Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- Adverse clinical events and mortality during hospitalization and 3 months after discharge in cognitively impaired elderly patientsAlessandra Marengoni
Geriatric Unit, Spedali Civili, Department of Medical and Surgery Sciences, University of Brescia, Italy
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 68:419-25. 2013..Controversial findings are reported on hospital outcome in cognitively impaired patients. The aim of this study was to explore mortality risk according to cognitive status during hospitalization and after 3 months in elderly patients...
- The impact of chronic multimorbidity and disability on functional decline and survival in elderly persons. A community-based, longitudinal studyA Marengoni
NVS Department, Aging Research Center, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Intern Med 265:288-95. 2009..We aimed to disentangle the effect of chronic multimorbidity and disability on 3-year functional decline and survival in the elderly...
- Patterns of chronic multimorbidity in the elderly populationAlessandra Marengoni
Aging Research Center, Department of Neurobiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Am Geriatr Soc 57:225-30. 2009..To describe patterns of comorbidity and multimorbidity in elderly people...
- Socioeconomic status during lifetime and cognitive impairment no-dementia in late life: the population-based aging in the Chianti Area (InCHIANTI) StudyAlessandra Marengoni
Department of Medical and Surgery Sciences, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
J Alzheimers Dis 24:559-68. 2011..2 to 10.4 among those with low education). Proxy markers of lifetime SES (low education, manual occupation and high physical demand) are cross-sectional correlates of CIND and predict incident CIND over a three-year follow-up...
- Total lymphocyte count and in-hospital mortality in older persons with multimorbidityAlessandra Marengoni
Geriatric Unit, Internal Medicine I, Civili Hospital, Department of Medical and Surgery Sciences, University of Brescia, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Aging Clin Exp Res 20:290-6. 2008..The aims of this study were to verify if a low TLC was associated with in-hospital mortality in older persons and to evaluate whether this association was independent of the presence of multiple co-existing diseases (multimorbidity)...
- Prevalence of chronic diseases and multimorbidity among the elderly population in SwedenAlessandra Marengoni
Aging Research Center, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Public Health 98:1198-200. 2008..Multimorbidity is the most common clinical picture of the elderly and may be increased by unhealthy behaviors linked to education...
- Atrial fibrillation, stroke and dementia in the very old: a population-based studyAlessandra Marengoni
Aging Research Center, NVS Department, Karolinska Institutet, Gavlegatan 16, Stockholm, Sweden
Neurobiol Aging 32:1336-7. 2011..3, 52.2, and 52.2 in persons with AF and 63.8, 54.6 and 30.6 in those without AF, respectively. AF was associated with the hazard ratio of 1.8 (95%CI, 1.0-3.4) for first-ever stroke, but not significantly associated with dementia or AD...
- Poor mental and physical health differentially contributes to disability in hospitalized geriatric patients of different agesAlessandra Marengoni
Division of Internal Medicine I Geriatric Unit, Spedali Civili OP Richiedei, Department of Medical and Surgery Sciences, University of Brescia, Italy
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:27-34. 2004..To evaluate the relationship between depressive symptoms, cognition and somatic diseases on functional status of geriatric patients at hospital discharge...
- Rehabilitation and nursing home admission after hospitalization in acute geriatric patientsAlessandra Marengoni
Aging Research Center, NVS Department, Karolinska Institutet, and Stockholm Gerontology Research Center, Stockholm, Sweden
J Am Med Dir Assoc 9:265-70. 2008..This study explored the effect of multimorbidity, cognitive and physical impairment, and sociodemographic factors on the choice of allocation of geriatric patients at hospital discharge...
- Homocysteine and disability in hospitalized geriatric patientsAlessandra Marengoni
Division of Internal Medicine I, Spedali Civili, Brescia Richiedel Foundation, Gussago, Italy
Metabolism 53:1016-20. 2004..Our results suggest that the prevalence of HHcy in hospitalized patients is very high, even in subjects with normal cobalamin and folate concentrations. High Hcy concentration can be associated with functional impairment...
- Relationship of subjective cognitive impairment and cognitive impairment no dementia to chronic disease and multimorbidity in a nation-wide twin studyBarbara Caracciolo
Aging Research Center, Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
J Alzheimers Dis 36:275-84. 2013..The association is stronger when diseases co-occur, especially for SCI. Genetic and early-life environmental factors may partially explain the association of CIND but not that of SCI with chronic diseases...
- Heart failure and risk of dementia and Alzheimer disease: a population-based cohort studyChengxuan Qiu
Aging Research Center, Division of Geriatric Epidemiology and Medicine, Department of Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm Gerontology Research Center, Olivecronas vag 4, S 113 82 Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Intern Med 166:1003-8. 2006..We sought to examine the hypothesis that heart failure is a risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer disease...
- Prevention of inappropriate prescribing in hospitalized older patients using a computerized prescription support system (INTERcheck(®))Simona Ghibelli
Geriatric Unit, Spedali Civili, Department of Clinical and Experimental Sciences, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Drugs Aging 30:821-8. 2013..INTERcheck(®) is a Computerized Prescription Support System (CPSS) developed in order to optimize drug prescription for elderly people with multimorbidity...
- Aging with multimorbidity: a systematic review of the literatureAlessandra Marengoni
Aging Research Center, NVS Department, Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University, Sweden
Ageing Res Rev 10:430-9. 2011..New insights in this field can lead to the identification of preventive strategies and better treatment of multimorbid patients...
- Adverse outcomes in older hospitalized patients: the role of multidimensional geriatric assessmentAlessandra Marengoni
Division of Internal Medicine I, Spedali Civili, Department of Medical and Surgery Sciences, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Aging Clin Exp Res 15:32-7. 2003....
- Antipsychotics prescription and cerebrovascular events in Italian older personsCarlotta Franchi
Laboratory for Quality Assessment of Geriatric Therapies and Services, IRCCS Istituto di Riceerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milan, Italy
J Clin Psychopharmacol 33:542-5. 2013..92). In conclusion, only typical antipsychotics were associated with an increased odd of CVEs, but the association was duration dependent. Persons prescribed simultaneously with AChEI and antipsychotics may be at a lower risk of CVEs. ..
- Cognitive performance is impaired in coeliac patients on gluten free diet: a case-control study in patients older than 65 years of ageSilvia Casella
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Medicine, University and Spedali Civili, Brescia, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 44:729-35. 2012..Retrospective studies and case reports suggest an association between coeliac disease and impaired cognitive function...
- Hospital admissions for acute onset of behavioral symptoms in demented patients: what do they want to say?Alessandra Marengoni
Int Psychogeriatr 16:491-3. 2004
- Hyperhomocysteinemia in old age: is this a considerable finding?Alessandra Marengoni
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1750-1. 2002