Affiliation: Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- Challenges to the uptake of the ecosystem service rationale for conservationJaboury Ghazoul
Institute of Terrestrial Ecosystems, Department of Environmental Sciences, ETH Zurich, Universitaetstrasse 16, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Conserv Biol 21:1651-2. 2007
- Nonviable seed set enhances plant fitness: the sacrificial sibling hypothesisJaboury Ghazoul
Institute of Terrestrial Ecosystems, Department of Environmental Sciences, ETH Zurich, Universitatstrasse 16, Zurich 8092, Switzerland
Ecology 90:369-77. 2009..We suggest that selfed seeds retained and developed through the periods of seed predator attack are effectively offered and sacrificed for the benefit of outcrossed seeds...
- REDD: a reckoning of environment and development implicationsJaboury Ghazoul
Institute of Terrestrial Ecosystems, ETH Zurich, CHN G 73 1 Universitätstrasse 16, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Trends Ecol Evol 25:396-402. 2010..We argue for the need to recognize and appropriately compensate the full range of economic, social and political net costs of REDD...
- A matrix-calibrated species-area model for predicting biodiversity losses due to land-use changeLian Pin Koh
Institute of Terrestrial Ecosystems, ETH Zurich, CHN G 74 2, Universitatstrasse 16, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Conserv Biol 24:994-1001. 2010....
- Implementing landscape fragmentation as an indicator in the Swiss Monitoring System Of Sustainable Development (Monet)Jochen A G Jaeger
Ecosystem Management, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Environ Manage 88:737-51. 2008..For a more detailed analysis of landscape fragmentation in the context of environmental impact assessments and strategic environmental assessments, a combination of all four FGs may provide a more informative tool than any single FG...
- Ecological implications of a flower size/number trade-off in tropical forest treesChris J Kettle
Ecosystem Management, Institute of Terrestrial Ecosystems, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 6:e16111. 2011..Our findings also highlight the potential for differential vulnerability of tropical tree species to the deleterious consequences of forest fragmentation...
- Remotely sensed evidence of tropical peatland conversion to oil palmLian Pin Koh
Department of Environmental Sciences, Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule Zurich, CHN G 73 1, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:5127-32. 2011..9 million ha) of the remaining peatswamp forests in Southeast Asia...
- Designer landscapes for sustainable biofuelsLian Pin Koh
Institute of Terrestrial Ecosystems, ETH Zurich, Universitatstrasse 16, Zurich 8092, Switzerland
Trends Ecol Evol 24:431-8. 2009..Similar principles could apply to biofuel systems elsewhere...