- Predictors of and longitudinal changes in insulin sensitivity and secretion preceding onset of type 2 diabetesValeriya Lyssenko
Department of Endocrinology, Wallenberg Laboratory, University Hospital MAS, 20502 Malmo, Sweden
Diabetes 54:166-74. 2005..In conclusion, a marked deterioration in beta-cell function precedes the onset of type 2 diabetes. These individuals can be identified early by knowledge of FPG, BMI, and family history of diabetes...
- Mechanisms by which common variants in the TCF7L2 gene increase risk of type 2 diabetesValeriya Lyssenko
Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes and Endocrinology, and Lund University Diabetes Center, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
J Clin Invest 117:2155-63. 2007..In conclusion, the increased risk of T2D conferred by variants in TCF7L2 involves the enteroinsular axis, enhanced expression of the gene in islets, and impaired insulin secretion...
- Secreted frizzled-related protein 4 reduces insulin secretion and is overexpressed in type 2 diabetesTaman Mahdi
Lund University Diabetes Centre, Lund University, 20502 Malmo, Sweden
Cell Metab 16:625-33. 2012..Moreover, the protein was increased in serum from T2D patients several years before the diagnosis, suggesting that SFRP4 could be a potential biomarker for islet dysfunction in T2D...
- Common variants in maturity-onset diabetes of the young genes and future risk of type 2 diabetesJohan Holmkvist
Department of Clinical Sciences Diabetes and Endocrinology, CRC, Malmö University Hospital MAS, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Diabetes 57:1738-44. 2008....
- Genetic prediction of future type 2 diabetesValeriya Lyssenko
Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Lund University, University Hospital Malmo, Malmo, Sweden
PLoS Med 2:e345. 2005..A number of common variants have been associated with T2D but our knowledge of their ability to predict T2D prospectively is limited...
- Genes and type 2 diabetes mellitusLeif Groop
Department of Clinical Sciences Diabetes and Endocrinology, Lund University, University Hospital Malmoe, 20502, Malmoe, Sweden
Curr Diab Rep 8:192-7. 2008..In the future, the possibility of whole-genome DNA methylation studies may elucidate the extent of these epigenetic effects. This article reviews genes that have recently been determined to be associated with T2DM...
- The transcription factor 7-like 2 gene and increased risk of type 2 diabetes: an updateValeriya Lyssenko
Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Lund University, Malmoe, Sweden
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11:385-92. 2008..The purpose of this review is to provide a comprehensive evaluation of the most important type 2 diabetes gene to date, transcription factor 7 like-2...
- Variations in the G6PC2/ABCB11 genomic region are associated with fasting glucose levelsWei Min Chen
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Clin Invest 118:2620-8. 2008....
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide association data and large-scale replication identifies additional susceptibility loci for type 2 diabetesEleftheria Zeggini
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Nat Genet 40:638-45. 2008..1 x 10(-9)), ADAMTS9 (P = 1.2 x 10(-8)) and NOTCH2 (P = 4.1 x 10(-8)) gene regions. Our results illustrate the value of large discovery and follow-up samples for gaining further insights into the inherited basis of T2D...
- IL6 gene promoter polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes: joint analysis of individual participants' data from 21 studiesCornelia Huth
GSF Institute of Epidemiology, Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetes 55:2915-21. 2006....
- Common single nucleotide polymorphisms in TCF7L2 are reproducibly associated with type 2 diabetes and reduce the insulin response to glucose in nondiabetic individualsRicha Saxena
Program in Medical and Population Genetics, Broad Institute of Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MA, USA
Diabetes 55:2890-5. 2006..003) but not with increased insulin resistance. These results suggest that TCF7L2 variants may act through insulin secretion to increase the risk of type 2 diabetes...
- Variants in the FFAR1 gene are associated with beta cell functionMartins Kalis
Department of Clinical Sciences, Cellular Autoimmunity Unit, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
PLoS ONE 2:e1090. 2007..We therefore investigated whether variations at the FFAR1 locus are associated with T2D and beta cell function...
- Genome-wide association analysis identifies loci for type 2 diabetes and triglyceride levelsRicha Saxena
Broad Institute of Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Science 316:1331-6. 2007..The discovery of associated variants in unsuspected genes and outside coding regions illustrates the ability of genome-wide association studies to provide potentially important clues to the pathogenesis of common diseases...
- Genetic similarities between latent autoimmune diabetes in adults, type 1 diabetes, and type 2 diabetesCamilla Cervin
Department of Clinical Sciences Diabetes and Endocrinology, Clinical Research Center, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Diabetes 57:1433-7. 2008..One way to improve classification is to study whether LADA shares genetic features with type 1 and/or type 2 diabetes...