Jane M Morrell
Affiliation: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- Morrell J, Johannisson A, Dalin A, Hammar L, Sandebert T, Rodriguez Martinez H. Sperm morphology and chromatin integrity in Swedish warmblood stallions and their relationship to pregnancy rates. Acta Vet Scand. 2008;50:2 pubmed publisher..Either or both of the parameters, sperm morphology and sperm chromatin integrity, seem to be useful in predicting the fertilising ability of stallion ejaculates, particularly in determining cases of sub-fertility. ..
- Morrell J, Mari G, Kútvölgyi G, Meurling S, Mislei B, Iacono E, et al. Pregnancies following artificial insemination with spermatozoa from problem stallion ejaculates processed by single layer centrifugation with Androcoll-E. Reprod Domest Anim. 2011;46:642-5 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results suggest that SLC may be useful when preparing AI doses from some 'problem' ejaculates. ..
- Morrell J, Johannisson A, Dalin A, Rodriguez Martinez H. Morphology and chromatin integrity of stallion spermatozoa prepared by density gradient and single layer centrifugation through silica colloids. Reprod Domest Anim. 2009;44:512-7 pubmed publisher..SLC, being simpler to use than DGC, would be appropriate for routine use by stud personnel to improve stallion sperm quality in insemination doses. ..
- Morrell J, Johannisson A, Dalin A, Rodriguez Martinez H. Single-layer centrifugation with Androcoll-E can be scaled up to allow large volumes of stallion ejaculate to be processed easily. Theriogenology. 2009;72:879-84 pubmed publisher..The processing of an "average" stallion Equus caballus ejaculate in approximately twenty-seven 10-mL tubes (SLC-Inc) or eight 50-mL tubes (SLC-Large) is feasible, the latter being considered more practical for on-stud use. ..
- Morrell J, Saravia F, VAN Wienen M, Wallgren M, Rodriguez Martinez H. Selection of boar spermatozoa using centrifugation on a glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane-coated silica colloid. J Reprod Dev. 2009;55:547-52 pubmed..In a further experiment, larger volumes of ejaculate were processed easily on a modified SLC, indicating that this method may be practical for processing large volumes of boar ejaculates. ..
- Morrell J, Rodriguez Martinez H, Johannisson A. Single layer centrifugation of stallion spermatozoa consistently selects the most robust spermatozoa from the rest of the ejaculate in a large sample size. Equine Vet J. 2010;42:579-85 pubmed publisher..SLC consistently improved the quality of stallion sperm samples from a large number of ejaculates. The method could be scaled-up, allowing larger volumes of ejaculate to be processed easily from a wide range of stallions. ..
- Morrell J, Pihl J, Dalin A, Johannisson A. Restoration of seminal plasma to stallion spermatozoa selected by colloid centrifugation increases sperm progressive motility but is detrimental to chromatin integrity. Theriogenology. 2012;78:345-52 pubmed publisher..However, it should be added immediately before insemination rather than before storage of the sperm dose, to benefit from the transient increase in sperm progressive motility and avoid increased chromatin damage. ..