M E Hegi
Affiliation: Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois
- p53 transdominance but no gain of function in mouse brain tumor modelM E Hegi
Department of Neurosurgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Cancer Res 60:3019-24. 2000..In conclusion, Y236delta is transdominant but exerts no gain-of-function activity mediating a more penetrant tumor phenotype...
- MGMT gene silencing and benefit from temozolomide in glioblastomaMonika E Hegi
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 352:997-1003. 2005....
- Phase I/IIa study of cilengitide and temozolomide with concomitant radiotherapy followed by cilengitide and temozolomide maintenance therapy in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastomaRoger Stupp
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Rue du Bugnon 46, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 28:2712-8. 2010..This multicenter, phase I/IIa study investigated the efficacy and safety of cilengitide in combination with standard chemoradiotherapy in newly diagnosed glioblastoma...
- Effects of radiotherapy with concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide versus radiotherapy alone on survival in glioblastoma in a randomised phase III study: 5-year analysis of the EORTC-NCIC trialRoger Stupp
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Lancet Oncol 10:459-66. 2009..We report the final results with a median follow-up of more than 5 years...
- New trends in the medical management of glioblastoma multiforme: the role of temozolomide chemotherapyAmir R Dehdashti
Department of Neurosurgery, Multidisciplinary Oncology Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Neurosurg Focus 20:E6. 2006..In this short review the authors summarize the current role of TMZ chemotherapy in the management of GBM, with an emphasis on approved indications and practical aspects...
- Correlation of O6-methylguanine methyltransferase (MGMT) promoter methylation with clinical outcomes in glioblastoma and clinical strategies to modulate MGMT activityMonika E Hegi
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery BH 19 110, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 26:4189-99. 2008..Herein we review the data supporting MGMT as a major mechanism of chemotherapy resistance in malignant gliomas and describe ongoing studies that are testing resistance-modulating strategies...
- Optimal role of temozolomide in the treatment of malignant gliomasRoger Stupp
Multidisciplinary Oncology Center, University of Lausanne Hospitals, 46 Rue du Bugnon, Lausanne 1011, Switzerland
Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 5:198-206. 2005..This review summarizes the current knowledge, highlights approved and nonapproved indications, and describes molecular studies that may allow us to identify the patients most likely to benefit from this treatment...
- Clinical trial substantiates the predictive value of O-6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase promoter methylation in glioblastoma patients treated with temozolomideMonika E Hegi
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics of the Neurosurgery Departments of the University Hospitals, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Cancer Res 10:1871-4. 2004..Expression of this excision repair enzyme has been associated with resistance to alkylating chemotherapy...
- Stem cell-related "self-renewal" signature and high epidermal growth factor receptor expression associated with resistance to concomitant chemoradiotherapy in glioblastomaAnastasia Murat
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Centre Universitaire Romand de Neurochirurgie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne 1011, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 26:3015-24. 2008..Here, we aimed to identify molecular profiles specific for treatment resistance to the current standard of care of concomitant chemoradiotherapy with the alkylating agent temozolomide...
- Chemoradiotherapy in malignant glioma: standard of care and future directionsRoger Stupp
Multidisciplinary Oncology Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 25:4127-36. 2007....
- Correlative studies in neuro-oncology trials: should they influence treatment?Monika E Hegi
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Lausanne Chuv, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Curr Oncol Rep 8:54-7. 2006..or move on, incorporate the markers for patient selection or stratification, aim at improving the modestly effective treatments by adding new drugs, and develop alternative therapy strategies for patients selected for their bad predictor?..
- Infrequent promoter methylation of the MGMT gene in liver metastases from uveal melanomaVerena Voelter
Centre Pluridisciplinaire d Oncologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 123:1215-8. 2008..However, these results do not support MGMT methylation status or protein expression as predictive markers for treatment outcome to iah chemotherapy with alkylating agents...
- p73 is not mutated in meningiomas as determined with a functional yeast assay but p73 expression increases with tumor gradeM Nozaki
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Brain Pathol 11:296-305. 2001..Like p53, p73 is exceptionally easy to inactivate as a transcription factor by point mutation. Taken together, these results indicate that p53 and p73 serve very different functions in tumors...
- Elevated levels of MIC-1/GDF15 in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients are associated with glioblastoma and worse outcomeSophie Shnaper
Department of Neurosurgery, Laboratory of Brain Tumor Biology and Genetics, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 125:2624-30. 2009..007, log-rank test). In conclusion, MIC-1/GDF15 protein measured in the CSF may have diagnostic and prognostic value in patients with intracranial tumors...
- Modulation of angiogenic and inflammatory response in glioblastoma by hypoxiaAnastasia Murat
Laboratory of Brain Tumor Biology and Genetics, University Hospital Lausanne CHUV and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 4:e5947. 2009..Our results associate hypoxia-driven tumor response with inflammation in glioblastoma, hence underlining the importance of tumor-host interaction involving the inflammatory compartment...
