- Resource utilisation and cost analysis of memantine in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's diseaseAnders Wimo
Division of Geriatric Epidemiology Sector of Health Economy, Neurotec, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
Pharmacoeconomics 21:327-40. 2003..Alzheimer's disease (AD) is a devastating illness that causes enormous emotional stress to affected families and is associated with substantial medical and nonmedical costs...
- The GERAS Study: a prospective observational study of costs and resource use in community dwellers with Alzheimer's disease in three European countries--study design and baseline findingsAnders Wimo
KI Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Alzheimers Dis 36:385-99. 2013..Informal care costs formed the greatest proportion of total societal costs, increasing with AD severity independent of costing method. Longitudinal data will provide information on cost trends with disease progression...
- Caregiver preference for rivastigmine patch relative to capsules for treatment of probable Alzheimer's diseaseBengt Winblad
Karolinska Institutet Alzheimer Research Center, Huddinge, Sweden
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:485-91. 2007..Transdermal patches may offer advantages over conventional oral formulations...
- Predictors of costs of care in Alzheimer's disease: a multinational sample of 1222 patientsAnders Gustavsson
Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Alzheimers Dement 7:318-27. 2011..We aimed to identify what measures of disease severity are the most important predictors of societal costs of care and whether their relationship differs across countries...
- Validity and reliability of assessments of time. Comparisons of direct observations and estimates of time by the use of the resource utilization in dementia (RUD)-instrumentAnders Wimo
Aging Research Center ARC, Division of Geriatric Epidemiology and Medicine, Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge Hospital, B84, S 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 44:71-81. 2007..9). There was a high correlation between interview-based data and register data regarding hospital care, family physician, and district nurse visits. In conclusion, interviews may serve as a valid and reliable substitute for observations...
- Patient- and proxy-reported utility in Alzheimer disease using the EuroQoLLinus Jönsson
Neurotec, Section for Geriatric Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 20:49-55. 2006..The study shows that the EuroQoL can be used to rate utilities in Alzheimer disease, but there are important differences between patient- and proxy-ratings...
- More illness and less disease? A 20-year perspective on chronic disease and medicationBertil Hagstrom
Department of Primary Health Care, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Public Health 34:584-8. 2006..Aims: To investigate the apprehension in respect of chronic disease among the working population in a Swedish community in 2000 compared with 1980...
- Impact of donepezil treatment for Alzheimer's disease on caregiver timeAnders Wimo
Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Curr Med Res Opin 20:1221-5. 2004..To assess the impact of donepezil treatment compared with placebo on caregiver time spent assisting patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Societal burden and economics of vascular dementia: preliminary results from a Swedish-population-based studyAnders Wimo
Neurotec, Division of Geriatric Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int Psychogeriatr 15:251-6. 2003..The cost from a societal perspective was 23% higher for patients with VaD compared with patients with Alzheimer's disease ( p = .02)...
- The use of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and other drugs with cardiovascular effects by non-demented and demented elderly with a clinical diagnosis of heart failure. A population-based study of the very oldInga Klarin
Aging Research Center, Division of Geriatric Epidemiology, Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Gavlegatan 16, 113 30, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 62:555-62. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate drug treatment patterns for heart failure (HF) in the very elderly and, in particular, to determine if angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs) were under-used by demented persons...
- The association of inappropriate drug use with hospitalisation and mortality: a population-based study of the very oldInga Klarin
Division of Geriatric Epidemiology, Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Drugs Aging 22:69-82. 2005..The aim of this study was to explore possible associations of IDU with acute hospitalisation and mortality in an elderly population during 3 years of follow-up...
- Pharmacoeconomics of mild cognitive impairmentAnders Wimo
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Neurol Scand Suppl 179:94-9. 2003..From the Kungsholmen project in Sweden, there are indications that the postponement between MCI and manifest dementia may result in short-term benefits (a few years) of about SEK50,000 (5300 US dollars)...
