Affiliation: Sahlgrenska University Hospital
- Heart rate variability in obesity and the effect of weight lossK Karason
Department of Cardiology, Wallenberg Laboratory for Cardiovascular Research, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Am J Cardiol 83:1242-7. 1999..05). Our findings suggest that obese patients have increased sympathetic activity and a withdrawal of vagal activity and that these autonomic disturbances improve after weight loss...
- Evaluation of CXCL9 and CXCL10 as circulating biomarkers of human cardiac allograft rejectionKristjan Karason
Department of Cardiology, The Sahlgrenska Academy, Göteborgs University, SE 413 45, Goteborg, Sweden
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 6:29. 2006..However, this is an invasive procedure, which is unpleasant for the patient and carries a certain risk. Therefore, a sensitive non-invasive biomarker of acute rejection would be desirable...
- Effort-related calf pain in the obese and long-term changes after surgical obesity treatmentKristjan Karason
Department of Cardiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Obes Res 13:137-45. 2005..To compare the prevalence of effort-related calf pain in an obese and a general population and to analyze the incidence of and recovery from such pain after surgical and conventional obesity treatment...
- Impact of blood pressure and insulin on the relationship between body fat and left ventricular structureKristjan Karason
Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Cardiovascular Institute, 413 45 Gothenburg, Sweden
Eur Heart J 24:1500-5. 2003..However, the underlying mechanisms behind these relationships are not clear. The aim of this study was to investigate how body composition, blood pressure and metabolic factors relate to left ventricular mass and geometry...
- Relief of cardiorespiratory symptoms and increased physical activity after surgically induced weight loss: results from the Swedish Obese Subjects studyK Karason
Department of Cardiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Arch Intern Med 160:1797-802. 2000..In the present study of patients with severe obesity, we investigated the effects of surgically induced weight loss on cardiorespiratory symptoms and leisure-time physical activity...
- Weight loss and progression of early atherosclerosis in the carotid artery: a four-year controlled study of obese subjectsK Karason
Department of Cardiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23:948-56. 1999..To investigate the extent of carotid artery atherosclerosis in obese subjects and to examine the possible effects of weight loss on atherosclerotic development...
- Carotid artery remodelling in relation to body fat distribution, inflammation and sustained weight loss in obesityD Kardassis
Department of Cardiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Intern Med 275:534-43. 2014..Obesity is known to be associated with carotid artery remodelling, but less is known about how body fat distribution, inflammation and weight loss may affect this relation...
- Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjectsLars Sjöström
Institute of Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
N Engl J Med 357:741-52. 2007..In fact, many observational studies suggest that weight reduction is associated with increased mortality...
- Effects of bariatric surgery on cancer incidence in obese patients in Sweden (Swedish Obese Subjects Study): a prospective, controlled intervention trialLars Sjöström
The Institutes of Medicine, The Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Lancet Oncol 10:653-62. 2009..To our knowledge, the Swedish Obese Subjects (SOS) study is the first intervention trial in the obese population to provide prospective, controlled cancer-incidence data...
- The feasibility of left ventricular mechanical support as a bridge to cardiac recoveryHans Liden
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, S 413 45 Gothenburg, Sweden
Eur J Heart Fail 9:525-30. 2007..To study the achievability of device weaning in patients receiving left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) as a bridge to transplantation...
- Two year reduction in sleep apnea symptoms and associated diabetes incidence after weight loss in severe obesityRonald R Grunstein
Department of Puhnlmonary and Sleep Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Sleep 30:703-10. 2007..To evaluate the effect of bariatric surgery on sleep apnea symptoms and obesity-associated morbidity in patients with severe obesity...
- Quality of life 15 years after coronary artery bypass graftingJohan Herlitz
Institute of Medicine, Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Coron Artery Dis 20:363-9. 2009..To describe changes in quality of life (QoL) during 15 years after coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) and prediction of impaired QoL after 15 years...
- Comparison of low and high initial tacrolimus dosing in primary heart transplant recipients: a prospective European multicenter studyBruno K Podesser
Abtelung für Herz und Thoraxchirurgie, AKH Wien, University of Vienna, Austria
Transplantation 79:65-71. 2005..The purpose of this prospective, randomized, open-label, phase II, multicenter study was to optimize the initial oral dose of tacrolimus...