Affiliation: Uppsala University
- ECG abnormalities in the elderly: prevalence, time and generation trends and association with mortalityUlla Molander
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Aging Clin Exp Res 15:488-93. 2003....
- [Big differences between aging of men and of women. However the interindividual differences within respective gender are bigger]Bertil Steen
Lakartidningen 104:3191-3. 2007
- [Health of the elderly: an issue difficult to penetrate! The medical angle of approach does not give a sufficient answer, quality of life is equally important]Bertil Steen
Lakartidningen 102:3106-7. 2005
- Mortality in three different cohorts of 70-year olds: the impact of social factors and healthKatarina Wihelmson
Department of Social Medicine, Goteborg University, Sweden
Aging Clin Exp Res 14:143-51. 2002..The aim of this study was to analyze differences in mortality in three different cohorts of 70-year olds regarding social factors, social network, self-assessed health and number of diseases...
- Physical activity and mortality of 75-year-old people in three Nordic localities: a five-year follow-upMarja Aijö
Finnish Centre for Interdisciplinary Gerontology, University of Jyvaskyla
Aging Clin Exp Res 14:83-9. 2002..The results showed that being physically active predicted survival for persons aged 75 during the follow-up period in all three localities...
- Number of teeth--a predictor of mortality in the elderly? A population study in three Nordic localitiesTor Osterberg
Department of Geriatric Medicine, The Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 65:335-40. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine whether dental status at age 75 is an independent predictor of survival in three Nordic populations...
- A "healthy" lifestyle in old age and its relation to health and diseaseBertil Steen
Age Ageing 32:365-6. 2003
- Social and medical risk indicators for 8-year mortality in a Swedish urban elderly populationOlga Augustsson
Department of Geriatric Medicine, , Gibraltargatan 1 C, SE 411 32 Goteborg, Sweden
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 36:155-71. 2003..The combination of social and medical risk indicators in MVM, and a CM might be used in studies with larger sample sizes in order to increase the knowledge in this field...
- [Community health centers for the elderly--not only advantages. Why not just differentiated geriatrics to protect a unified specialty?]Bertil Steen
Lakartidningen 102:729-30. 2005
- Does diet matter for survival in long-lived cultures?Mark L Wahlqvist
Asia Pacific Health and Nutrition Centre, Monash Asia Institute, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 14:2-6. 2005..The independence and strength of the predictiveness of food pattern for survival, and for this to be cross-cultural from Europe to Asia is a novel and important observation for food and health policy...
- Motor performance in relation to age, anthropometric characteristics, and serum lipids in womenXinxin Guo
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Goteborg University, Sweden
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 57:M37-44. 2002..The relationships between motor performance and age, anthropometric characteristics, and serum lipids were studied in a population-based sample of women (N = 865)...
- Significant correlations of plasma homocysteine and serum methylmalonic acid with movement and cognitive performance in elderly subjects but no improvement from short-term vitamin therapy: a placebo-controlled randomized studyCatharina Lewerin
Department of Medicine at the Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 81:1155-62. 2005..Deficiencies of vitamin B-12, folic acid, and vitamin B-6-as defined by laboratory measures-occur in 10-20% of elderly subjects. The clinical significance remains unresolved...
- Long-term risks of death and institutionalization of elderly people in relation to deficit accumulation at age 70Kenneth Rockwood
Geriatric Medicine Research Unit, Dalhousie University, 1431 5955 Veterans Memorial Lane, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 2E1, Canada
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:975-9. 2006..To measure relative fitness and frailty in older people without specific frailty instruments and to relate that measurement to long-term health outcomes...
- Secular trends of dental status in five 70-year-old cohorts between 1971 and 2001Tor Osterberg
Department of Cariology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 34:446-54. 2006....
- [Golden ages of the Swedish geriatrics during the 20th century. From the care of chronically ill to a modern specialty--and an international example]Bertil Steen
Lakartidningen 101:2252-5. 2004
- Legumes: the most important dietary predictor of survival in older people of different ethnicitiesIrene Darmadi-Blackberry
Public Health Division, National Ageing Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 13:217-20. 2004..92; 95% CI 0.85-0.99 and RR 0.93; 95% CI 0.87-0.99, respectively). Other food groups were not found to be consistently significant in predicting survival amongst the FHILL cohorts...
- [Swedish health services for the aged stumble along. More research is needed to get geriatrics a steady evidence base!]Bertil Steen
Lakartidningen 101:262-3. 2004
- The two faces of presbyacusis: hearing impairment and psychosocial consequencesAnn Kristin Karlsson Espmark
Department of Audiology, Goteborg University, Vasa Hospital, Sweden
Int J Audiol 41:125-35. 2002..In spite of the participants' worry about hearing deterioration, only 8% requested hearing aids as a result of the examination...
- Improved health among 70-year olds: comparison of health indicators in three different birth cohortsKatarina Wilhelmson
Department of Social Medicine, Goteborg University, Vasa Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Aging Clin Exp Res 14:361-70. 2002....
- [More difficult recruitment of physicians to geriatric care because of a proposal from the National Board of Health and Welfare]Sten Landahl
Lakartidningen 100:1825. 2003
- Ninety-seven-year-old people: general presentation, and some general and medical characteristics from a Swedish population studyLise-Lotte Bredberg
Department of Geriatric Medicine, , Gibraltargatan 1 C, SE 411 32 Gothenburg, Sweden
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 36:37-47. 2003..Furthermore, the subjects are survivors of a cohort of elderly investigated several times by us since 1971/72 at age 70. In some aspects these survivors seem to be an elite of elderly people...
- The compression of morbidity debate in aging: an empirical test using the gerontological and geriatric population studies in Göteborg, Sweden (H70)Richard M Hessler
Sociology Department, University of Missouri Columbia, 303A Middlebush Hall, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 37:213-22. 2003..The findings offer partial support for the compression of morbidity theory...
- Cohort differences in obesity-related health indicators among 70-year olds with special reference to gender and educationClaudia Cabrera
Nordic School of Public Health, Sahlgrenska Academy, , , Sweden
Eur J Epidemiol 18:883-90. 2003..In conclusion, secular trends in many obesity-related health indicators among 70-year old Swedish cohorts were dependent on both gender and socio-economic factors...
- Stroke in 85-year-olds: prevalence, incidence, risk factors, and relation to mortality and dementiaMartin Liebetrau
Department of Neurology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Germany
Stroke 34:2617-22. 2003..In this age, it is important to use several sources of information to detect stroke because of the high number of demented. High blood pressure increases stroke risk also in the very old, which is important in relation to prevention...
- Depression as a risk factor for the incidence of first-ever stroke in 85-year-oldsMartin Liebetrau
Department of Neurology, Dr Horst Schmidt Klinik, Wiesbaden, Germany
Stroke 39:1960-5. 2008..Few studies have examined whether depression increases the risk for stroke in the very old and among the demented. We examined the relation between depression in 85-year-olds and the 3-year incidence of first-ever stroke...