Affiliation: University of Zurich
- Braun U, ZÃ¼rcher S, HÃ¤ssig M. Evaluation of eating and rumination behaviour in 300 cows of three different breeds using a noseband pressure sensor. BMC Vet Res. 2015;11:231 pubmed publisher..53). The eating and rumination variables established in the present study reflect the current conditions of Swiss dairy farming and serve as reference intervals for assessing sick cows. ..
- Braun U, Bachofen C, Büchi R, Hassig M, Peterhans E. Infection of cattle with Border disease virus by sheep on communal alpine pastures. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2013;155:123-8 pubmed publisher..BVDV infection was confirmed in 4 cattle and considered likely in 3 after pasturing. The study has shown that the transmission of BDV from sheep to cattle is possible on communal alpine pastures. ..
- Braun U, Hoegger R, Haessig M. Colour-Doppler sonography of the musculophrenic vein in cows. Vet J. 2009;179:451-4 pubmed publisher..4 (22.3) cm/s and the minimum blood flow velocity 41.4 (24.2) cm/s. There were significant correlations (r=0.45-0.90) between blood flow velocity before and after sedation and between minimum, maximum and mean blood flow velocities. ..
- Braun U. Ultrasonography of the liver in cattle. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2009;25:591-609, Table of Contents pubmed publisher..0 MHz linear or convex transducer. This imaging modality also can be used to aspirate bile from the gallbladder for the diagnosis of liver flukes. Ultrasonography cannot be used to evaluate liver regions obscured by the lungs, however. ..
- Braun U, Warislohner S, Torgerson P, Nuss K, Gerspach C. Clinical and laboratory findings in 503 cattle with traumatic reticuloperitonitis. BMC Vet Res. 2018;14:66 pubmed publisher..In many cases, a diagnosis of TRP is not possible based on individual clinical or laboratory findings because even the most common abnormalities are not seen in all cattle with TRP. ..
- Braun U, Hilbe M, Janett F, HÃ¤ssig M, Zanoni R, Frei S, et al. Transmission of border disease virus from a persistently infected calf to seronegative heifers in early pregnancy. BMC Vet Res. 2015;11:43 pubmed publisher..This strongly suggests that BDV should be taken into account in BVD eradication and control programs. ..
- Braun U, Gerspach C, Warislohner S, Nuss K, Ohlerth S. Ultrasonographic and radiographic findings in 503 cattle with traumatic reticuloperitonitis. Res Vet Sci. 2018;119:154-161 pubmed publisher..Ultrasonography provides information about the scale and localisation of inflammatory changes of the peritoneum, and radiography allows the visualisation of ferromagnetic foreign bodies and magnets. ..
- Braun U. Ascites in Cattle: Ultrasonographic Findings and Diagnosis. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2016;32:55-83 pubmed publisher..Abdominocentesis and analysis of the aspirated fluid allow differentiation of inflammatory and noninflammatory ascites as well as the diagnosis of uroperitoneum, hemoperitoneum, chylous ascites, and bile peritonitis. ..
- Braun U, Attiger J. Ultrasonographic Examination of the Spinal Cord and Collection of Cerebrospinal Fluid from the Atlanto-Occipital Space in Cattle. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2016;32:109-18 pubmed publisher..This technique is less stressful than the blind puncture technique because it does not require strong ventroflexion of the head. Furthermore, painful puncture of the spinal cord can largely be avoided when ultrasound guidance is used. ..
- Braun U, Jacquat D. Ultrasonography of the omasum in 30 Saanen goats. BMC Vet Res. 2011;7:11 pubmed publisher..Ultrasonography is an ideal diagnostic tool for evaluation of the omasum, which is not accessible to conventional examination techniques, such as inspection, palpation, percussion and auscultation. ..
- Braun U, Warislohner S, Hetzel U, Nuss K. Case report: clinical and postmortem findings in four cows with rib fracture. BMC Res Notes. 2017;10:85 pubmed publisher..Although rib fractures undoubtedly are very painful, the four cases described in this report suggest that they are difficult to diagnose in cattle because associated clinical signs are nonspecific. ..
