Affiliation: University Hospital
- Staphylococcus aureus, but not Staphylococcus epidermidis, modulates the oxidative response and induces apoptosis in human neutrophilsAsa Nilsdotter-Augustinsson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
APMIS 112:109-18. 2004..Our results may explain why S. epidermidis is a weak inducer of inflammation compared to S. aureus, and therefore responsible for the indolent and chronic course of S. epidermidis biomaterial infections...
- Characterization of coagulase-negative staphylococci isolated from patients with infected hip prostheses: use of phenotypic and genotypic analyses, including tests for the presence of the ica operonA Nilsdotter-Augustinsson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Linkoping University, 58185 Linkoping, Sweden
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 26:255-65. 2007..The presence of the intercellular adhesion (ica) operon does not seem to be a prerequisite for establishing infection with CoNS...
- Inflammatory response in 85 patients with loosened hip prostheses: a prospective study comparing inflammatory markers in patients with aseptic and septic prosthetic looseningAsa Nilsdotter-Augustinsson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Orthop 78:629-39. 2007..The most common complications of prosthetic hip joints are aseptic mechanical failure and infection. Delayed low-grade infections are seen most often, and they are also most difficult to distinguish from aseptic mechanical failures...
- Adherence of Staphylococcus epidermidis to extracellular matrix proteins and effects of fibrinogen-bound bacteria on oxidase activity and apoptosis in neutrophilsAsa Nilsdotter-Augustinsson
Divisions of Infectious Diseases, Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
APMIS 113:361-73. 2005..epidermidis induces only a weak inflammatory response, which in combination with the ability of the adherent bacteria to retard neutrophil apoptosis may contribute to low-grade inflammation and loosening of prostheses...
- Apoptotic neutrophils containing Staphylococcus epidermidis stimulate macrophages to release the proinflammatory cytokines tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-6Asa Wilsson
School of Health Sciences, Jonkoping University, Jonkoping, Sweden
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 53:126-35. 2008..epidermidis might represent an important mechanism to combat the infective agent. This activation of macrophages may contribute to the development of chronic inflammation instead of inflammation resolution...