Organization: Kantonsspital Luzern
- Repair of orbital floor fractures using bioresorbable poly-L/DL-lactide platesOlivier Lieger
Department of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Lucerne, 6000 Lucerne 16, Switzerland
Arch Facial Plast Surg 12:399-404. 2010....
- Leisure-time activities of patients with ICDs: findings of a survey with respect to sports activity, high altitude stays, and driving patternsRichard Kobza
Division of Cardiology, Cantonal Hospital, Luzern, Switzerland
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 31:845-9. 2008..This study evaluates the habits of ICD patients with respect to sports activities, stays at high-altitude, and driving patterns...
- [Medical emergencies in oncology: from case reports to recommendations]R C Winterhalder
Medizinische Onkologie, Luzerner Kantonsspital, Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 97:507-11. 2008..Epidural spinal cord compression must be recognized early and can be treated with dexamethason, radiation, or surgery...
- Increasing the size of a small peripheral iridotomy widens the anterior chamber angle: an ultrasound biomicroscopy studyF Bochmann
Department of Ophthalmology, Cantonal Hospital of Lucerne, Lucerne, Switzerland
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 225:349-52. 2008..In this study we investigated the effect of enlarging the size of a small PI on the anterior chamber angle in patients with angle closure using ultrasound biomicroscopy (UBM)...
- Transcranial ultrasound of the basal ganglia in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseMüller Martin
Department of Neurology Kantonsspital Lucerne, Spitalstr, Lucerne, Switzerland
J Neuroimaging 18:154-7. 2008....
- Impact of a proprietary concentrate of Sambucus nigra L. on urinary pHBrigitte Walz
Zentrum für Labormedizin, Kantonsspital Luzern, Luzern, Switzerland
Phytother Res 22:977-8. 2008..in its diluted preparation as part of a hypocaloric diet available in Switzerland--had no impact on urinary pH, urinary hydrogen ion concentrations or 24 h excretion and thus did not influence the solubility of stone-inducing ions...
- [Significance of computed tomography evaluation before revision stapes surgery]C Roosli
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohren Heilkunde, Hals und Gesichtschirurgie, Kantonsspital Luzern, Spitalstrasse, 6000, Luzern, Schweiz
HNO 56:895-900. 2008..Unsuccessful outcomes are infrequent, but revision surgery may become necessary. We have analyzed the value of computed tomography (CT) scanning following unsuccessful stapes surgery...
- Rituximab for acute plasma-refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. A case report and concise review of the literatureAxel Rüfer
Division of Haematology, Department of Medicine, Kantonsspital Luzern, Luzern, and University of Bern, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 137:518-24. 2007..We conclude that rituximab should be considered in TTP patients with acquired ADAMTS-13 deficiency who fail to respond clinically after 7-14 days of standard treatment with daily PE and glucocorticoids...
- Investigating the effect of intra-operative infiltration with local anaesthesia on the development of chronic postoperative pain after inguinal hernia repair. A randomized placebo controlled triple blinded and group sequential study design [NCT00484731]Philipp Honigmann
Department of Surgery, Kantonsspital Luzern, Luzern, Switzerland
BMC Surg 7:22. 2007..The most common complication postoperatively is development of chronic pain in up to 30% of all patients irrespective of the operative technique...
- [Anaesthetists learn--do institutions also learn? Importance of institutional learning and corporate culture in clinics]G Schupfer
Institut für Anästhesie, chirurgische Intensivmedizin und Schmerztherapie, Kantonsspital Luzern, 6000, Luzern 16, Schweiz
Anaesthesist 56:983-91. 2007..Therefore, teamwork and leadership are necessary. Successful organisations change the competencies of individuals, the systems, the organisation, the strategy and the culture...
- Relapsing severe anaemia due to primary parvovirus B19 infection after renal transplantation: a case report and review of the literatureAngelika Beckhoff
Clinic for Transplantation Immunology and Nephrology, Institute for Medical Microbiology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:3660-3. 2007
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy of lower calyx calculi: how much is treatment outcome influenced by the anatomy of the collecting system?Hansjorg Danuser
Department of Urology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Eur Urol 52:539-46. 2007..Therefore we evaluated our stone-free rate after ESWL of lower calyx stones and searched for correlations to various anatomic parameters of the collecting system...
