L G Petersson
Affiliation: Research and Development Unit
- Remineralization of primary root caries lesions using an amine fluoride rinse and dentifrice twice a dayLars G Petersson
Department of Communty and Preventive Dentistry, Dental and Maxillofacial Unit, Central Hospital, Halmstad, S 301 85, Sweden
Am J Dent 20:93-6. 2007..To assess the clinical effect of daily use of a toothpaste and mouthrinse, both containing amine fluoride, on primary root caries lesions (PRCL) in an adult caries risk population...
- Remineralisation study of artificial root caries lesions after fluoride treatment. An in vitro study using electric caries monitor and transversal micro-radiographyLars G Petersson
Department of Community and Preventive Dentistry, Maxillofacial Unit, Central Hospital, Halmstad, Sweden
Gerodontology 21:85-92. 2004..To evaluate and compare remineralisation of root caries lesions after in vitro treatment with various fluoride (F) agents using an Electric Caries Monitor (ECM) and Transversal Micro-Radiography (TMR)...
- Professional fluoride varnish treatment for caries control: a systematic review of clinical trialsLars G Petersson
Department of Community and Preventive Dentistry, Oral Maxillo facial Unit, Central Hosptial, Halmstad, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 62:170-6. 2004..This systematic review reinforces the need for future dinical research of high quality, incorporating modern concepts of dinical performance and evaluation to assess dental caries control using professional fluoride varnish...
- Fluoride concentrations in saliva and dental plaque in young children after intake of fluoridated milkL G Petersson
Medical and Oral Health Centre, Halmstad, Sweden
Caries Res 36:40-3. 2002..Further studies are required to determine the 'therapeutic concentration' of F in dental plaque after intake of fluoridated milk...
- Effect of quarterly treatments with a chlorhexidine and a fluoride varnish on approximal caries in caries-susceptible teenagers: a 3-year clinical studyL G Petersson
Department of Preventive and Paediatric Dentistry, Medical and Dental Health Centre, Lanssjukhuset, Sweden
Caries Res 34:140-3. 2000..In conclusion, treatments every 3rd month with either a fluoride- or a chlorhexidine/thymol-containing varnish showed a promising effect with low approximal caries incidence and progression in teenagers with proven caries susceptibility...
- Effect of semi-annual applications of a chlorhexidine/fluoride varnish mixture on approximal caries incidence in schoolchildren. A three-year radiographic studyL G Petersson
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Medical and Dental Health Center, Halmstad, Sweden
Eur J Oral Sci 106:623-7. 1998....
- Interdental caries incidence and progression in relation to mutans streptococci suppression after chlorhexidine-thymol varnish treatments in schoolchildrenS Twetman
Department of Pediatric Dentistry and Public Dental Health, Medical and Dental Center, Halmstad, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 57:144-8. 1999..Monitoring the effect of antibacterial agents in a site-specific way could therefore be advocated...
- The efficiency of semiannual silane fluoride varnish applications: a two-year clinical study in preschool childrenL G Petersson
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Medical and Dental Center, Halmstad, Sweden
J Public Health Dent 58:57-60. 1998..The aim of this two-year community demonstration trial was to study the caries inhibitory effects of semiannual applications of a fluoride varnish in preschool children...
- Inhibition of enamel lesion formation by fluoridated milk assessed by laser fluorescence--an in vitro studyK Engstrom
Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Oral and Maxillo Facial Unit, Lanssjukhuset, Halmstad, 301 85, Sweden
Clin Oral Investig 10:249-52. 2006..The findings indicated that fluoride added to milk may to some extent counteract enamel lesion formation as assessed by LF in an experimental caries model...
- Fluoride concentration in whole saliva and separate gland secretions in schoolchildren after intake of fluoridated milkS Twetman
Department of Dentistry, Medical and Dental Center, Central Hospital, Halmstad, Sweden
Caries Res 32:412-6. 1998..In conclusion, the results of this study demonstrate that fluoride ingested with milk is excreted through the salivary glands, indicating that the bioavailability of fluoride from milk equals that of other vehicles...
- Approximal caries development following intensive fluoride mouthrinsing in teenagers. A 3-year radiographic studyL G Petersson
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Medical and Dental Health Centre, Halmstad, Sweden
Eur J Oral Sci 106:1048-51. 1998..76+/-5.01 DFS in the control group (n = 32), a 36% caries reduction which was statistically significant. The intensified mouthrinsing procedure seems to be a promising prophylactic mode for collective caries prevention...
- Fluoride concentration in supragingival dental plaque after a single intake or habitual consumption of fluoridated milkKristina Engström
Department of Odontology, Pediatric Dentistry, Umea University, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 60:311-4. 2002..In conclusion, the findings support the suggestion that milk is a suitable vehicle for local fluoride administration into the oral cavity, also when consumed together with a meal...
