Affiliation: Lund University
- Alterations in cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase activities in omental and subcutaneous adipose tissues in human obesityB Omar
Department of Experimental Medical Sciences, Division of Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Nutr Diabetes 1:e13. 2011..Conclusions: Multiple PDE families are present in human adipose tissue and their activities are differentially affected by obesity and T2D...
- Enhanced beta cell function and anti-inflammatory effect after chronic treatment with the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor vildagliptin in an advanced-aged diet-induced obesity mouse modelB A Omar
Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Diabetologia 56:1752-60. 2013..To explore the long-term effects of DPP4 inhibition on insulin secretion and beta cell mass, we have generated a high-fat diet (HFD)-induced-obesity model in mice of advanced age (10 months old)...
- Regulation of AMP-activated protein kinase by cAMP in adipocytes: roles for phosphodiesterases, protein kinase B, protein kinase A, Epac and lipolysisBilal Omar
Lund University, Biomedical Center, C11 Department of Experimental Medical Science, 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Cell Signal 21:760-6. 2009..Taken together, these data suggest that PDE3B and PDE4 regulate cAMP pools that affect the activation/phosphorylation state of AMPK and that the effects of cyclic AMP on AMPK involve Epac1, PKA and lipolysis...
- Differential development of glucose intolerance and pancreatic islet adaptation in multiple diet induced obesity modelsBilal Omar
Department of Clinical Sciences, Medicine, Lund University, SE221 84, Lund, Sweden
Nutrients 4:1367-81. 2012..Different high fat diets are used and in order to determine which diet produces a model most accurately resembling human T2D, they need to be compared head-to-head...
- From PDE3B to the regulation of energy homeostasisEva Degerman
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Division for Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Curr Opin Pharmacol 11:676-82. 2011..This article highlights the complexity involved in the regulation of PDE3B by hormones, and in the regulation of downstream metabolic effects by PDE3B in several interacting tissues...
- Regulation of the pro-inflammatory cytokine osteopontin by GIP in adipocytes--a role for the transcription factor NFAT and phosphodiesterase 3BBilal Omar
Department of Experimental Medical Sciences, Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Biomedical Center, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 425:812-7. 2012..Given the established link between osteopontin and insulin resistance, our data suggest that GIP by stimulating osteopontin expression, also could promote insulin resistance in adipocytes...
- Protein kinase B activity is required for the effects of insulin on lipid metabolism in adipocytesChristine Berggreen
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, BMC, C11, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E635-46. 2009..In summary, we propose that PKB is required for the positive effects of insulin on lipid storage and that regulation of PDE3B and AMPK by PKB is important for these effects...
- Link between GIP and osteopontin in adipose tissue and insulin resistanceEmma Ahlqvist
Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes, and Endocrinology, University Hospital Malmo, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Diabetes 62:2088-94. 2013..Carriers of the GIPR rs10423928 A allele showed protective properties via reduced GIP effects. Identification of this unprecedented link between GIP and OPN in adipose tissue might open new avenues for therapeutic interventions...
- Pleiotropic Mechanisms for the Glucose-Lowering Action of DPP-4 InhibitorsBilal Omar
Department of Clinical Sciences Lund, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Diabetes 63:2196-202. 2014..These pleiotropic effects may contribute to the effects of DPP-4 inhibition. This Perspectives in Diabetes outlines and discusses these nonclassical mechanisms of DPP-4 inhibition. ..