Affiliation: Lund University
- Lactobacillus plantarum 299v for the treatment of recurrent Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trialMarlene Wullt
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Malmo, Malmo, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 35:365-7. 2003..plantarum in patients with RCDAD, these results may contribute to the ongoing discussion about the benefits of probiotics in patients with RCDAD and encourage the performance of larger multicentre studies...
- Comparison of AP-PCR typing and PCR-ribotyping for estimation of nosocomial transmission of Clostridium difficileM Wullt
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Malmo, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Hosp Infect 55:124-30. 2003..We conclude, that of these two PCR-based options for typing of C. difficile PCR ribotyping offers a superior experimental robustness compared with AP-PCR typing...
- A double-blind randomized controlled trial of fusidic acid and metronidazole for treatment of an initial episode of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoeaMarlene Wullt
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:211-6. 2004..Few treatment options are currently available to treat patients suffering from an initial episode of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea (CDAD)...
- Frequent emergence of resistance in Clostridium difficile during treatment of C. difficile-associated diarrhea with fusidic acidT Noren
Department of Infectious Diseases, Orebro University Hospital, S 701 85 Orebro, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3028-32. 2006..Development of resistance in C. difficile was frequent in patients given fusidic acid, but it was without apparent negative impact on therapeutic efficacy in the actual CDAD episode...
- Mutations in fusA associated with posttherapy fusidic acid resistance in Clostridium difficileT Noren
Department of Infectious Diseases, Orebro University Hospital, SE 701 85 Orebro, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:1840-3. 2007..Five of these mutations have previously been described in fusA of fusidic acid-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, but seven were novel fusA mutations. Fusidic acid monotherapy for CDAD seemed to rapidly select conserved resistant mutants...
- IgG antibody response to toxins A and B in patients with Clostridium difficile infectionM Wullt
Infectious Diseases Research Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Clin Vaccine Immunol 19:1552-4. 2012..The results imply that the general serum reactivity against toxins A and B in the population reduces the risk of CDI, which suggests implications for vaccine strategies...
- Lactobacillus plantarum 299v reduces colonisation of Clostridium difficile in critically ill patients treated with antibioticsB Klarin
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 52:1096-102. 2008..We investigated intensive care unit (ICU) patients with respect to the impact of Lp299v on C. difficile colonisation and on gut permeability and parameters of inflammation and infection in that context...
- A head-to-head comparison of hydrogen peroxide vapor and aerosol room decontamination systemsT Holmdahl
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 32:831-6. 2011..There are several hydrogen peroxide-based area decontamination technologies on the market, but no head-to-head studies have been performed...
- Pharmacodynamic studies of vancomycin, metronidazole and fusidic acid against Clostridium difficileInga Odenholt
Infectious Diseases Research Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo, Sweden
Chemotherapy 53:267-74. 2007..Pharmacodynamic studies of antibiotics have attracted great interest in recent years. However, studies on the pharmacodynamics of different antibiotics against Clostridium difficile are scarce...
- Increased sporulation rate of epidemic Clostridium difficile Type 027/NAP1Thomas Akerlund
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Department of Bacteriology, SE 171 82, Solna, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 46:1530-3. 2008..Type 027 produced 3- to 13-fold more toxin than did major Swedish types. One epidemic strain (027/NAP1a) sporulated more than did other type 027 isolates, a feature that should contribute to its survival and spread...
- Lactobacillus plantarum 299v enhances the concentrations of fecal short-chain fatty acids in patients with recurrent clostridium difficile-associated diarrheaMarlene Wullt
Infectious Diseases Research Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, 20502 Malmo, Sweden
Dig Dis Sci 52:2082-6. 2007..The intake of this probiotic strain may thereby provide an additional benefit for patients with recurrent Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea...
- Activity of three disinfectants and acidified nitrite against Clostridium difficile sporesMarlene Wullt
Department of Infectious Diseases, Lund University, , Malm, Sweden
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 24:765-8. 2003..As acidified nitrite and peracetyl ions are considered to be environmentally safe chemicals, these agents seem well suited for the disinfection of C. difficile spores in the hospital environment...