- Cost effectiveness of cholinesterase inhibitors in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease: a review with methodological considerationsAnders Wimo
Division of Geriatric Epidemiology, Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Drugs Aging 21:279-95. 2004....
- A population-based study of drug use in the very old living in a rural district of Sweden, with focus on cardiovascular drug consumption: comparison with an urban cohortInga Klarin
Division of Geriatric Epidemiology, Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 12:669-78. 2003..To describe drug use among the elderly, with focus on cardiovascular drugs and regional differences...
- Time spent on informal and formal care giving for persons with dementia in SwedenAnders Wimo
HC Bergsjö, Box 16, S 820 70 Bergsjö, Sweden
Health Policy 61:255-68. 2002..Some carers do carry a very heavy 24 h responsibility. This aspect of caring must be addressed by the development of well-targeted respite and relief support programmes...
- Assessment of Health Economics in Alzheimer's Disease (AHEAD): treatment with galantamine in SwedenFrances B Garfield
Caro Research Institute, Concord, Massachusetts 01742, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 20:629-37. 2002..Galantamine, a new acetylcholinesterase inhibitor and nicotinic modulator, has proved effective in managing patients with Alzheimer's disease in clinical trials...
- An economic evaluation of donepezil in mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease: results of a 1-year, double-blind, randomized trialAnders Wimo
Department of Family Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 15:44-54. 2003....
- Time use and costs of institutionalised elderly persons with or without dementia: results from the Nordanstig cohort in the Kungsholmen Project--a population based study in SwedenGunilla Nordberg
Aging Research Center ARC, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:639-48. 2007..The aging of the population has become a worldwide phenomenon. This leads to increased demand for services and with limited resources it is important to find a way to estimate how resources can be match to those with greatest need...
- Determinants of costs of care for patients with Alzheimer's diseaseLinus Jönsson
Division of Geriatric Epidemiology, The Neurotec Department, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:449-59. 2006..Alzheimer's disease (AD), the most common cause of dementia, is a major cause of disability and care burden in the elderly. This study aims to estimate the costs of formal and informal care and identity determinants of care costs...
- Health utilities in mild cognitive impairment and dementia: a population study in SwedenMattias Ekman
Stockholm Health Economics, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:649-55. 2007..To collect new primary data on community-based health utilities (time trade-off values) in different stages of mild cognitive impairment and dementia from a general population sample...
- Older patients awaiting emergency department treatmentAnnica Larsson Kihlgren
Centre for Nursing Science, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Scand J Caring Sci 18:169-76. 2004..The way, in which nursing care was carried out, which in this context is discussed in terms of praxis and poieses, appeared to be of major importance for the older peoples' experiences when visiting the ED...
- Clinical and economic outcomes--friend or foe?Anders Wimo
Department of Neurobiology, Care and Society, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Int Psychogeriatr 19:497-507. 2007..Both dementia-specific and generic quality of life instruments are required. Models are necessary but must be transparent so that the assumptions on which the models are built can be critically analyzed...
- A longitudinal study integrating population, care and social services data. The Swedish National study on Aging and Care (SNAC)Marten Lagergren
Stockholm Gerontology Research Center, Stockholm, Sweden
Aging Clin Exp Res 16:158-68. 2004..A large, national, long-term, longitudinal, multi-purpose study has been launched in Sweden--the Swedish National study on Aging and Care (SNAC). The study involves four research centers collecting data in four different areas of Sweden...
- Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia in developing countries: prevalence, management, and risk factorsRaj N Kalaria
Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Lancet Neurol 7:812-26. 2008..Dementia costs in developing countries are estimated to be US$73 billion yearly, but care demands social protection, which seems scarce in these regions...
- [There is a need to reform dementia care. Resources are not used optimally--time for evidence-based care]Jan Marcusson
Geriatriska kliniken, Universitetssjukhuset i Linköping
Lakartidningen 103:1022-4, 1027-8. 2006