Affiliation: Uppsala University
- Individuals in food webs: the relationships between trophic position, omnivory and among-individual diet variationRichard Svanback
Department of Ecology and Genetics Limnology, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18D, 752 36, Uppsala, Sweden
Oecologia 178:103-14. 2015..This study thus shows that trophic position is related to and may be important for among-individual diet variation as well as to phenotypic divergence within populations...
- Niche specialization influences adaptive phenotypic plasticity in the threespine sticklebackRichard Svanback
Biodiversity Research Centre and Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z4, Canada
Am Nat 180:50-9. 2012..Our data indicate that plasticity can evolve rapidly after colonization of a new environment in response to changing niche use...
- Catch me if you can--predation affects divergence in a polyphenic speciesRichard Svanback
Department of Ecology and Genetics Limnology, University of Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden
Evolution 65:3515-26. 2011..This may be a response to UV-stress. Overall, our results suggest that predation can be a strong selective agent on pigmentation differences among conspecifics occupying different habitats...
- Fluctuating population dynamics promotes the evolution of phenotypic plasticityRichard Svanback
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z4, Canada
Am Nat 174:176-89. 2009....
- Population density fluctuations change the selection gradient in Eurasian perchRichard Svanback
Department of Ecology and Evolution Limnology, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Am Nat 173:507-16. 2009..In particular, fluctuating population dynamics may be one explanation for why not all polymorphic populations lead to speciation. Instead, fluctuating population dynamics may favor the evolution of phenotypic plasticity...
- Intraspecific competition drives increased resource use diversity within a natural populationRichard Svanback
Department of Zoology, 6270 University Boulevard, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z4, Canada
Proc Biol Sci 274:839-44. 2007....
- Linking cranial kinematics, buccal pressure, and suction feeding performance in largemouth bassRichard Svanback
Section of Evolution and Ecology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 75:532-43. 2002..These findings are consistent with other recent data and suggest that suction distance is a poor metric of suction feeding performance...
- Predation risk influences adaptive morphological variation in fish populationsPeter Eklöv
Limnology Section, Department of Ecology and Evolution, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 20, SE 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Am Nat 167:440-52. 2006..Thus, a trade-off between foraging and predator avoidance could be responsible for adaptive morphological variation of young perch...
- Effects of resource level and habitat type on behavioral and morphological plasticity in Eurasian perchJens Olsson
Limnology Department of Ecology and Evolution, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Norbyv 20, 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Oecologia 152:48-56. 2007..Dynamics in resource levels and optimal habitat choices might thus be important factors influencing character divergence in natural populations...
- Water transparency drives intra-population divergence in Eurasian Perch (Perca fluviatilis)Pia Bartels
Department of Ecology and Genetics, Limnology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
PLoS ONE 7:e43641. 2012..Our findings indicate that visual conditions can affect population divergence in predator populations through their effects on resource utilization...
- Intrapopulation niche partitioning in a generalist predator limits food web connectivityMario Quevedo
Department of Ecology and Evolution Limnology, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Husargatan 3, 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
Ecology 90:2263-74. 2009..In addition, we suggest a quantitative, standardized approach based on stable isotopes to measure the degree of habitat coupling mediated by a top predator...
- Intraguild predation drives evolutionary niche shift in threespine sticklebackTravis Ingram
Department of Zoology and Biodiversity Research Centre, University of British Columbia, 2370 6270 University Blvd, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z4, Canada
Evolution 66:1819-32. 2012..These findings suggest that intraguild prey evolution has altered food web structure by reducing both predation by the intraguild predator and diet overlap between species...
- Intraspecific Niche Variation Drives Abundance-Occupancy Relationships in Freshwater Fish CommunitiesLeanne Faulks
Animal Ecology, Department of Ecology and Genetics, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18D, 75236 Uppsala, Sweden
Am Nat 186:272-83. 2015....
- The ecology of individuals: incidence and implications of individual specializationDaniel I Bolnick
Section of Evolution and Ecology, Center for Population Biology, Storer Hall, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Am Nat 161:1-28. 2003..Our collection of case studies suggests that individual specialization is a widespread but underappreciated phenomenon that poses many important but unanswered questions...