Harald F Krug
Affiliation: Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research
- Nanosafety research--are we on the right track?Harald F Krug
International Reserach Cooperations Manager, Empa, Lerchenfeldstrasse 5, St Gallen, 9014 Switzerland
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 53:12304-19. 2014..Now, on the basis of a comprehensive review of the literature and with the help of selected toxicological end points, we attempt to indicate where the significant weaknesses of these studies lie and what we must improve in the future. ..
- Caspase-10 is the key initiator caspase involved in tributyltin-mediated apoptosis in human immune cellsHarald F Krug
Department Materials Meet Life, Empa Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, Lerchenfeldstrasse 5, 9014 St Gallen, Switzerland
J Toxicol 2012:395482. 2012..We could show that caspase-10 is recruited by the TRAIL-R2 receptor and apoptosis is totally prevented when caspase-10 is specifically inhibited in all three cell lines...
- Pulmonary surfactant coating of multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) influences their oxidative and pro-inflammatory potential in vitroMichael Gasser
Adolphe Merkle Institute, University of Fribourg, Marly, Switzerland
Part Fibre Toxicol 9:17. 2012..The effect of MWCNTs surface charge was also investigated in terms of amino (-NH2) and carboxyl (-COOH) surface modifications...
- Nanotoxicology: an interdisciplinary challengeHarald F Krug
EMPA Materials Science and Technology, Department Materials Meet Life, St Gallen, Switzerland
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 50:1260-78. 2011..In particular, inadequate methods will be described together with recommendations how to avoid this in the future, thereby contributing to a sustainable improvement of the available data...
- Comparability of in vitro tests for bioactive nanoparticles: a common assay to detect reactive oxygen species as an exampleMatthias Roesslein
Empa, Materials Biology Interactions Laboratory, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, Lerchenfeldstrasse 5, CH 9014 St Gallen, Switzerland
Int J Mol Sci 14:24320-37. 2013..However, a quantitative measurement of the absolute amount of ROS produced and a quantitative comparison between experiments is (at the moment) impossible. ..
- A comparison of acute and long-term effects of industrial multiwalled carbon nanotubes on human lung and immune cells in vitroTina Thurnherr
Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, Laboratory for Materials Biology Interactions, Lerchenfeldstrasse 5, 9014 St Gallen, Switzerland
Toxicol Lett 200:176-86. 2011..Our study demonstrates that despite the high potential for ROS formation, pristine MWCNTs can accumulate and persist within cells without having major long-term consequences or inducing adaptive mechanisms...
- In vitro mechanistic study towards a better understanding of ZnO nanoparticle toxicityTina Buerki-Thurnherr
Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Technology, Laboratory for Materials Biology Interactions, Lerchenfeldstrasse, St Gallen, Switzerland
Nanotoxicology 7:402-16. 2013..In addition, we identified novel coating strategies to reduce ZnO NP dissolution and subsequent adverse effects...
- Toward the development of decision supporting tools that can be used for safe production and use of nanomaterialsClaudia Som
Empa, Swiss Laboratory for Materials Science and Technology, Lerchenfeldstrasse 5, 9014 St Gallen, Switzerland
Acc Chem Res 46:863-72. 2013....
- Nanomaterial cell interactions: are current in vitro tests reliable?Cordula Hirsch
Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Research and Testing, Laboratory for Materials Biology Interactions, Lerchenfeldstrasse 5, St Gallen, Switzerland
Nanomedicine (Lond) 6:837-47. 2011..These recommendations consequently applied in the future will increase the safe and sustainable use of nanotechnology...
- The adsorption of biomolecules to multi-walled carbon nanotubes is influenced by both pulmonary surfactant lipids and surface chemistryMichael Gasser
Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, Laboratory for Materials Biology Interactions, St, Gallen, Switzerland
J Nanobiotechnology 8:31. 2010..abstract:..
- 120 years of nanosilver history: implications for policy makersBernd Nowack
Empa Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, Lerchenfeldstrasse 5, CH 9014 St Gallen, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 45:1177-83. 2011....
- Barrier capacity of human placenta for nanosized materialsPeter Wick
Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Material Testing and Research, Laboratory for Materials Biology Interactions, St Gallen, Switzerland
Environ Health Perspect 118:432-6. 2010..Previous work has not addressed the question of whether nanoparticles may cross the placenta...