Affiliation: Karolinska University Hospital
- Comparison of PCR-RFLP with allele-specific PCR in genetic testing for spinal muscular atrophyRuliang Xu
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, and Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Genet Test 7:277-81. 2003..Our data indicate that PCR-RFLP can be used for most diagnostic purposes, whereas the use of allelespecific PCR may be considered with caution under certain circumstances...
- Evaluation of species-specific PCR, Bruker MS, VITEK MS and the VITEK 2 system for the identification of clinical Enterococcus isolatesH Fang
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:3073-7. 2012..MALDI-TOF MS is a rapid, reliable and cost-effective identification technique for enterococci. The VITEK 2 system is less efficient at detecting non-faecalis and non-faecium Enterococcus species...
- Screening for vancomycin-resistant enterococci: an efficient and economical laboratory-developed testH Fang
Division of Clinical Microbiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Karolinska Institute, 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:261-5. 2012..Therefore, the laboratory-developed broth-PCR method is an efficient and economical assay for VRE screening...
- Molecular epidemiology of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases among Escherichia coli isolates collected in a Swedish hospital and its associated health care facilities from 2001 to 2006Hong Fang
Department of Clinical Microbiology, F68, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 46:707-12. 2008..The study also indicated that both clonal spread of epidemic strains and transfer of transposable genetic elements might contribute to the proliferation of ESBLs...
- Molecular epidemiological analysis of Escherichia coli isolates producing extended-spectrum beta-lactamases for identification of nosocomial outbreaks in Stockholm, SwedenHong Fang
Laboratory of Clinical Bacteriology, Department of Clinical Bacteriology, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 42:5917-20. 2004..The isolates were grouped into two clones, one of which had already circulated in the same area before the outbreak. CTX-M-type ESBLs and coresistance to ciprofloxacin were identified in the strains...
- Use of cefoxitin-based selective broth for improved detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusHong Fang
Laboratory of Clinical Bacteriology, F82, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm SE 141 86, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 44:592-4. 2006..The cefoxitin-based broth was proved to be more sensitive and rapid for the detection of MRSA strains, especially heterogeneously resistant strains, than the oxacillin-based broth...
- Genetic diversity of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in southern Stockholm, 2000-2005H Fang
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:370-6. 2008..Strain ST80-MRSA-IV carrying PVL genes predominated over the 6-year period and accounted for 38% of all isolates. However, a polyclonal tendency was observed among the CA-MRSA isolates recovered in recent years...
- Rapid screening and identification of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from clinical samples by selective-broth and real-time PCR assayHong Fang
Department of Clinical Bacteriology, Huddinge University Hospital, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 41:2894-9. 2003..aureus were also tested by this method, which was proved to be a valuable tool for MRSA identification in a routine microbiological laboratory...
- Screening for vancomycin-resistant enterococci: results of a survey in StockholmHong Fang
Division of Clinical Microbiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
APMIS 118:413-7. 2010..PFGE type 1 and PFGE type 2 were predominant clones in vanB and vanA strains, respectively, represented by 98.3% (59/60) of patients with vanB VRE and 77.4% (24/31) of patients with vanA VRE...
- Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Southern Stockholm, 2000-2003Göran Hedin
Department of Clinical Microbiology, F82, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Microb Drug Resist 13:241-50. 2007..In contrast to the clones transmitted in hospitals, most community-acquired MRSA clones harbored the PVL genes, except for isolates belonging to ST 150 spread in the community among homeless people with foot ulcers and wounds...
- Prevalence of qnr determinants among extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-positive Enterobacteriaceae clinical isolates in southern Stockholm, SwedenHong Fang
Division of Clinical Microbiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Karolinska Institutet, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Antimicrob Agents 34:268-70. 2009..Their high-level resistance is associated with multiple chromosomal substitutions in gyrA and parC. Alterations at codons Ser-83 and Asp-87 in GyrA and at codons Ser-80 and Glu-84 in ParC were observed in these isolates...
- Selection of cefoxitin-resistant bacteroides thetaiotaomicron mutants and mechanisms involved in beta-lactam resistanceHong Fang
Department of Microbiology, Pathology, and Immunology, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge University Hospital, and Södertörns högskola University College, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Infect Dis 35:S47-53. 2002..thetaiotaomicron with deficiency in both PBPs and OMPs can be selected for by exposure to cefoxitin, and several mechanisms are involved in the beta-lactam resistance in the strains investigated...
