Affiliation: Lund University
- Ling C, Poulsen P, Simonsson S, Rönn T, Holmkvist J, Almgren P, et al. Genetic and epigenetic factors are associated with expression of respiratory chain component NDUFB6 in human skeletal muscle. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3427-35 pubmed
- Ling C, Del Guerra S, Lupi R, Rönn T, Granhall C, Luthman H, et al. Epigenetic regulation of PPARGC1A in human type 2 diabetic islets and effect on insulin secretion. Diabetologia. 2008;51:615-22 pubmed publisher..04). We have shown for the first time that PPARGC1A might be important in human islet insulin secretion and that expression of PPARGC1A in human islets can be regulated by both genetic and epigenetic factors. ..
- Ling C, Groop L, Guerra S, Lupi R. Calpain-10 expression is elevated in pancreatic islets from patients with type 2 diabetes. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6558 pubmed publisher..04) in non-diabetic donors. While calpain-10 expression correlates with insulin release in non-diabetic human islets, this correlation is lost in T2D suggesting that a stimulatory effect of calpain-10 could be lost in patients with T2D. ..
- Hall E, Volkov P, Dayeh T, Bacos K, Rönn T, Nitert M, et al. Effects of palmitate on genome-wide mRNA expression and DNA methylation patterns in human pancreatic islets. BMC Med. 2014;12:103 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that palmitate treatment of human pancreatic islets gives rise to epigenetic modifications that together with altered gene expression may contribute to impaired insulin secretion and T2D. ..
- Daneshpajooh M, Bacos K, Bysani M, Bagge A, Ottosson Laakso E, Vikman P, et al. HDAC7 is overexpressed in human diabetic islets and impairs insulin secretion in rat islets and clonal beta cells. Diabetologia. 2017;60:116-125 pubmed..Our study supports HDAC7 inhibitors as a therapeutic option for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Perfilyev A, Dahlman I, Gillberg L, Rosqvist F, Iggman D, Volkov P, et al. Impact of polyunsaturated and saturated fat overfeeding on the DNA-methylation pattern in human adipose tissue: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:991-1000 pubmed publisher..In addition, we present data that suggest that baseline DNA methylation can predict weight increase in response to overfeeding in humans. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01427140. ..
- Hall E, Dekker Nitert M, Volkov P, Malmgren S, Mulder H, Bacos K, et al. The effects of high glucose exposure on global gene expression and DNA methylation in human pancreatic islets. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2018;472:57-67 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that high glucose levels affect human pancreatic islet gene expression and several of these genes also exhibit epigenetic changes. This might contribute to the impaired insulin secretion seen in T2D. ..