- Braun U, Jacquat D, Steininger K. Ultrasonographic examination of the abdomen of the goat. I. Reticulum, rumen, omasum, abomasum and intestines. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2013;155:173-84 pubmed publisher..The wall appears as a thick echoic and slightly undulating line 5.6 to 8.0?cm in length. Ultrasonography is an imaging technique that is very well suited for the examination of the gastrointestinal tract of goats...
- Braun U, Previtali M, Furst A, Wehrli M, Muggli E. [Cystoscopy in a heifer with rupture of a patent urachus]. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2009;151:539-43 pubmed publisher..The urachus was ligated twice via a left-flank laparotomy. The general condition normalised within a few days of surgery, and the patient calved normally and was in good health at follow-up evaluation...
- Braun U, Michel N, Baumgartner M, HÃ¤ssig M, Binz T. Cortisol concentration of regrown hair and hair from a previously unshorn area in dairy cows. Res Vet Sci. 2017;114:412-415 pubmed publisher..66Â±0.32pg/mg). The findings show that the effect of short-term stressors such as parturition on hair cortisol concentrations are more easily detected in hair that has grown for one month than in hair from a previously unshorn area. ..
- Braun U. Ultrasonographic Examination of the Reticulum, Rumen, Omasum, Abomasum, and Liver in Calves. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2016;32:85-107 pubmed publisher..The ultrasonographic findings of the forestomachs and abomasum of calves with ruminal drinker syndrome are discussed. The article concludes with the description of the ultrasonographic examination of the liver. ..
- Braun U, Malbon A, Kochan M, Riond B, Janett F, Iten C, et al. Computed tomographic findings and treatment of a bull with pituitary gland abscess. Acta Vet Scand. 2017;59:8 pubmed publisher..Treatment of the brain abscess resulted, with respect to the central nervous disorder, in a successful outcome and was encouraging considering that most cases have an unfavourable prognosis. ..
- Braun U, Schnetzler C, Dettwiler M, Sydler T, Meyer S, Gerspach C. Ultrasonographic findings in a cow with abomasal lymphosarcoma: case report. BMC Vet Res. 2011;7:20 pubmed publisher..Based on all the findings, pyloric stenosis caused by lymphosarcoma was tentatively diagnosed and later confirmed at postmortem examination. This is an interesting case, which broadens the spectrum of abomasal reflux syndrome. ..
- Braun U, Rauch S, Hassig M. Ultrasonographic evaluation of reticular motility in 144 cattle with vagal indigestion. Vet Rec. 2009;164:11-3 pubmed..6 [2.16]). The position, contour and size of the reticulum, the amplitude and speed of the contractions and the area surrounding the reticulum did not differ significantly between the two groups...
- Braun U, Blatter M, Büchi R, Hassig M. Treatment of cows with milk fever using intravenous and oral calcium and phosphorus. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2012;154:381-8 pubmed publisher..This modified therapy did not improve the success rate of milk fever treatment and further studies are needed to improve treatment of periparturient paresis...
- Braun U, Gautschi A. Ultrasonographic examination of the forestomachs and the abomasum in ruminal drinker calves. Acta Vet Scand. 2013;55:1 pubmed publisher..This study showed that ultrasonography is useful for detecting milk in the reticulum and rumen of calves with ruminal drinking syndrome. ..
- Braun U, Gerspach C, Kühn K, Bünter J, Hilbe M. Abscess of the cervical spine secondary to injection site infection in a heifer. Acta Vet Scand. 2017;59:10 pubmed publisher..Injection technique is critical for the prevention of problems such as those described in this report. Sterile hypodermic needles must be used, and the volume of drug per injection site limited to 10-15 ml in young cattle. ..
- Braun U, Zulliger P, Liesegang A, Bleul U, Hassig M. Effect of intravenous calcium borogluconate and sodium phosphate in cows with parturient paresis. Vet Rec. 2009;164:296-9 pubmed..There were no significant differences between the three groups with respect to changes after treatment in the serum concentrations of magnesium or parathyroid hormone...
