Eva von Strauss
Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- Aging and the occurrence of dementia: findings from a population-based cohort with a large sample of nonagenariansE von Strauss
Stockholm Gerontology Research Center, Division of Geriatric Medicine, Neurotec, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Neurol 56:587-92. 1999..This question is relevant both for understanding the pathogenetic mechanism of the dementias and for the public health prospective because of the increasing number of 85-year-old or older persons in our population...
- Women are more disabled in basic activities of daily living than men only in very advanced ages: a study on disability, morbidity, and mortality from the Kungsholmen ProjectEva von Strauss
Aging Research Center, Division of Geriatric Epidemiology and Medicine, Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Epidemiol 56:669-77. 2003..We explored the effect of morbidity, mortality, and occurrence of new disability on gender differences in activities of daily living (ADL) functioning in different age groups in the elderly population...
- Morbidity and physical functioning in old age: differences according to living areaBritt Marie Sjölund
Aging Research Center, Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:1855-62. 2010..To describe differences in morbidity and functional status according to living area...
- Prevention of Alzheimer's disease and dementia. Major findings from the Kungsholmen ProjectLaura Fratiglioni
Karolinska Institutet, Aging Research Center, Division of Geriatric Epidemiology, NVS, and Stockholm Gerontology Research Center, Gavlegatan 16, S 113 30 Stockholm, Sweden
Physiol Behav 92:98-104. 2007..At the moment it is also possible to delineate some preventative strategies for dementia...
- Time use and costs of institutionalised elderly persons with or without dementia: results from the Nordanstig cohort in the Kungsholmen Project--a population based study in SwedenGunilla Nordberg
Aging Research Center ARC, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:639-48. 2007..The aging of the population has become a worldwide phenomenon. This leads to increased demand for services and with limited resources it is important to find a way to estimate how resources can be match to those with greatest need...
- APOE genotype, family history of dementia, and Alzheimer disease risk: a 6-year follow-up studyWenyong Huang
Aging Research Center, Division of Geriatric Epidemiology and Medicine, Department of Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm Gerontology Research Center, corrected Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Neurol 61:1930-4. 2004..Both family aggregation and apolipoprotein E (APOE) epsilon4 allele are well-known risk factors for dementia, but the relation between these two factors remains unclear...
- Twenty-year changes in dementia occurrence suggest decreasing incidence in central Stockholm, SwedenChengxuan Qiu
Aging Research Center, Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society NVS, Karolinska Institutet Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
Neurology 80:1888-94. 2013..To explore whether prevalence, survival, and incidence of dementia have changed from 1987-1994 to 2001-2008 in Stockholm, Sweden...
- Epidemiology of Alzheimer's disease: occurrence, determinants, and strategies toward interventionChengxuan Qiu
Aging Research Center, Karolinska Institutet Stockholm, Sweden
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 11:111-28. 2009....
- The magnitude of dementia occurrence in the worldAnders Wimo
Aging Research Center, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 17:63-7. 2003..In conclusion, the majority of demented elders live in less developed regions, and this proportion will increase considerably in the future...
- Decline in blood pressure over time and risk of dementia: a longitudinal study from the Kungsholmen projectChengxuan Qiu
Aging Research Center, Division of Geriatric Epidemiology and Medicine, Department of Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Stroke 35:1810-5. 2004..Low blood pressure has been related to an increased risk of dementia. We sought to verify blood pressure variations before and after a dementia diagnosis and to relate blood pressure decline to subsequent Alzheimer disease and dementia...
- Rethinking the dementia diagnoses in a population-based study: what is Alzheimer's disease and what is vascular dementia?. A study from the kungsholmen projectHedda Aguero-Torres
Aging Research Center ARC, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 22:244-9. 2006..To explore the hypothesis that older adults often are affected by more than one disease, making the differential diagnosis between Alzheimer's disease (AD) and vascular dementia (VaD) difficult...
- Low blood pressure and risk of dementia in the Kungsholmen project: a 6-year follow-up studyChengxuan Qiu
Aging Research Center, Department of Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Neurol 60:223-8. 2003..Previous studies have reported a higher prevalence of dementia in persons with low blood pressure...
- Lifetime principal occupation and risk of Alzheimer's disease in the Kungsholmen projectChengxuan Qiu
Aging Research Center, Division of Geriatric Epidemiology and Medicine, Department of Neurotec, Karolinska Institute and the Stockholm Gerontology Research Center, Sweden
Am J Ind Med 43:204-11. 2003..Some studies suggest that manual work is associated with dementia. This study is aimed at identifying the specific occupational categories that may be related to dementia...
- Time spent on informal and formal care giving for persons with dementia in SwedenAnders Wimo
HC Bergsjö, Box 16, S 820 70 Bergsjö, Sweden
Health Policy 61:255-68. 2002..Some carers do carry a very heavy 24 h responsibility. This aspect of caring must be addressed by the development of well-targeted respite and relief support programmes...
- Cognitive impairment is the major risk factor for development of geriatric syndromes during hospitalization: results from the GIFA studyPatrizia Mecocci
Institute of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Perugia, Policlinico Monteluce Padiglione E, Via Brunamonti 51, IT 06122 Perugia, Italy
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 20:262-9. 2005..To detect the main factors associated with the occurrence of specific geriatric syndromes (namely pressure sores, fecal incontinence, urinary incontinence and falls) in elderly patients during hospitalization...
- Dental caries in persons over the age of 80 living in Kungsholmen, Sweden: findings from the KEOHS projectDouglas E Morse
New York University College of Dentistry, Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, New York 10010, USA
Community Dent Health 19:262-7. 2002..This paper reports findings regarding the prevalence and severity of dental caries among the dentate participants...
- Prosthetic crowns and other clinical risk indicators of caries among old-old Swedish adults: findings from the KEOHS Project. Kungsholmen Elders Oral Health StudyDouglas E Morse
New York University College of Dentistry, Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, New York, NY 10010, USA
Gerodontology 19:73-9. 2002..This paper explored possible clinical risk indicators of coronal and root caries among the KEOHS subjects...