- Intra-articular pressure measurement in the radioulnocarpal joint using a novel sensor: in vitro and in vivo resultsDaniel A Rikli
Surgical Department, Kantonsspital Lucerne, Lucerne, Switzerland
J Hand Surg Am 32:67-75. 2007..We performed an in vitro validation of a specifically developed capacitive pressure-sensor device and an in vivo measurement of force transmission and pressure distribution at the radioulnocarpal joint in a healthy volunteer...
- [Modern echocardiography: possibilities and limitations]M Zuber
Kardiologie, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:895-901. 2006..Three dimensional echocardiography is ready for clinical application. Good formation and continuous training in echocardiography according to international guidelines will help to reduce interobserver and intraobserver variability...
- Beyond auscultation--acoustic cardiography in the diagnosis and assessment of cardiac diseaseP Erne
Head of Cardiology, Kantonsspital Luzern, Luzern, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 138:439-52. 2008..It can also be used in a wide variety of ambulatory and inpatient monitoring applications...
- Pulmonary Coccidioides nodule in a Swiss patient with chronic lymphatic leukaemiaMichael Hombach
Department of Medical Microbiology, Center for Laboratory Medicine, Kantonsspital Luzern, Lucerne, Switzerland
J Med Microbiol 57:1427-30. 2008..The disease is rarely encountered in Europe. We describe the case of a 61-year-old Swiss patient with chronic lymphatic leukaemia who was eventually diagnosed with an initially unnoticed pulmonary coccidioidomycosis...
- Antibody-based immunosuppressive agents for corneal transplantationM A Thiel
Department of Ophthalmology, Cantonal Hospital Lucerne, 6000 Lucerne 16, Switzerland
Eye (Lond) 23:1962-5. 2009..The following review explains some of the important aspects of engineered antibody-based therapeutic agents and summarises the current use of such immunosuppressive therapies in transplantation medicine and corneal transplantation...
- [Female pelvic floor insufficiency: the benefit of general practitioner - urogynecologist interaction]Bernhard Schuessler
Neue Frauenklinik, Luzerner Kantonsspital, Luzern
Ther Umsch 67:7-9. 2010..Networking these patients with the urogenecology specialist is mandatory in order to get the best results possible for an individual patient...
- [Nuclear medicine diagnosis of bone metastases]K Strobel
Nuklearmedizin Radiologie, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 98:1293-7. 2009..The great advantage of FDG-PET/CT is the fact that bone metastases and organ metastases can be detected in the same investigation. There is a clear trend of shifting patients from conventional nuclear medicine to PET/CT...
- The management of peripheral facial nerve palsy: "paresis" versus "paralysis" and sources of ambiguity in study designsThomas E Linder
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kantonsspital Luzern, Switzerland
Otol Neurotol 31:319-27. 2010....
- Intraoperative neurophysiology of the conus medullaris and cauda equinaKarl F Kothbauer
Division of Neurosurgery, Luzerner Kantonsspital, 6000 Lucerne 16, Switzerland
Childs Nerv Syst 26:247-53. 2010..Procedures affecting the lumbosacral nervous system are frequent in adult and pediatric neurosurgery. This review provides an overview of the techniques utilized in cauda and conus operations...
- [Eosinophilic granuloma of the mandible--a case report]Cornelia Helbling-Sieder
Klinik fur Mund, Kiefer, Gesichtschirurgie, Oralchirurgie, Luzerner Kantonsspital, CH 6000 Luzern 16
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 119:887-96. 2009..The diagnosis can only be confirmed histopathologically. A comprehensive staging is necessary to determine the extent of the disease and to establish an adequate therapy...
- [Prostate cancer: a review of therapeutic strategies]Ralph C Winterhalder
Medizinische Onkologie, Luzerner Kantonsspital, Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 98:1149-53. 2009..Stage dependent treatment strategies may include surgery, radiotherapy and systemic treatments like hormonal ablation and chemotherapy. The aim of this article is to give an overview of modern treatment strategies...
- [Infections with respiratory syncytial virus. Underestimated risk during anaesthesia in infants]J Wörner
Institut für Anästhesie, Chirurgische Intensivmedizin, Rettungsdienst und Schmerztherapie, Luzerner Kantonsspital, 6004, Luzern, Schweiz
Anaesthesist 58:1041-4. 2009..So far this problem has rarely been mentioned in the literature. We report on an infant with a RSV infection who was ventilation-dependent for 9 days after anaesthesia for a minor intervention...