- Neuro-oncology: oligodendroglioma and molecular markersRoger Stupp
Multidisciplinary Oncology Centre and Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Lausanne Hospitals, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Lancet Neurol 6:10-2. 2007
- Classification of human astrocytic gliomas on the basis of gene expression: a correlated group of genes with angiogenic activity emerges as a strong predictor of subtypesSophie Godard
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, University Hospital CHUV, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Cancer Res 63:6613-25. 2003..The separating groups of genes were found by the unsupervised coupled two-way clustering method, and their classification power was validated by a supervised construction of a nearly perfect glioma classifier...
- Anoxia induces macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1 (MIC-1) in glioblastoma cells independently of p53 and HIF-1Michele Albertoni
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hosptial Lausanne, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Oncogene 21:4212-9. 2002..Taken together, these data suggest that MIC-1 is an important downstream mediator of p53 function, while acting itself as an intercessor of cellular stress signaling and exerting anti-tumorigenic activities...
- Brain tumors: molecular biology and targeted therapiesM E Hegi
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Lausanne Chuv, Lausanne
Ann Oncol 17:x191-7. 2006
- INK4a/Arf is required for suppression of EGFR/DeltaEGFR(2-7)-dependent ERK activation in mouse astrocytes and gliomaYan Lachat
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital CHUV, BH19 110, Lausanne 1011, Switzerland
Oncogene 23:6854-63. 2004..This resistance may contribute to the cooperative tumorigenic effect selected for in human glioblastoma that may be of crucial clinical relevance for treatments specifically targeting EGFR/DeltaEGFR(2-7) in glioblastoma patients...
- Targeting brain-tumor stem cellsRoger Stupp
Nat Biotechnol 25:193-4. 2007
- Genetic alterations in brain tumors following 1,3-butadiene exposure in B6C3F1 miceYongbaek Kim
Laboratory of Experimental Pathology National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Toxicol Pathol 33:307-12. 2005..The observed findings are similar in part to the genetic alterations reported in human brain tumors...
- Validation of real-time methylation-specific PCR to determine O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase gene promoter methylation in gliomaIlse Vlassenbroeck
OncoMethylome Sciences SA, Tour 5 GIGA B34, 3, Avenue de l Hôpital 11, 4000 Liege, Belgium
J Mol Diagn 10:332-7. 2008..This high-throughput test provides an important pharmacogenomic tool for individualized management of alkylating agent chemotherapy...
- Recent developments in the use of chemotherapy in brain tumoursMartin J van den Bent
Department of Neuro Oncology, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center Erasmus University Hospital Rotterdam, P O Box 5201, 3008AE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 42:582-8. 2006..Trials exploring the role of chemotherapy in low-grade glioma are ongoing. No standard chemotherapy is currently available for highly anaplastic glioma failing first-line temozolomide-based therapy...
- Nomograms for predicting survival of patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma: prognostic factor analysis of EORTC and NCIC trial 26981-22981/CE.3Thierry Gorlia
EORTC Data Centre, Brussels, Belgium
Lancet Oncol 9:29-38. 2008....
- Changing paradigms--an update on the multidisciplinary management of malignant gliomaRoger Stupp
Multidisciplinary Oncology Center, University of Lausanne Hospitals, 46 Rue du Bugnon, Lausanne 1011, Switzerland
Oncologist 11:165-80. 2006..This review summarizes recent developments, focusing on the clinical management of patients in daily neuro-oncology practice...
- Methylguanine methyltransferase testing in glioblastoma: when and how?Roger Stupp
J Clin Oncol 25:1459-60. 2007
- Epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors in neuro-oncology: hopes and disappointmentsAlba A Brandes
Department of Medical Oncology, Azienda Unità Sanitaria Locale Bellaria Maggiore Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 14:957-60. 2008..As with other targeted agents, prospective trials using specific criteria and standardized methods to evaluate tissue biomarkers are required to find predictors of EGFR inhibitors activity in high-grade glioma patients...
- Endothelin receptor type B counteracts tenascin-C-induced endothelin receptor type A-dependent focal adhesion and actin stress fiber disorganizationKatrin Lange
Center for Biomedicine, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Cancer Res 67:6163-73. 2007..Inhibition of tenascin-C in combination with blocking both endothelin receptors could present a strategy for sensitization of cancer and endothelial cells toward anoikis...
- Combined lysophosphatidic acid/platelet-derived growth factor signaling triggers glioma cell migration in a tenascin-C microenvironmentKatrin Lange
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics, Department of Biomedicine, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Cancer Res 68:6942-52. 2008..These findings may in turn be relevant for diagnostic or therapeutic applications targeting cancer...
- Growth promoting signaling by tenascin-C [corrected]Christian Ruiz
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Novartis Forschungsstiftung, Basel, Switzerland
Cancer Res 64:7377-85. 2004....
- Prognostic factors for low-grade gliomasRoger Stupp
Multidisciplinary Oncology Center, University Hospital CHUV, 46, Rue du Bugnon, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Semin Oncol 30:23-8. 2003..However, other than surgery, the optimal types and sequence of therapies are not yet established. Improvements in defining prognostic factors will assist in low-grade glioma management...
- MGMT methylation status: the advent of stratified therapy in glioblastoma?Peter Hau
Klinikum der Universitat Regensburg, Klinik und Poliklinik für Neurologie am Bezirksklinikum, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Dis Markers 23:97-104. 2007....