Affiliation: Research and Development Unit
- Use of broth enrichment and real-time PCR to exclude the presence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in clinical samples: a sensitive screening approachP Nilsson
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infection Control, The County Hospital of Halmstad, Sweden
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:1027-34. 2005..On average, the MRSA strains showed a 300 000-fold increase in CFU, compared with 30-fold for the eight methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus strains tested...
- Staphylococcus aureus throat colonization is more frequent than colonization in the anterior naresPeter Nilsson
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infection Control, The County Hospital of Halmstad, S 30185 Halmstad, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 44:3334-9. 2006..aureus was present, over time, in the throat of an individual at least to the same extent as in the anterior nares. Throat carriage was at least as persistent as carriage in the anterior nares...
- hTERT (-1327)T/C polymorphism is not associated with age-related telomere attrition in peripheral bloodKatarina Nordfjäll
Department of Medical Biosciences, Pathology, By 6M, 2nd Floor, Umea University, SE 90187 Umea, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 358:215-8. 2007..339). Moreover, no increased age-related attrition was observed for the (-1327)C/C genotype as previously indicated, rather a telomere elongation in the control group (p=0.021) not seen in the MI group (p=0.249)...
- Genome-wide association analysis identifies loci for type 2 diabetes and triglyceride levelsRicha Saxena
Broad Institute of Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Science 316:1331-6. 2007..The discovery of associated variants in unsuspected genes and outside coding regions illustrates the ability of genome-wide association studies to provide potentially important clues to the pathogenesis of common diseases...
- Comparative analysis of a 3' end tag PCR and a linear RNA amplification approach for microarray analysisCecilia Laurell
School of Biotechnology, Department of Gene Technology, KTH, Royal Institute of Technology, AlbaNova University Center, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
J Biotechnol 127:638-46. 2007..We used 100 ng total RNA as starting material for amplification and compared the results with data from hybridizations with unamplified mRNA and total RNA...
- Escherichia coli single-stranded DNA-binding protein, a molecular tool for improved sequence quality in pyrosequencingMaria Ehn
Department of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology KTH, Stockholm, Sweden
Electrophoresis 23:3289-99. 2002..Alternative strategies to improve the performance in pyrosequencing by increasing the primer-annealing efficiency have also been evaluated...
- Slow genetic divergence of Helicobacter pylori strains during long-term colonizationAnnelie Lundin
Department of Bacteriology, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, SE 171 82 Solna, Sweden
Infect Immun 73:4818-22. 2005..These results suggest that previous estimates of the rate of genetic change in H. pylori within an individual might be overestimates...
- Dual-genome primer design for construction of DNA microarraysAnders Andersson
Department of Biotechnology, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Bioinformatics 21:325-32. 2005..The high costs may force researchers to limit their studies to a single organism, although comparing gene expression in different species would yield valuable information...
- Microarray technology for identification and distinction of hantavirusesHenrik Nordström
Centre for Microbiological Preparedness, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Solna, Sweden
J Med Virol 72:646-55. 2004..Viral genetic material found in samples from the lungs of bank voles caught in the wild was identified precisely, which demonstrated further the potential for this technology...
- DNA copy-number analysis of the 22q11 deletion-syndrome region using array-CGH with genomic and PCR-based targetsKiran Kumar Mantripragada
Department of Genetics and Pathology, Rudbeck Laboratory, Uppsala University Hospital, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Mol Med 13:273-9. 2004..Thus, for regions rich in redundant sequences and repeats, such as 22q11, a specifically tailored array-CGH approach is good for gene copy number profiling...
- Microwave-assisted high-speed PCRChristian Fermer
CanAg Diagnostics AB, Majnabbe Terminal, SE 414 55, Gothenburg, Sweden
Eur J Pharm Sci 18:129-32. 2003..The results indicate the possibility to shorten the total reaction time. In addition, the technique may give the possibility to perform PCR reactions in millilitre scale...
- Genome wide gene amplifications and deletions in Plasmodium falciparumUlf Ribacke
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, SE 17182 Solna, Sweden
Mol Biochem Parasitol 155:33-44. 2007..Further analysis of the impact of discovered genetic differences and the underlying mechanisms is likely to generate a better understanding of the biology and the virulence of the malaria parasite...