- Changing incidence of gastric and oesophageal cancer subtypes in central Switzerland between 1982 and 2007Adrian Schmassmann
Department of Clinical Medicine, Luzerner Kantonsspital, Sursee, Spitalstrasse, 6210, Sursee, Switzerland
Eur J Epidemiol 24:603-9. 2009..Whereas the rate of oesophageal adenocarcinoma increased, the rate of squamous cell carcinoma decreased. These results suggest substantial changes in environmental and life-style risk factors over the past 26 years...
- Pyeloplasty in children: is there a difference in patients with or without crossing lower pole vessel?Hans Walter Hacker
Abteilung fur Kinderchirurgie, Universitaetsklinik für Kinder und Jugendmedizin, Tubingen 72076, Germany
Pediatr Surg Int 25:607-11. 2009..The aim of our retrospective study was to determine the role of a crossing lower pole vessel (CV) in children undergoing pyeloplasty...
- Prospective population-based study of RSV-related intermediate care and intensive care unit admissions in Switzerland over a 4-year period (2001-2005)T M Berger
Children s Hospital of Lucerne, Spitalstrasse, Switzerland
Infection 37:109-16. 2009..This article reports on all children aged < 3 years who required admission to IMC and/or ICU between October 1, 2001 and September 30, 2005 in Switzerland...
- The disc damage likelihood scale (DDLS): interobserver agreement of a new grading system to assess glaucomatous optic disc damageF Bochmann
Department of Ophthalmology, Cantonal Hospital of Lucerne, Lucerne, Switzerland
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 226:280-3. 2009..The disc damage likelihood scale (DDLS) is a new grading system to estimate the amount of optic disc damage in glaucoma patients. The objective of this study was to assess the interobserver agreement of the DDLS and the cup/disc ratio...
- [Common immune mediated disorders of the conjunctiva in a general practice]Ch Becht
Augenklinik, Luzerner Kantonsspital, Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 98:429-32. 2009..Allergic rhino-conjunctivitis is the most common encountered disease and the management is discussed. The non ophthalmologist should be cautious in cases of severe atopia, involvement of the cornea and suspicion of corneal infection...
- Expiratory automatic endotracheal tube compensation reduces dynamic hyperinflation in a physical lung modelChristoph Haberthür
Department of Anesthesiology, Section for Surgical Intensive Care, Kantonsspital Luzern, Spitalstrasse, Luzern, Switzerland
Crit Care 13:R4. 2009..We further hypothesized that compensation for expiratory ETT resistance by automatic tube compensation (ATC) attenuates dynamic lung hyperinflation...
- [Acute hemoptysis]B Schwizer
Abteilung fur Pneumologie, Spezialmedizin 2 Departement Medizin, Kantonsspital Luzern
Ther Umsch 63:355-9. 2006..An interdisciplinary approach including pneumologist, thoracic surgeon and radiologist in the management of hemoptysis is essential...
- [Streptococcus milleri. An early sign of cancer in otorhinolaryngologic patients?]T Stojan
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen, Ohren und Gesichtschirurgie, Kantonsspital Luzern 6000, Luzern 16, Schweiz
HNO 54:778-80. 2006..After a delay of several months, squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx was diagnosed in three patients and a neck metastasis without primary tumor in the fourth...
- Intrathecal morphine for chronic benign painHelmut R Gerber
Institut für Anästhesie, Kantonsspital, Ch 6000, Lucerne 16, Switzerland
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 17:429-42. 2003..The sophistication of available technology for intrathecal infusion today far exceeds our knowledge of the potential neurological effects of this treatment modality...
- Effect of non-hypotensive haemorrhage on plasma catecholamine levels and cardiovascular variability in manChristoph Haberthür
Medical Intensive Care Unit, University Hospital, and Blutspendedienst SRK beider Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 23:159-65. 2003..Data in humans are restricted...