- Braun U. Ultrasonography of the gastrointestinal tract in cattle. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2009;25:567-90, Table of Contents pubmed publisher..The normal findings are presented followed by a description of the most important diseases of these organs. ..
- Nuss K, Malbon A, Braun U, Ringer S, Muggli E, Kircher P, et al. Osteomyelitis of the hyoid bones in two calves. Acta Vet Scand. 2015;57:52 pubmed publisher..Stomatitis or laryngeal and pharyngeal abscessation caused by sharp feed particles are common in cattle and infection of the hyoid apparatus should be included in the differential diagnosis. ..
- Braun U, Nuss K. Uroperitoneum in cattle: Ultrasonographic findings, diagnosis and treatment. Acta Vet Scand. 2015;57:36 pubmed publisher..Abdominocentesis yields light yellow fluid. A peritoneal-to-serum creatinine concentration ratio of 2 or greater is diagnostic of uroperitoneum. Treatment consists of surgical repair of the defect. ..
- Braun U, Milicevic A, Forster E, Irmer M, Reichle S, Previtali M, et al. An unusual cause of traumatic reticulitis/reticuloperitonitis in a herd of Swiss dairy cows nearby an airport. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2009;151:127-31 pubmed publisher..The wire-bristles of the snow plow were replaced with plastic bristles. The cost of this and the livestock loss was several hundred thousand Swiss Francs...
- Braun U, Brammertz C, Maischberger E, Bass D, Klausmann S, Sydler T. T-cell lymphoma in the nasal cavity of a Brown Swiss heifer. Acta Vet Scand. 2015;57:8 pubmed publisher..This report on T-cell lymphoma in the nasal cavity of a cow suggests that nasal lymphoma should be included in the list of differential diagnosis of conditions associated with dyspnoea and stertorous breathing in cattle. ..
- Braun U, Dumelin J, Siegwart N, Bleul U, Hassig M. Effect of intravenous calcium and oral sodium phosphate in cows with parturient paresis. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2007;149:259-64 pubmed
- Braun U, Schwarzwald C, Ohlerth S, Frei S, Hilbe M. Abnormal regurgitation in three cows caused by intrathoracic perioesophageal lesions. Acta Vet Scand. 2014;56:14 pubmed publisher..Abnormal regurgitation in cattle is usually the result of an oesophageal disorder. Causes of oesophageal disorders vary widely and their identification can be difficult. ..
- Braun U, Forster E. B-mode and colour Doppler sonographic examination of the milk vein and musculophrenic vein in dry cows and cows with a milk yield of 10 and 20 kg. Acta Vet Scand. 2012;54:15 pubmed publisher..This must be taken into consideration in future Doppler sonographic studies of these veins and possibly other vessels. Furthermore, measurements on one side are representative of both sides. ..
- Braun U, Trösch L, Sydler T. Ruptured urinary bladder attributable to urethral compression by a haematoma after vertebral fracture in a bull. Acta Vet Scand. 2014;56:17 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in addition to obstructive urolithiasis, compression and stricture of the urethra might be considered in male cattle with uroperitoneum. ..
- Braun U, Bryce B, Liesegang A, Hassig M, Bleul U. [Efficacy of oral calcium and/or sodium phosphate in the prevention of parturient paresis in cows]. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2008;150:331-8 pubmed..Further investigation into multiple administrations of oral calcium chloride and sodium phosphate, started before parturition, for the prevention of parturient paresis is required...
- Braun U, Gerspach C, Stettler M, Grob D, Sydler T. Rumen perforation caused by horn injury in two cows. Acta Vet Scand. 2016;58:5 pubmed publisher..Horn injury should be included in the rule outs for cattle with left abdominal skin wounds and diffuse peritonitis. ..
- Braun U, Jacquat D. Ultrasonography of the reticulum in 30 healthy Saanen goats. Acta Vet Scand. 2011;53:19 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it was the goal of the present study, to describe the results of ultrasonography of the reticulum of 30 healthy Saanen goats...