Affiliation: Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois
- From evidence to clinical practice: effective implementation of therapeutic hypothermia to improve patient outcome after cardiac arrestMauro Oddo
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Lausanne University Hospital (Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Crit Care Med 34:1865-73. 2006....
- Early predictors of outcome in comatose survivors of ventricular fibrillation and non-ventricular fibrillation cardiac arrest treated with hypothermia: a prospective studyMauro Oddo
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Lausanne University Medical Center and Faculty of Biology and Medicine, Lausanne, Switzerland
Crit Care Med 36:2296-301. 2008..Additional studies are needed to evaluate the benefit of this treatment in more heterogeneous groups of patients, including those with non-VF rhythms and/or shock and to identify early predictors of outcome in this setting...
- [Update on the management of severe traumatic brain injury]Mauro Oddo
Service de médecine intensive adulte, Département des centres interdisciplinaires et logistique médicale, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 5:2506-10. 2009..We review the classification, pathophysiology and treatment of secondary cerebral damage after severe TBI and discuss the management of intracranial hypertension, cerebral perfusion pressure and brain ischemia...
- Anemia and brain oxygen after severe traumatic brain injuryMauro Oddo
Department of Neurosurgery, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Intensive Care Med 38:1497-504. 2012..To investigate the relationship between hemoglobin (Hgb) and brain tissue oxygen tension (PbtO(2)) after severe traumatic brain injury (TBI) and to examine its impact on outcome...
- Brain lactate metabolism in humans with subarachnoid hemorrhageMauro Oddo
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Lausanne University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Stroke 43:1418-21. 2012..Lactate is central for the regulation of brain metabolism and is an alternative substrate to glucose after injury. Brain lactate metabolism in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage has not been fully elucidated...
- Brain multimodality monitoring: an updateMauro Oddo
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Curr Opin Crit Care 18:111-8. 2012..Brain oedema, cerebral ischemia, energy dysfunction, seizures and systemic insults are the main components of SBI. We here review recent data showing the clinical utility of brain multimodality monitoring (BMM) for the management of SBI...
- Too cold may not be so cool: spontaneous hypothermia as a marker of poor outcome after cardiac arrestJakobea Wörner
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Lausanne University Hospital Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Rue du Bugnon 46, 1011, Lausanne, Switzerland
Crit Care 14:1002. 2010..This study provides an important message to clinicians involved in post-resuscitation care and raises important questions that need to be taken into account in future studies...
- Prognostic value of continuous EEG monitoring during therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrestAndrea O Rossetti
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Lausanne University Hospital and Faculty of Biology and Medicine, BH 07, Rue du Bugnon 46, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Crit Care 14:R173. 2010..The aim of this study was to examine whether cEEG performed during TH may predict outcome...
- Predicting neurological outcome after cardiac arrestMauro Oddo
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Neurology Service, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, University Hospital, Faculty of Biology and Medicine, Lausanne, Switzerland
Curr Opin Crit Care 17:254-9. 2011..However, therapeutic hypothermia alters prognostic accuracy. Parameters for outcome prediction, validated by the American Academy of Neurology before the introduction of therapeutic hypothermia, need further update...
- Effect of shivering on brain tissue oxygenation during induced normothermia in patients with severe brain injuryMauro Oddo
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Neurocrit Care 12:10-6. 2010..We analyzed the impact of shivering on brain tissue oxygenation (PbtO(2)) during induced normothermia in patients with severe brain injury...
- Impact of tight glycemic control on cerebral glucose metabolism after severe brain injury: a microdialysis studyMauro Oddo
Department of Neurology, Critical Care Division, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Crit Care Med 36:3233-8. 2008..To analyze the effect of tight glycemic control with the use of intensive insulin therapy on cerebral glucose metabolism in patients with severe brain injury...
- [Tight glucose control in the ICU: how aggressive should we be?]M Oddo
Service de médecine intensive adulte, CHUV, 101I Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 2:2840-4. 2006..Therefore, while awaiting the results of multi-centric studies, including a large heterogeneous cohort, a less aggressive approach for glucose control is preferable in the majority of critically ill patients...
- Neuromonitoring after major neurosurgical proceduresM Messerer
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne University Hospital and Faculty of Biology and Medicine, Lausanne, Switzerland
Minerva Anestesiol 78:810-22. 2012....
- Status epilepticus: an independent outcome predictor after cerebral anoxiaA O Rossetti
Service de Neurologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Neurology 69:255-60. 2007..The goal of this study was to assess if postanoxic SE is independently associated with mortality after cerebral anoxia...
- Effect of mannitol and hypertonic saline on cerebral oxygenation in patients with severe traumatic brain injury and refractory intracranial hypertensionM Oddo
Neurointensive Care Unit, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:916-20. 2009..We examined the effects on brain tissue oxygen tension (PbtO(2)) of mannitol and hypertonic saline (HTS) in patients with severe traumatic brain injury (TBI) and refractory intracranial hypertension...
- [Merging of two intensive care units: preliminary observations]J P Revelly
Departement des centres interdisciplinaires et de logistique médicale, CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 2:2871-4. 2006..The follow-up will permit to demonstrate long-term benefits. We believe that these observations may be of interest for other departmental or hospital reorganisations...
- [Early neurorehabilitation in an acute university hospital: from dream to reality]L Berney
Unité de neurorééducation précoce avec surveillance intensive, CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 7:952-6. 2011..An early neurorehabilitation care program, with an interdisciplinary and coordinated team, reduces complications and lengths of stay...
- Glucose control after severe brain injuryMauro Oddo
Division of Neurocritical Care, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11:134-9. 2008..While avoidance of hyperglycemia is recommended in neurointensive care, no recommendations exist regarding the optimal target for systemic glucose control after severe brain injury...
- [Strategies targeted at optimising antimicrobial therapy in critically ill patients]Philippe Eggimann
Soins intensifs de chirurgie, Departement de Chirurgie, CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 1:2928-32. 2005..In this context, new strategies targeted at antibiotic control, such as guidelines and de-escalation are needed to control this evolution...
- Carboxyhemoglobin formation as an unexpected side effect of inhaled nitric oxide therapy in severe acute respiratory distress syndromeMarco Rusca
Division of Critical Care, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Crit Care Med 32:2537-9. 2004..This observation does not support the use of inhaled nitric oxide in the treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome...
- [Management of upper digestive hemorrhage in resuscitation: contribution of interventional radiology]Marco Rusca
Division des soins intensifs, Departement de Medecine Interne, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse Romande 124:347-9. 2004..In this article, we will show the outstanding role of interventional radiology in the treatment of acute gastro-intestinal bleeding...
- [New therapeutic strategies in severe sepsis and septic shock]Mauro Oddo
Division des soins intensifs, Departement de Medecine, Interne CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse Romande 124:329-32. 2004..This review will focus on these recently acquired therapeutic modalities, that are presently available to clinicians for the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock...
- Relapsing acute respiratory failure induced by minocyclineMauro Oddo
Critical Care Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Chest 123:2146-8. 2003..We now report a particularly severe case of minocycline-related pulmonary toxicity that was characterized by a relapsing form of hypersensitivity eosinophilic pneumonia complicated by acute respiratory failure...