Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- Development of a superior frontal-intraparietal network for visuo-spatial working memoryTorkel Klingberg
Paediatric Neurology, Karolinska Institute, Astrid Lindgren s Children s Hospital Q2 07, Stockholm, Sweden
Neuropsychologia 44:2171-7. 2006..These networks not only consist of cortical areas but also the white matter tracts connecting them. For visuo-spatial working memory, this network could consist of the superior frontal and intraparietal cortex...
- Computerized training of working memory in children with ADHD--a randomized, controlled trialTorkel Klingberg
Unit of Neuropediatrics, Department Women and Children s Health, Karolinska Institute, 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 44:177-86. 2005..During 2002 to 2003, the authors conducted a multicenter, randomized, controlled, double-blind trial to investigate the effect of improving WM by computerized, systematic practice of WM tasks...
- Visuo-spatial working memory span: a sensitive measure of cognitive deficits in children with ADHDHelena Westerberg
Department of Neuropediatrics, Karolinska Institute, Astrid Lindgrens Barnsjukhus Q2 07, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Child Neuropsychol 10:155-61. 2004..01). Our results show that the VSWM test is a sensitive measure of cognitive deficits in ADHD and it supports the hypothesis that deficits in VSWM is a major component of ADHD...
- Maturation of white matter is associated with the development of cognitive functions during childhoodZoltan Nagy
Karolinska Institute, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Cogn Neurosci 16:1227-33. 2004....
- Training and plasticity of working memoryTorkel Klingberg
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Retzius vag 8, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Trends Cogn Sci 14:317-24. 2010..The observed training effects suggest that WM training could be used as a remediating intervention for individuals for whom low WM capacity is a limiting factor for academic performance or in everyday life...
- Training of working memory in children with ADHDTorkel Klingberg
Department of Neuropediatrics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 24:781-91. 2002..The results thus suggest that WM training potentially could be of clinical use for ameliorating the symptoms in ADHD...
- Increased prefrontal and parietal activity after training of working memoryPernille J Olesen
Karolinska Institute, Department of Neuropediatrics, Astrid Lindgren s Children s Hospital Q2 07, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Nat Neurosci 7:75-9. 2004..The changes in cortical activity could be evidence of training-induced plasticity in the neural systems that underlie working memory...
- Combined analysis of DTI and fMRI data reveals a joint maturation of white and grey matter in a fronto-parietal networkPernille J Olesen
Department of Neuropediatrics, Q2 07, Astrid Lindgren s Children s Hospital, Karolinska Institute, S 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 18:48-57. 2003....
- Preterm children have disturbances of white matter at 11 years of age as shown by diffusion tensor imagingZoltan Nagy
Neonatal Unit, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Pediatr Res 54:672-9. 2003....
- Diffusion tensor imaging on teenagers, born at term with moderate hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathyZoltan Nagy
Department of Woman and Child Health, Neonatal Unit, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital Q2 07, Stockholm, Sweden
Pediatr Res 58:936-40. 2005..These results indicate that even in the absence of such major neurologic impairments as cerebral palsy, moderate HIE causes long term white matter disturbances which are not repaired by adolescence...
- Increased brain activity in frontal and parietal cortex underlies the development of visuospatial working memory capacity during childhoodTorkel Klingberg
Department of Neuropediatrics, Astrid Lindgrens Children s Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Cogn Neurosci 14:1-10. 2002..These frontal and parietal areas are known to be involved in the control of attention and spatial WM. The development of the functionality in these areas may play an important role in cognitive development during childhood...
- Brain activity related to working memory and distraction in children and adultsPernille J Olesen
Neuropediatric Research Unit, Department of Women and Child Health, Astrid Lindgren s Children s Hospital Q2 07, Karolinska Institutet, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Cereb Cortex 17:1047-54. 2007..However, distraction activated frontal cortex only in children. The larger frontal activation in response to distracters presented during the delay may explain why children are more susceptible to interfering stimuli...
- Changes in cortical activity after training of working memory--a single-subject analysisHelena Westerberg
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Neuropediatrics, Stockholm, Sweden
Physiol Behav 92:186-92. 2007....
- Fronto-parietal connection asymmetry regulates working memory distractibilityFredrik Edin
School of Computer Science and Communication, Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan, SE 100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
J Integr Neurosci 6:567-96. 2007..Our results therefore suggest that the previously demonstrated improvement of vsWM performance during development could be due to a shift in the control of the effective balance between the SFS-IPS networks...
- Stronger synaptic connectivity as a mechanism behind development of working memory-related brain activity during childhoodFredrik Edin
Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Cogn Neurosci 19:750-60. 2007....
- Neuronal firing rates account for distractor effects on mnemonic accuracy in a visuo-spatial working memory taskJulian Macoveanu
Computational Biology, Department of Physics, Linköping University of Technology, 581 83 Linkoping, Sweden
Biol Cybern 96:407-19. 2007....
- Prefrontal cortex and basal ganglia control access to working memoryFiona McNab
Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, Stockholm Brain Institute, Karolinska Institutet, MR Centrum, Stockholm, Sweden
Nat Neurosci 11:103-7. 2008....
- Phonological working memory with auditory presentation of pseudo-words -- an event related fMRI StudyFredrik Strand
Neuropediatric Unit, Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Brain Res 1212:48-54. 2008..Significant activation of the auditory cortex in the middle temporal gyrus was observed during the maintenance phase, which, together with the inferior frontal gyrus activation might underly the maintenance of phonological information...
- Common and unique components of inhibition and working memory: an fMRI, within-subjects investigationFiona McNab
Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Group, Stockholm Brain Institute, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
Neuropsychologia 46:2668-82. 2008..These results support the notion that inhibitory and working memory tasks involve common neural components, which may provide a neural basis for the interrelationship between the two systems...