Affiliation: Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- An experimental animal model of aseptic loosening of hip prostheses in sheep to study early biochemical changes at the interface membraneAlexander O El-Warrak
Musculoskeletal Research Unit, Dept of Veterinary Surgery, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstr, 260, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 5:7. 2004....
- Silk based biomaterials to heal critical sized femur defectsL Meinel
Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Chemical and Biological Engineering, Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Bone 39:922-31. 2006..Thus, these new constructs provide an alternative protein-based biomaterial for load bearing applications...
- Insulin-like growth factor I releasing silk fibroin scaffolds induce chondrogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cellsLorenz Uebersax
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, ETH Zurich, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
J Control Release 127:12-21. 2008..IGF-I loaded porous SF scaffolds have the potential to provide chondrogenic stimuli to hMSC. Evidence for in vivo cartilage (re)generation must be demonstrated by future, pre-clinical proof of concept studies...
- Optimization strategies for electrospun silk fibroin tissue engineering scaffoldsAnne J Meinel
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, ETH Zurich, Department for Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, HCI J 390 1, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Biomaterials 30:3058-67. 2009..Our studies demonstrate the versatility of SF as a biomaterial to engineer modified fibrous scaffolds and underscore the use of biofunctionally relevant analytical assays to optimize fibrous biomaterial scaffolds...
- Silk fibroin as an organic polymer for controlled drug deliveryS Hofmann
Drug Formulation and Delivery, ETH Zurich, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
J Control Release 111:219-27. 2006....
- Stabilizing insulin-like growth factor-I in poly(D,L-lactide-co-glycolide) microspheresL Meinel
Department of Applied BioSciences, Galenical Pharmacy, ETH Zurich, Winterthurer Strasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Control Release 70:193-202. 2001..In conclusion, the developed microspheres proved to be suitable to release biologically intact IGF-I over up to 13 days, a time-period considered to be relevant to promote bone fracture healing...
- Bioreactor cultivation of osteochondral graftsG Vunjak-Novakovic
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Orthod Craniofac Res 8:209-18. 2005..Taken together, these studies provide a basis for the ongoing work on engineering osreochondral grafts for a variety of potential applications, including those in the craniofacial complex...
- BMP-silk composite matrices heal critically sized femoral defectsC Kirker-Head
Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, North Grafton, MA, USA
Bone 41:247-55. 2007..These data imply the clinical potential of silk scaffolds and rhBMP-2 as composite osteopromotive implants when used alone or with select stem cell populations. Additional studies in larger species are now warranted...