- Effect of dentifrices with antimicrobial agents on mutans streptococci in saliva and approximal dental plaque in orthodontic patientsKerstin Magnusson
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Maxillofacial Unit, Central Hospital, Halmstad, Sweden
Oral Health Prev Dent 5:223-7. 2007..The aim of the present investigation was to study the effect of daily use of fluoride dentifrices containing various antimicrobial agents on mutans streptococci (MS) in saliva and approximal dental plaque...
- Approximal caries development in adolescents with low to moderate caries risk after different 3-year school-based supervised fluoride mouth rinsing programmesUlla Moberg Sköld
Department of Preventive Dental Care, Vastra Gotaland Region, Goteborg, Sweden
Caries Res 39:529-35. 2005..The main conclusion from this randomised controlled trial is that school-based FMR, as a supplement to the daily use of F toothpaste, reduces caries incidence on approximal surfaces in adolescents with low to moderate caries risk...
- Prevalence of dental fluorosis in children from non-water-fluoridated Halmstad, Sweden: fluoride toothpaste use in infancyDavid I Conway
Dental Public Health Unit, Level 8, University of Glasgow Dental Hospital and School, 378 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JZ, UK
Acta Odontol Scand 63:56-63. 2005..To determine the prevalence and severity of dental fluorosis in children aged 7-9 years from non-water-fluoridated Halmstad, Sweden, and to relate the results to their reported fluoride exposure history during infancy...
- Effect of school-based fluoride varnish programmes on approximal caries in adolescents from different caries risk areasUlla Moberg Sköld
Department of Preventive Dental Care, Vastra Gotaland Region, Goteborg, Sweden
Caries Res 39:273-9. 2005..To conclude, school-based F varnish treatment every 6 months in 13- to 16-year-olds is excellent to prevent approximal caries in medium and high caries risk areas...
- Lactic acid formation in supragingival dental plaque after schoolchildren's intake of fluoridated milkKristina Engström
Department of Odontology Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty and Odontology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Oral Health Prev Dent 2:13-7. 2004..Milk can be used as vehicle for fluoride administration. The aim of this study was to investigate the lactic acid formation in dental plaque after daily intake of fluoridated milk...
- Effect of combined caries-preventive methods: a systematic review of controlled clinical trialsSusanna Axelsson
The Swedish Council on Technology Assessment in Health Care, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 62:163-9. 2004..No conclusion could be drawn regarding the evidence for combinations of treatments being effective for groups at high caries risk, as the results from the identified clinical studies were conflicting...
- Composition of the salivary microflora during habitual consumption of fluoridated milkKristina Engström
Oral and Maxillo Facial Unit, Lanssjukhuset, Halmstad, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 62:143-6. 2004..In conclusion, this study was unable to disclose any significant alteration of the composition of the salivary microflora following daily intake of fluoridated milk...
- Caries-preventive effect of fluoride toothpaste: a systematic reviewSvante Twetman
Department of Odontology, Pediatric Dentistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 61:347-55. 2003..In conclusion, this review reinforced the importance of daily toothbrushing with fluoridated toothpastes for preventing dental caries, although long-term studies in age groups other than children and adolescents are still lacking...
- Economic evaluation of dental caries prevention: a systematic reviewCarina Källestål
National Institute of Public Health, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 61:341-6. 2003..The scarcity of well-conducted studies, as well as contradictory evidence in the reviewed articles, makes it difficult to judge the health-economic effect of the studied caries-prevention methods...
- Dietary factors in the prevention of dental caries: a systematic reviewPeter Lingström
Department of Cariology, Faculty of Odontology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 61:331-40. 2003..The review dearly demonstrates the need for well-designed randomized clinical studies with adequate control groups and high compliance...
- Effect of a dental cream containing amorphous cream phosphate complexes on white spot lesion regression assessed by laser fluorescenceAnita Andersson
Department of Orthodontics, Public Dental Service, Skansgatan 1B, SE 302 46 Halmstad, Sweden
Oral Health Prev Dent 5:229-33. 2007..To investigate and compare the effects of a dental cream containing complexes of casein phosphoprotein-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP) and fluoride mouthwashes on the regression of white spot lesions (WSL)...
- Photographic assessment of fluorosis in children from naturally fluoridated Kungsbacka and non-fluoridated Halmstad, SwedenLorna M D Macpherson
Dental Public Health Unit, University of Glasgow Dental School, Glasgow, UK
Acta Odontol Scand 65:149-55. 2007....
- Caries-preventive effect of fissure sealants: a systematic reviewIngegerd Mejare
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Eastman Dental Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 61:321-30. 2003..Overall, there remains a need for further trials of high quality, particularly in child populations with a low and a high caries risk, respectively...