Affiliation: Institute for Empirical Research in Economics
- Oxytocin shapes the neural circuitry of trust and trust adaptation in humansThomas Baumgartner
Center for the Study of Social and Neural Systems, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics, University of Zurich, Blumlisalpstrasse 10, CH 8006 Zurich, Switzerland
Neuron 58:639-50. 2008..These findings may help to develop deeper insights into mental disorders such as social phobia and autism, which are characterized by persistent fear or avoidance of social interactions...
- The neural circuitry of a broken promiseThomas Baumgartner
Institute for Empirical Research in Economics, Laboratory for Social and Neural Systems Research, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Neuron 64:756-70. 2009....
- Negative bias of processing ambiguously cued emotional stimuliTina Kaffenberger
Clinic for General and Social Psychiatry, Psychiatric University Hospital Zurich, CH 8006 Zurich, Switzerland
Neuroreport 21:601-5. 2010..It strengthens the hypothesis of a 'pessimistic' bias of brain activation toward ambiguous emotional events...
- The emotional power of music: how music enhances the feeling of affective picturesThomas Baumgartner
Institute for Empirical Research in Economics and Neuroeconomics, University of Zurich, Blumlisalpstrasse 10, CH 8006 Zurich, Switzerland
Brain Res 1075:151-64. 2006....
- Modulation of corticospinal activity by strong emotions evoked by pictures and classical music: a transcranial magnetic stimulation studyThomas Baumgartner
Department of Neuropsychology, Laboratory for Neuroeconomics and Social Neurosciences, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Neuroreport 18:261-5. 2007..These findings strongly indicate that arousal is a necessary, but not sufficient, prerequisite for triggering the motor system of the brain. We offer a potential explanation for this discrepant, but intriguing, finding in the paper...
- Dorsolateral and ventromedial prefrontal cortex orchestrate normative choiceThomas Baumgartner
Department of Economics, Laboratory for Social and Neural Systems Research, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Nat Neurosci 14:1468-74. 2011..These findings suggest that a parsimonious prefrontal network, the activation of right DLPFC and pVMPFC, and the connectivity between them, facilitates subjects' willingness to incur the cost of normative decisions...
- Neural correlate of spatial presence in an arousing and noninteractive virtual reality: an EEG and psychophysiology studyThomas Baumgartner
Institute for Empirical Research in Economics and Neuroeconomics, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Cyberpsychol Behav 9:30-45. 2006..Thus, the result of our study implies that the increased spatial presence experience in children may result from the not fully developed control functions of the frontal cortex...
- Chronometric features of processing unpleasant stimuli: a functional MRI-based transcranial magnetic stimulation studyTina Kaffenberger
Psychiatric University Hospital, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Neuroreport 19:777-81. 2008..The data suggest a parallel and conjoint involvement of prefrontal and parietal areas for the identification of emotionally negative stimuli...
- From emotion perception to emotion experience: emotions evoked by pictures and classical musicThomas Baumgartner
Division Neuropsychology, Institute for Psychology, University of Zurich, Treichlerstrasse 10, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
Int J Psychophysiol 60:34-43. 2006..Summing up, these findings demonstrate that music can markedly enhance the emotional experience evoked by affective pictures...
- Modulating presence and impulsiveness by external stimulation of the brainGian Beeli
Institute of Psychology, Department of Neuropsychology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Behav Brain Funct 4:33. 2008..abstract:..
- Social support and oxytocin interact to suppress cortisol and subjective responses to psychosocial stressMarkus Heinrichs
Department of Clinical Psychology, , , Switzerland
Biol Psychiatry 54:1389-98. 2003..These results concur with data from animal research suggesting an important role of oxytocin as an underlying biological mechanism for stress-protective effects of positive social interactions...
- Neural correlates of a 'pessimistic' attitude when anticipating events of unknown emotional valenceUwe Herwig
Psychiatric University Hospital Zurich, Department of Neuropsychology, Switzerland
Neuroimage 34:848-58. 2007..Their activity appears to reflect a 'pessimistic' bias by anticipating the events of unknown valence to be unpleasant...
- Modulation of anticipatory emotion and perception processing by cognitive controlUwe Herwig
Psychiatric University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Neuroimage 37:652-62. 2007....