Affiliation: Sahlgrenska University Hospital
- SchÃ©le E, Grahnemo L, Anesten F, HallÃ©n A, BÃ¤ckhed F, Jansson J. Regulation of body fat mass by the gut microbiota: Possible mediation by the brain. Peptides. 2016;77:54-9 pubmed publisher..A recent study from our lab shows, for the first time, a link between gut microbiota and energy balance circuitries in the hypothalamus and brainstem. In this article we will review this study further. ..
- Arora T, Wegmann U, Bobhate A, Lee Y, Greiner T, Drucker D, et al. Microbially produced glucagon-like peptide 1 improves glucose tolerance in mice. Mol Metab. 2016;5:725-730 pubmed publisher..The L. lactis strain genetically modified to produce GLP-1 is capable of stimulating insulin secretion from islets and improving glucose tolerance in mice. ..
- De Vadder F, Grasset E, Mannerås Holm L, Karsenty G, Macpherson A, Olofsson L, et al. Gut microbiota regulates maturation of the adult enteric nervous system via enteric serotonin networks. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018;115:6458-6463 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings show that the microbiota modulates the anatomy of the adult ENS in a 5-HT-dependent fashion with concomitant changes in intestinal transit. ..
- Khan M, Nieuwdorp M, BÃ¤ckhed F. Microbial modulation of insulin sensitivity. Cell Metab. 2014;20:753-760 pubmed publisher..Increased mechanistic insights of how the microbiota modulates metabolic disease in humans may pave the way for identification of innovative microbiota-based diagnostics and/or therapeutics. ..
- Zietak M, Kovatcheva Datchary P, Markiewicz L, Ståhlman M, Kozak L, Backhed F. Altered Microbiota Contributes to Reduced Diet-Induced Obesity upon Cold Exposure. Cell Metab. 2016;23:1216-1223 pubmed publisher..Thus, a microbiota-liver-BAT axis may mediate protection against obesity at reduced temperature. ..
- Mardinoglu A, Wu H, Björnson E, Zhang C, Hakkarainen A, Räsänen S, et al. An Integrated Understanding of the Rapid Metabolic Benefits of a Carbohydrate-Restricted Diet on Hepatic Steatosis in Humans. Cell Metab. 2018;27:559-571.e5 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the potential of exploring diet-microbiota interactions for treating NAFLD. ..
- BÃ¤ckhed F, Roswall J, Peng Y, Feng Q, Jia H, Kovatcheva Datchary P, et al. Dynamics and Stabilization of the Human Gut Microbiome during the First Year of Life. Cell Host Microbe. 2015;17:690-703 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish a framework for understanding the interplay between the gut microbiome and the human body in early life. ..
- ..Now, Wang et al. demonstrate that inhibition of microbial TMA lyases, essential for production of pro-atherogenic trimethylamines, prevents atherosclerosis in vivo. ..
- FÃ¥k F, Tremaroli V, BergstrÃ¶m G, BÃ¤ckhed F. Oral microbiota in patients with atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 2015;243:573-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, abundance of Anaeroglobus in the oral cavity could be associated with symptomatic atherosclerosis. ..
- Arora T, Akrami R, Pais R, Bergqvist L, Johansson B, Schwartz T, et al. Microbial regulation of the L cell transcriptome. Sci Rep. 2018;8:1207 pubmed publisher..Thus, the microbiota has a rapid and pronounced effect on the L cell transcriptome, predominantly in the ileum. ..
- Schroeder B, Birchenough G, Ståhlman M, Arike L, Johansson M, Hansson G, et al. Bifidobacteria or Fiber Protects against Diet-Induced Microbiota-Mediated Colonic Mucus Deterioration. Cell Host Microbe. 2018;23:27-40.e7 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that the presence of distinct bacteria is crucial for proper mucus function. If confirmed in humans, these findings may help to better understand diseases with an affected mucus layer, such as ulcerative colitis. ..
- Kovatcheva Datchary P, Nilsson A, Akrami R, Lee Y, De Vadder F, Arora T, et al. Dietary Fiber-Induced Improvement in Glucose Metabolism Is Associated with Increased Abundance of Prevotella. Cell Metab. 2015;22:971-82 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that Prevotella plays a role in the BKB-induced improvement in glucose metabolism observed in certain individuals, potentially by promoting increased glycogen storage. ..
- De Vadder F, Kovatcheva Datchary P, Zitoun C, Duchampt A, Backhed F, Mithieux G. Microbiota-Produced Succinate Improves Glucose Homeostasis via Intestinal Gluconeogenesis. Cell Metab. 2016;24:151-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, microbiota-produced succinate is a previously unsuspected bacterial metabolite improving glycemic control through activation of IGN. ..
- Molinaro A, Caesar R, Holm L, Tremaroli V, Cani P, Backhed F. Host-microbiota interaction induces bi-phasic inflammation and glucose intolerance in mice. Mol Metab. 2017;6:1371-1380 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights on host-microbiota interaction during colonization of GF mice and the resulting effects on adiposity and glucose metabolism in a time resolved fashion. ..
- Tremaroli V, Karlsson F, Werling M, StÃ¥hlman M, Kovatcheva Datchary P, Olbers T, et al. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Vertical Banded Gastroplasty Induce Long-Term Changes on the Human Gut Microbiome Contributing to Fat Mass Regulation. Cell Metab. 2015;22:228-38 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the gut microbiota may play a direct role in the reduction of adiposity observed after bariatric surgery. ..
- Fåk F, Backhed F. Lactobacillus reuteri prevents diet-induced obesity, but not atherosclerosis, in a strain dependent fashion in Apoe-/- mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46837 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the probiotic L. reuteri strain ATCC PTA 4659 partly prevented diet-induced obesity, possibly via a previously unknown mechanism of inducing liver expression of Cpt1a. ..