- The implementation of the 'International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health' (ICF) in daily practice of neurorehabilitation: an interdisciplinary project at the Kantonsspital of Lucerne, SwitzerlandH P Rentsch
Unit for Neurorehabilitation, Kantonsspital, Spitalstrasse, Ch 6000, Luzern 16, Switzerland
Disabil Rehabil 25:411-21. 2003..The current paper describes the implementation of ICF as a standard language and framework for description of human functioning and disability for common use in every day work by the multiprofessional team...
- [Homicide on first day after commitment to the closed ward of psychiatric clinic--report of a successful rehabilitation against all odds]Andreas Frei
Psychiatrische Klinik Luzern, Kantosspital, Lucerne, Switzerland
Psychiatr Prax 30:165-8. 2003..The treatment and his rehabilitation was performed successfully in a clinic of general psychiatry--in spite of the scepticism of the legal authorities...
- Round window atresia and its effect on sound transmissionThomas E Linder
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Frauenklinikstrasse 24, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Otol Neurotol 24:259-63. 2003..To document isolated round window atresia and to discuss its impact on current theories of inner ear function...
- [Rational assessment and therapy of diarrhea]D Criblez
Medizinische Klinik, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 92:78-85. 2003..In this brief tutorial article a practical algorithm is proposed to guide the clinician through the initial diagnostic steps as well as therapeutic trials...
- [Tachypnea--when breathing induces panic]B Schwizer
Abteilung fur Pneumologie, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 92:29-32. 2003
- A year's review of bacterial pneumonia at the central hospital of Lucerne, SwitzerlandB Hug
Oberarzt Medizinische Klinik B, Kantonsspital, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 131:687-92. 2001..7% (56/335) of patients had a protracted illness with delayed resolution (i.e. prolonged hospital stay, need for intensive care, intubation or several of these complications). Overall mortality in our unit was 8.6%...
- [The environment and autoimmunity--from external causes to inner conflicts]J O Gebbers
Pathologisches Institut, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 90:1913-22. 2001..Yet for the time being, an answer is not available, since the current state of science with respect to autoimmunity and environmental agents is still in the early stages of hazard identification...
- [Complications of acute ENT infections]W Muller
Hals Nasen Ohren Klinik, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 90:1810-8. 2001..Symptoms, differential diagnostic considerations and treatment options of the most common infections in the head and neck are therefore presented...
- [LISS tractor. Combination of the "less invasive stabilization system" (LISS) with the AO distractor for distal femur and proximal tibial fractures]R Babst
Traumatologie, Chirurgische Klinik A, Kantonsspital Luzern, 6002 Luzern, Schweiz
Unfallchirurg 104:530-5. 2001....
- [Travel with small children]G Schubiger
Pädiatrische Klinik, Kinderspital Luzern
Ther Umsch 58:372-5. 2001..Parental knowledge of modern rules for oral rehydration in cases of traveller's diarrhoea is frequently insufficient. Whenever possible, travelling with young children to high risk regions should be avoided...
- [Therapy of venous thromboembolism]A Niederer
Abteilung für Hämatologie, Medizinische Klinik, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 90:213-9. 2001..Patients on long-term oral anticoagulation may learn to measure their INR with a portable coagulation monitor and adjust the dosage of the anticoagulants themselves--this method is called patient self-management of oral anticoagulation...
- Prevention of vitamin K deficiency bleeding with oral mixed micellar phylloquinone: results of a 6-year surveillance in SwitzerlandGregor Schubiger
Department of Paediatrics, Children s Hospital of Lucerne, 6000, Lucerne 16, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr 162:885-8. 2003..Starting on January 1, 2004, the incidence of vitamin K deficiency bleeding will again be monitored prospectively by the Swiss Paediatric Surveillance Unit...
- Continuous monitoring of tracheal pressure including spot-check of endotracheal tube resistanceChristoph Haberthür
Section of Surgical Intensive Care Medicine, Department of Anaesthesia, Kantonsspital Luzern, Switzerland
Technol Health Care 11:413-24. 2003..We conclude that by adopting this bedside procedure periodically, accurate calculation of ptrach is guaranteed and the advantages of the ATC mode are ensured even in long-term ventilatory support...
- Diagnosis and initial management of laryngotracheal injuries associated with facial fracturesJ J Johannes J Kuttenberger
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kantonsspital Luzern, Switzerland
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 32:80-4. 2004..Their symptoms are variable ranging from obvious airway obstruction to minor or almost missing symptoms. Early diagnosis and proper initial management may sometimes be difficult or delayed...
