- Shao R, Nutu M, Weijdegård B, Egecioglu E, Fernandez Rodriguez J, Karlsson Lindahl L, et al. Clomiphene citrate causes aberrant tubal apoptosis and estrogen receptor activation in rat fallopian tube: implications for tubal ectopic pregnancy. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:1262-71 pubmed publisher....
- Shao R, Zou S, Wang X, Feng Y, Brannstrom M, Stener Victorin E, et al. Revealing the hidden mechanisms of smoke-induced fallopian tubal implantation. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:131 pubmed publisher..Because cigarette/tobacco smoke adversely affects the success of intrauterine implantation, there is a great need to determine how embryo implantation occurs in the fallopian tube in female smokers of reproductive age. ..
- Shao R, Rung E, Weijdegård B, Billig H. Induction of apoptosis increases SUMO-1 protein expression and conjugation in mouse periovulatory granulosa cells in vitro. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:50-60 pubmed..Taken together, our observations suggest that SUMO-1 via sumoylation has an important role in the regulation of granulosa cell apoptosis during granulosa cell differentiation in the mouse ovary. ..
- Shao R, Ljungström K, Weijdegård B, Egecioglu E, Fernandez Rodriguez J, Zhang F, et al. Estrogen-induced upregulation of AR expression and enhancement of AR nuclear translocation in mouse fallopian tubes in vivo. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;292:E604-14 pubmed..To our knowledge, this study provides the first demonstration to illustrate that estrogen as a principal regulator may contribute to regulate and activate AR in the fallopian tubes in vivo. ..
- Shao R, Weijdegård B, Fernandez Rodriguez J, Egecioglu E, Zhu C, Andersson N, et al. Ciliated epithelial-specific and regional-specific expression and regulation of the estrogen receptor-beta2 in the fallopian tubes of immature rats: a possible mechanism for estrogen-mediated transport process in vivo. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;293:E147-58 pubmed..We show for the first time that a previously unrecognized localization of ERbeta isoform in rat fallopian tubes can combine with estrogen to individually control the expression of ER beta-isoforms in normal target tissues. ..
- Shao R, Egecioglu E, Weijdegård B, Kopchick J, Fernandez Rodriguez J, Andersson N, et al. Dynamic regulation of estrogen receptor-alpha isoform expression in the mouse fallopian tube: mechanistic insight into estrogen-dependent production and secretion of insulin-like growth factors. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;293:E1430-42 pubmed....
- Shao R, Nutu M, Weijdegård B, Egecioglu E, Fernandez Rodriguez J, Tallet E, et al. Differences in prolactin receptor (PRLR) in mouse and human fallopian tubes: evidence for multiple regulatory mechanisms controlling PRLR isoform expression in mice. Biol Reprod. 2008;79:748-57 pubmed publisher..These findings may contribute to our understanding of the mechanisms controlling PRLR isoform expression in the fallopian tube (in addition to ovary and uterus), with implications for female reproduction. ..
- Shao R, Nutu M, Karlsson Lindahl L, Benrick A, Weijdegård B, Lager S, et al. Downregulation of cilia-localized Il-6R alpha by 17beta-estradiol in mouse and human fallopian tubes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;297:C140-51 pubmed publisher..Our findings open the possibility that cilia-specific IL-6R alpha may play a role in the regulation of OCC transport and suggest an estrogen-regulatory pathway of IL-6R alpha in the fallopian tube...
- Shao R, Zhang S, Weijdegård B, Zou S, Egecioglu E, Norstrom A, et al. Nitric oxide synthases and tubal ectopic pregnancies induced by Chlamydia infection: basic and clinical insights. Mol Hum Reprod. 2010;16:907-15 pubmed publisher..Therefore, tissue-specific therapeutic approaches to suppress iNOS expression may help to prevent ectopic implantation in patients with prior C. trachomatis infection of the Fallopian tube. ..
- Shao R, Norstrom A, Weijdegård B, Egecioglu E, Fernandez Rodriguez J, Feng Y, et al. Distinct expression pattern of Dicer1 correlates with ovarian-derived steroid hormone receptor expression in human Fallopian tubes during ovulation and the midsecretory phase. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:E869-77 pubmed publisher..Tissue-specific dicer1 knockout mice display severe, irreversible Fallopian tube damage and disrupted tubal transport. It is not known how Dicer1 affects human Fallopian tube function...
- Shao R, Wang X, Weijdegård B, Norstrom A, Fernandez Rodriguez J, Brannstrom M, et al. Coordinate regulation of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein dynamics by steroid hormones in the human fallopian tube and endometrium in vivo and in vitro. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2012;302:E1269-82 pubmed publisher..Both actions may contribute to regulation of gene transcription...
- Shao R, Wang X, Wang W, Stener Victorin E, Mallard C, Brannstrom M, et al. From mice to women and back again: causalities and clues for Chlamydia-induced tubal ectopic pregnancy. Fertil Steril. 2012;98:1175-85 pubmed publisher....