of Medical Specialties, Faculty of Medicine and University Hospitals of Geneva, 4, rue Gabrielle Perret Gentil, 1205 Geneva, Switzerland
Eur Heart J 35:1836-43. 2014..Nevertheless, it remains uncertain how to select specific DOACs for particular profiles of patients, and the optimal management of bleeding complications is evolving. ..
- How to manage prasugrel and ticagrelor in daily practiceFanny Bonhomme
Geneva Platelet Group, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland Division of Anaesthesiology, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland Electronic address
Eur J Intern Med 25:213-20. 2014..Strategies are proposed for safely reducing the bleeding risk in elderly patients, in patients requiring concomitant oral anticoagulant therapy, or in patients with an increased haemorrhagic risk. ..
- Clinical implications of clopidogrel non-response in cardiovascular patients: a systematic review and meta-analysisC Combescure
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
J Thromb Haemost 8:923-33. 2010..BSUMMARY BACKGROUND: Previous studies have shown an important risk of cardiovascular events in patients with clopidogrel biological non-response, and data have shown considerable, unexplored heterogeneity...
- [A reference to know: the 2008 Chest Supplement on antithrombotic agents]Philippe de Moerloose
Unite d hémostase, Departement de Medecine Interne, Faculté de médecine de Genève HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 5:110-3. 2009..We review some recommendations about the appropriate use of anticoagulants to prevent and treat venous thromboembolic diseases as well as the use of antiplatelet agents in case of arterial diseases...
- Aspirin response variability assessed with the PFA-100 deviceJean Luc Reny
Thromb Haemost 99:968-9; author reply 969. 2008
- Adenosine diphosphate-induced platelet aggregation is associated with P2Y12 gene sequence variations in healthy subjectsPierre Fontana
Service d Hématologie Biologique A, Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou and Inserm Unité 428, Faculte des Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Biologiques, Universite Paris V, Paris, France
Circulation 108:989-95. 2003..Some studies have shown interindividual differences in ADP-induced platelet aggregation responses ex vivo, but the mechanisms underlying this variability are unknown...
- An intronic polymorphism in the PAR-1 gene is associated with platelet receptor density and the response to SFLLRNAnnabelle Dupont
Service d Hématologie Biologique and INSERM Unité 428, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Faculte des Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Biologiques, Universite Paris V, Paris, France
Blood 101:1833-40. 2003..The IVSn-14 A/T intronic variation may therefore be clinically relevant...
- Common sequence variations in the P2Y12 and CYP3A5 genes do not explain the variability in the inhibitory effects of clopidogrel therapySimon M G Smith
Cardiovascular Research Unit, University of Sheffield, Division of Clinical Sciences North, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Platelets 17:250-8. 2006..In conclusion, common sequence variations within the P2Y12 and CYP3A5 genes do not contribute any major effect to the inter-patient variability in clopidogrel efficacy...
- Identification of functional polymorphisms of the thromboxane A2 receptor gene in healthy volunteersPierre Fontana
INSERM Unité 765, Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou AP HP, Paris, France
Thromb Haemost 96:356-60. 2006..As C795T and C924T have been linked to clinical disorders in which TxA2 plays a key role, the possible role of the G1686A and T1712C SNP should also be examined in selected diseases...
- Laboratory-defined aspirin resistance and recurrent cardiovascular eventsPierre Fontana
Arch Intern Med 168:549-50. 2008
- Physiological plasma Gas6 levels do not influence platelet aggregationSylvain Clauser
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:e22. 2006
- [Study of primary hemostasis in vitro with the Platelet Function Analyzer (PFA-100)]Guido Reber
Division d Angiologie et Hémostase, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve
Rev Med Suisse Romande 123:491-4. 2003..This device appears an useful complement to aggregometry...
- Skin necrosis is a clinical manifestation of low-molecular weight heparin-induced thrombocytopeniaPierre Fontana
Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, Geneva University Hospital, 24, Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Thromb Haemost 91:196-7. 2004
- P2Y12 H2 haplotype is associated with peripheral arterial disease: a case-control studyPierre Fontana
INSERM U 428, Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou et Université Paris V, Paris, France
Circulation 108:2971-3. 2003..Because platelets play a key role in atherosclerosis and arterial thrombosis, we tested the possible link between the H2 haplotype and the risk of peripheral arterial disease (PAD) in a case-control study...
- The thrombomodulin-1208/-1209delTT gene promoter polymorphism does not affect basal or LPS-dependent monocyte TM mRNA transcription in healthy volunteersJean Luc Reny
Thromb Haemost 94:686-7. 2005