Genomes and Genes
Juleen R Zierath
Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- Kirchner H, Sinha I, Gao H, Ruby M, Schönke M, Lindvall J, et al. Altered DNA methylation of glycolytic and lipogenic genes in liver from obese and type 2 diabetic patients. Mol Metab. 2016;5:171-183 pubmed publisher..Obesity appears to shift the epigenetic program of the liver towards increased glycolysis and lipogenesis, which may exacerbate the development of insulin resistance. ..
- Schönke M, Massart J, Zierath J. Effects of high-fat diet and AMP-activated protein kinase modulation on the regulation of whole-body lipid metabolism. J Lipid Res. 2018;59:1276-1282 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this technique allows for the assessment of the effect of pharmaceutical agents, as well as gene mutations, on whole-body FA oxidation in mice. ..
- Zierath J. Building Bridges through Scientific Conferences. Cell. 2016;167:1155-1158 pubmed publisher..How conferences are serving the community, what their current challenges are, and what is in store for the future of conferences are the topics covered in this Commentary. ..
- Boon H, SjÃ¶gren R, Massart J, Egan B, Kostovski E, Iversen P, et al. MicroRNA-208b progressively declines after spinal cord injury in humans and is inversely related to myostatin expression. Physiol Rep. 2015;3: pubmed publisher..Our results implicate that microRNA-208b modulates myostatin expression and this may play a role in the regulation of skeletal muscle mass following spinal cord injury. ..
- Mudry J, Lassiter D, Nylén C, García Calzón S, Naslund E, Krook A, et al. Insulin and Glucose Alter Death-Associated Protein Kinase 3 (DAPK3) DNA Methylation in Human Skeletal Muscle. Diabetes. 2017;66:651-662 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, insulin and glucose modulate DAPK3 DNA methylation in a reciprocal manner, suggesting a feedback loop in the control of the epigenome. ..
- Ruby M, Massart J, Hunerdosse D, Schönke M, Correia J, Louie S, et al. Human Carboxylesterase 2 Reverses Obesity-Induced Diacylglycerol Accumulation and Glucose Intolerance. Cell Rep. 2017;18:636-646 pubmed publisher..Thus, decreased CES2 is a conserved feature of obesity and plays a causative role in the pathogenesis of obesity-related metabolic disturbances. ..
- Gabriel B, Zierath J. The Limits of Exercise Physiology: From Performance to Health. Cell Metab. 2017;25:1000-1011 pubmed publisher..In this perspective, we review some of theÂ historical milestones of exercise physiology, discuss how these inform contemporary knowledge, and speculate on future questions. ..
- Ruby M, Riedl I, Massart J, Åhlin M, Zierath J. Protein kinase N2 regulates AMP kinase signaling and insulin responsiveness of glucose metabolism in skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2017;313:E483-E491 pubmed publisher..Identification of PKN2 as a novel regulator of insulin and AMPK signaling may provide an avenue for manipulation of skeletal muscle metabolism. ..
- Benziane B, Borg M, Tom R, Riedl I, Massart J, Björnholm M, et al. DGKζ deficiency protects against peripheral insulin resistance and improves energy metabolism. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:2324-2333 pubmed publisher..DGKζ plays a role in the control of growth and metabolic processes, further highlighting specialized functions of DGK isoforms in type 2 diabetes pathophysiology. ..
- Nascimento E, Mannerås Holm L, Chibalin A, Björnholm M, Zierath J. Diacylglycerol kinase α deficiency alters inflammation markers in adipose tissue in response to a high-fat diet. J Lipid Res. 2018;59:273-282 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest DGKα aids in modulating the early immune response of adipose tissue following an acute exposure to HFD, possibly through modulation of acute T-cell action. ..
- Cartee G, Hepple R, Bamman M, Zierath J. Exercise Promotes Healthy Aging of Skeletal Muscle. Cell Metab. 2016;23:1034-1047 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on mechanisms by which exercise promotes "healthy aging" by inducing modifications in skeletal muscle. ..
- Riedl I, Osler M, BjÃ¶rnholm M, Egan B, Nader G, Chibalin A, et al. AMPKÎ³3 is dispensable for skeletal muscle hypertrophy induced by functional overload. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2016;310:E461-72 pubmed publisher..Mechanical loading can override signaling pathways that act as negative effectors of mTOR signaling and consequently promote skeletal muscle hypertrophy. ..
- Jiang L, de Castro Barbosa T, Massart J, Deshmukh A, LÃ¶fgren L, Duque Guimarães D, et al. Diacylglycerol kinase-Î´ regulates AMPK signaling, lipid metabolism, and skeletal muscle energetics. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2016;310:E51-60 pubmed publisher..DGKÎ´ deficiency also influences skeletal muscle energetics, which may lead to low physical activity levels in type 2 diabetes. ..
- Mannerås Holm L, Schönke M, Brozinick J, Vetterli L, Bui H, Sanders P, et al. Diacylglycerol kinase ε deficiency preserves glucose tolerance and modulates lipid metabolism in obese mice. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:907-915 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, DGKε plays a role in glucose and energy homeostasis by modulating lipid metabolism in skeletal muscle. ..
- Lassiter D, Nylén C, Sjögren R, Chibalin A, Wallberg Henriksson H, Naslund E, et al. FAK tyrosine phosphorylation is regulated by AMPK and controls metabolism in human skeletal muscle. Diabetologia. 2018;61:424-432 pubmed publisher..Further exploration of the interaction between AMPK and FAK may lead to novel therapeutic strategies for diabetes and other chronic conditions associated with an altered metabolic homeostasis. ..