- Comparison of a commercial multiplex real-time PCR to the cell cytotoxicity neutralization assay for diagnosis of clostridium difficile infectionsHaihui Huang
Division of Clinical Microbiology, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 47:3729-31. 2009..1% and 93.0% for fresh stools, using the cell cytotoxicity neutralization assay as the reference. Using PCR ribotyping as the reference for ribotype 027 strains, the corresponding figures were 100% and 98.1%, respectively...
- Evaluation of two new chromogenic media, CHROMagar MRSA and S. aureus ID, for identifying Staphylococcus aureus and screening methicillin-resistant S. aureusGöran Hedin
Department of Clinical Bacteriology, F82, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 43:4242-4. 2005..aureus on CHROMagar MRSA and S. aureus ID media. Growth inhibition on CHROMagar MRSA was noted. A combination of cefoxitin disk and S. aureus ID was found suitable for rapid MRSA screening...
- Inducible metronidazole resistance and nim genes in clinical Bacteroides fragilis group isolatesSonja Lofmark
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Clinical Bacteriology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:1253-6. 2005..High metronidazole resistance could be induced in nim-positive strains, which emphasizes the importance of acknowledging metronidazole resistance in the clinical setting...
- Comparison of MALDI-TOF MS and VITEK 2 system for laboratory diagnosis of Granulicatella and Abiotrophia species causing invasive infectionsPaul Ratcliffe
Division of Clinical Microbiology F 72, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 77:216-9. 2013..The emergence of resistant NVS isolates indicates the necessity of monitoring antimicrobial susceptibilities of such uncommon pathogens. ..
- New findings in beta-lactam and metronidazole resistant Bacteroides fragilis groupHong Fang
Department of Microbiology, Pathology and Immunology, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge University Hospital, SE 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Antimicrob Agents 19:361-70. 2002..The purpose of this article is to review the mechanisms for and the prevalence of beta-lactam and metronidazole resistance in strains belonging to the B. fragilis group...
- Emergence of VanD-type vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium in Stockholm, SwedenH Fang
Division of Clinical Bacteriology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:106-8. 2007..This is the first VanD-type vancomycin-resistant E. faecium isolate reported in Sweden. The emergence of this strain reinforces the necessity of infection control efforts to interrupt the spread of these organisms...
- Emergence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carrying Panton-Valentine leukocidin gene in Shanghai, ChinaGuang hui Li
Int J Infect Dis 10:482-3. 2006
- [The relation between angiotensin II receptors 1 and 2, and CYP11B2 and atrial structural remodeling in patients with atrial fibrillation]Yong quan Wu
Department of Cardiology, Tongji Hospital Affiliated to Tongji University, Shanghai 200065, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 87:2281-4. 2007..To investigate the relation between of the angiotensin II receptors 1 and 2 (AT1-R and AT2-R), and aldosterone (Ald) synthetase CYP11B2 gene expression and atrial structural remodeling...
- Assessing batch effects of genotype calling algorithm BRLMM for the Affymetrix GeneChip Human Mapping 500 K array set using 270 HapMap samplesHuixiao Hong
Division of Systems Toxicology, National Center for Toxicological Research, US Food and Drug Administration, 3900 NCTR Road, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 9:S17. 2008..In this paper, we analyzed both the batch size and batch composition for effects on the genotype calling algorithm BRLMM using raw data of 270 HapMap samples analyzed with the Affymetrix Human Mapping 500 K array set...
- Gene expression profile exploration of a large dataset on chronic fatigue syndromeHong Fang
Z Tech Corporation at NCTR, Division of Bioinformatics, 3900 NCTR Road, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
Pharmacogenomics 7:429-40. 2006..To gain understanding of the molecular basis of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) through gene expression analysis using a large microarray data set in conjunction with clinically administrated questionnaires...
- Classification of cDNA array genes that have a highly significant discriminative power due to their unique distribution in four brain regionsHong Fang
Northrop Grumman Information Technology, Jefferson, Arkansas, USA
DNA Cell Biol 23:661-74. 2004....
- Gene expression profiling of MPP+-treated MN9D cells: a mechanism of toxicity studyJianyong Wang
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Division of Neurotoxicology, HFT 132, National Center for Toxicological Research FDA, 3900 NCTR Road, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
Neurotoxicology 28:979-87. 2007..These data also indicate that MPP+-induced toxicity shares common molecular mechanisms with the pathogenesis of PD and further pathway analyses will be conducted to explore these mechanisms...