- What do we know about duloxetine's mode of action? Evidence from animals to humansB Schuessler
Kantonsspital Luzern, Neue Frauenklinik, 6000 Luzern 16, Switzerland
BJOG 113:5-9. 2006..These studies support the hypothesis that duloxetine in women with SUI enhances urethral closure through neuromodulation of the rhabdosphincter...
- [Late manifestations of Lyme borreliosis]M Rossi
Abteilung Infektiologie, Kantonsspital Luzern, Luzern
Ther Umsch 62:745-9. 2005..Currently there is no accepted case definition for a "post lyme syndrome". The term "chronic Lyme disease" suggests (a never proven) persistent infection by viable bacteria. Repeated and prolonged antibiotic treatments are not indicated...
- Integra artificial skin in use for full-thickness burn surgery: benefits or harms on patient outcomeAndreas Fette
Paediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital Lucerne, Switzerland
Technol Health Care 13:463-8. 2005..Many artificial skin substitutes have been developed for this purpose so far. The benefits and harms of one substitute--Integra artificial skin--are discussed in a critical literature review...
- [ECG diagnosis. What is your diagnosis?]R Kobza
Abteilung Kardiologie, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:1669-70. 2005
- Paedophilia on the Internet--a study of 33 convicted offenders in the Canton of LucerneAndreas Frei
Psychiatrische Klinik, Kantonsspital Luzern, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 135:488-94. 2005..an international provider of child-pornography in the USA were arrested and the credit-card-numbers of their clients were put at the disposal of the law enforcement agencies of the countries concerned...
- The road to bioabsorbable stents: reaching clinical reality?Paul Erne
Division of Cardiology, Kantonsspital Luzern, Luzern 16 CH 6000, Switzerland
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:11-6. 2006..Preclinical and first clinical experiences with bioabsorbable magnesium stents are discussed...
- Bell's palsy and Herpes simplex virus: fact or mystery?Thomas Linder
Clinic for Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Kantonsspital Luzern, Switzerland
Otol Neurotol 26:109-13. 2005....
- [Long-term results following reconstruction of maxillary sinus wall defects with titanium micro-mesh: a CT-based study]J J Kuttenberger
Klinik fur Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie, Kantonsspital Luzern
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 8:330-6. 2004..Extensive bony defects of maxillary sinus walls have to be reconstructed to prevent long-term complications. Different autogenous, allogeneic, and alloplastic materials, e.g., titanium mesh, are used for reconstruction...
- Brachytherapy: potential therapy for refractory coronary spasmPaul Erne
Division of Cardiology, Kantonsspital Luzern, Luzern, Switzerland
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:1415-9. 2004..We sought to demonstrate that brachytherapy reduces coronary spasm in refractory and highly symptomatic variant angina...
- [GOLD and COPD]B Schwizer
Abteilung fur Pneumologie, Medizinische Klinik, Kantonsspital, Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 93:1087-9. 2004
- Impact of improved survival of very low-birth-weight infants on incidence and severity of bronchopulmonary dysplasiaThomas M Berger
Department of Pediatrics, Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care, Children s Hospital of Luzern, Luzern, Switzerland
Biol Neonate 86:124-30. 2004..It has been suggested that improved survival of very low birth weight (VLBW) infants may have resulted in increased numbers of patients with bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD)...
- [Chronic circumferential aortic dissection with intimo-intimal intussusception]M Rossle
Pathologisches Institut, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munich, Germany
Pathologe 25:116-9. 2004..The present postmortem study documents the very rare case of long-term survival of a chronic circumferential dissection with intimo-intimal intussusception...
- [Endoscopic palliation of gastrointestinal tumor symptoms--what the GP should know]D Criblez
Gastroenterologische Abteilung, Medizinische Klinik, Kantonsspital Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 93:225-32. 2004..This tutorial paper briefly reviews some of these methods. Special consideration is given to a number of practical points regarding patient follow-up by the general practitioner...
- [Risk factors for arteriosclerosis]C Henzen
Medizinische Klinik, Kantonsspital, Luzern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 90:91-5. 2001..Smoking is a main risk factor for peripheral arterial disease and causes advanced arterial lesions in the younger people. Novel risk factors have been identified and contribute to the elucidation of the atherogenic process...