H C Bucher
Affiliation: University Hospital
- Learning from failure--rationale and design for a study about discontinuation of randomized trials (DISCO study)Benjamin Kasenda
Basel Institute for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
BMC Med Res Methodol 12:131. 2012..Currently, little is known regarding the frequency and characteristics of discontinued RCTs...
- Prohormones for prediction of adverse medical outcome in community-acquired pneumonia and lower respiratory tract infectionsPhilipp Schuetz
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Crit Care 14:R106. 2010..Measurement of prohormones representing different pathophysiological pathways could enhance risk stratification in patients with community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) and other lower respiratory tract infections (LRTI)...
- Procalcitonin guided antibiotic therapy and hospitalization in patients with lower respiratory tract infections: a prospective, multicenter, randomized controlled trialPhilipp Schuetz
Department of Internal Medicine, Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, Basel, Switzerland
BMC Health Serv Res 7:102. 2007....
- [Benefit and pitfalls in the use of data from surrogate endpoint trials for clinical decision making]Heiner C Bucher
Basel Institute for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Universitatsspital Basel
Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes 104:230-7; discussion 237-8. 2010....
- [Surrogate endpoint trials: benefit and pitfalls for clinical decision making]H C Bucher
Basel Institute for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Universitatsspital Basel, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Internist (Berl) 49:681-7. 2008....
- CD4+ T cell count recovery in HIV type 1-infected patients is independent of class of antiretroviral therapyNina Khanna
Division of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 47:1093-101. 2008....
- Public-health and individual approaches to antiretroviral therapy: township South Africa and Switzerland comparedOlivia Keiser
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine ISPM, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
PLoS Med 5:e148. 2008..We compared virologic response, changes to first-line regimens, and mortality in HIV-infected patients starting HAART in South Africa and Switzerland...
- Durability and outcome of initial antiretroviral treatments received during 2000--2005 by patients in the Swiss HIV Cohort StudyThi Tuyet Nhung Vo
VCHAP Project, Tropical Disease Hospital, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
J Infect Dis 197:1685-94. 2008..Little is known about time trends, predictors, and consequences of changes made to antiretroviral therapy (ART) regimens early after patients initially start treatment...
- Respiratory symptoms, atopy and bronchial hyperreactivity in professional firefightersD Miedinger
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Eur Respir J 30:538-44. 2007..It remains unclear whether these findings were present at recruitment or developed after joining the workforce...
- HAART and the heart: changes in coronary risk factors and implications for coronary risk in men starting antiretroviral therapyJ A C Sterne
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
J Intern Med 261:255-67. 2007..To estimate changes in coronary risk factors and their implications for coronary heart disease (CHD) rates in men starting highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Prevalence of risk factors for cardiovascular disease in HIV-infected patients over time: the Swiss HIV Cohort StudyT R Glass
Basel Institute for Clinical Epidemiology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
HIV Med 7:404-10. 2006..We evaluated changes in the prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors (CVRFs) and 10-year risk of CHD in a large cohort of HIV-infected individuals...
- Response to first protease inhibitor- and efavirenz-containing antiretroviral combination therapy. The Swiss HIV Cohort StudyA C Friedl
Division of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
AIDS 15:1793-800. 2001..The relevance of these observations remains to be determined in studies with longer follow-up...
- Ritonavir plus saquinavir versus single protease inhibitor therapy in protease inhibitor-naive HIV-infected patients: the Swiss HIV Cohort StudyH C Bucher
Basel Center for HIV Research, Internal Medicine Outpatient Clinic University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
HIV Med 3:247-53. 2002..To compare the response to ritonavir (RTV) plus saquinavir (SQV) with single protease inhibitor (PI) therapies among PI-naive HIV-1 infected individuals...
- Demographics and prevalent risk factors of chronic subdural haematoma: results of a large single-center cohort studyH Baechli
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Basle, Spitalstrasse 21, Basel, Switzerland
Neurosurg Rev 27:263-6. 2004..The indication for these medications, especially in elderly patients at risk for falls, should be carefully evaluated and controlled...
- [Evidence-based medicine and patient-doctor relationships]H C Bucher
Klinische Epidemiologie, Universitatsspital Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:1521-3. 2005
- Adjunctive corticosteroids for Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia in patients with HIV-infectionM Briel
University Hospital Basel, Basel Institute for Clinical Epidemiology, Internal Medicine, Hebelstrasse 10, Basel, Switzerland 4031
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD006150. 2006..It was suggested that in these patients corticosteroids adjunctive to standard treatment for PCP could prevent the need for mechanical ventilation and decrease mortality...
- [Evidence-based clinical decision making]H C Bucher
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:541. 2005
- HLA-Bw4 homozygosity is associated with an impaired CD4 T cell recovery after initiation of antiretroviral therapyAndri Rauch
Division of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Bern and University of Bern, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 46:1921-5. 2008..01, compared with HLA-Bw4 homozygotes). HLA-Bw4 homozygosity appears to predict an impaired CD4 T cell recovery after initiation of combination antiretroviral therapy...
- [Hospitalizations in a cohort of 175 severely drug-addicted patients of a medically managed opiate withdrawal project]M Hoffmann
Praxis (Bern 1994) 90:2094-101. 2001..However, as shown in earlier studies, the incidence of HIV drastically dropped. Hence, it may be that a longer follow-up may prove beneficial regarding the incidence of hospitalisations...
- Onset and pattern of substance use in intravenous drug users of an opiate maintenance programC Zinkernagel
Outpatient Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, CH-4031 Basel, Switzerland
Drug Alcohol Depend 64:105-9. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Specific knowledge about the age of onset and sequence of substances used by drug addicts may help to prevent substance use more age specifically...