Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- FACT: an open-label randomized phase III study of fulvestrant and anastrozole in combination compared with anastrozole alone as first-line therapy for patients with receptor-positive postmenopausal breast cancerJonas Bergh
Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Oncol 30:1919-25. 2012..To compare the effect of therapy with anastrozole versus a combination of fulvestrant and anastrozole in women in first relapse of endocrine-responsive breast cancer...
- First-line treatment of advanced breast cancer with sunitinib in combination with docetaxel versus docetaxel alone: results of a prospective, randomized phase III studyJonas Bergh
Karolinska Institutet and University Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Oncol 30:921-9. 2012..To investigate whether sunitinib plus docetaxel improves clinical outcomes for patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)/neu-negative advanced breast cancer (ABC) versus docetaxel alone...
- Intrinsic molecular signature of breast cancer in a population-based cohort of 412 patientsStefano Calza
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Nobel väg 12A, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Breast Cancer Res 8:R34. 2006..So far, however, they have not superseded routine histopathology and staging criteria, partly because the few studies performed on molecular subtyping have had little validation and limited clinical characterization...
- Clinical and pharmacokinetic study of sunitinib and docetaxel in women with advanced breast cancerJonas Bergh
Karolinska Institutet and University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Breast 21:507-13. 2012..This exploratory study examined the pharmacokinetics, safety, and antitumor activity of sunitinib plus docetaxel in patients with HER-2-negative advanced breast cancer...
- Early experience with sunitinib, combined with docetaxel, in patients with metastatic breast cancerAnnelie Liljegren
Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Breast 18:259-62. 2009..The current report describes four patients with advanced/metastatic breast cancer who experienced clinically meaningful responses following treatment with sunitinib in combination with docetaxel...
- Age-specific trends of survival in metastatic breast cancer: 26 years longitudinal data from a population-based cancer registry in Stockholm, SwedenTheodoros Foukakis
Department of Oncology Pathology, Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Breast Cancer Res Treat 130:553-60. 2011..Treatment advancements in MBC are not reflected by better survival for the whole MBC population. An improvement is only observed after the year 2000 and is restricted to younger patients...
- Tailored chemotherapy doses based on toxicity in breast cancer result in similar quality of life values, irrespective of given dose levelsMariann Iiristo
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 50:338-43. 2011....
- Interaction between goserelin and tamoxifen in a prospective randomised clinical trial of adjuvant endocrine therapy in premenopausal breast cancerAsgerdur Sverrisdottir
Department of Oncology, Karolinska Institutet and University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Breast Cancer Res Treat 128:755-63. 2011..The combination of goserelin and tamoxifen is not superior to either modality alone. With the limitations of a subset trial, these data have to be interpreted cautiously...
- The dyslexia candidate gene DYX1C1 is a potential marker of poor survival in breast cancerGustaf Rosin
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Novum, and Science for Life Laboratory, Karolinska Institutet, Hälsovägen 7, Huddinge, Sweden
BMC Cancer 12:79. 2012..This study was undertaken to assess the prognostic value and therapy-predictive potential of DYX1C1 mRNA and protein expression in breast cancer...
- Trastuzumab use in breast cancer patients in the six Health Care Regions in SwedenUlla Wilking
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Oncology Pathology, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 49:844-50. 2010..Patients with BC are treated within each of the six different Health Care Regions (HCRs) in Sweden. This aim of this project was to study the introduction and usage of trastuzumab in BC in the six HCRs in Sweden...
- How to treat male breast cancerKamila Czene
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics MEB, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Breast 16:S147-54. 2007..Different chemotherapy regimens have been used in the adjuvant and metastatic setting. The use of adjuvant therapy has in institutional and review comparisons been demonstrated to result in an improved outcome...
- A randomised feasibility/phase II study (SBG 2004-1) with dose-dense/tailored epirubicin, cyclophoshamide (EC) followed by docetaxel (T) or fixed dosed dose-dense EC/T versus T, doxorubicin and C (TAC) in node-positive breast cancerSara Margolin
Department of Oncology, Karolinska Institute and University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 50:35-41. 2011..Discussion. Dose-dense and tailored EC/T can be given with manageable toxicity and is after adjustment presently studied in the phase III Panther trial...
- Vaccination with a plasmid DNA encoding HER-2/neu together with low doses of GM-CSF and IL-2 in patients with metastatic breast carcinoma: a pilot clinical trialHåkan Norell
Department of Oncology and Pathology, Cancer Center Karolinska, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Transl Med 8:53. 2010..Here we report the first administration of a Her2-plasmid DNA (pDNA) vaccine in humans...
- A simple method for assigning genomic grade to individual breast tumoursKristian Wennmalm
Department of Oncology and Pathology, Karolinska Institutet and University Hospital, Cancer Centrum Karolinska, R8 3, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Cancer 11:306. 2011..Here, we investigate the performance of a method that uses no information outside the breast profile of interest...
- Thrombospondin-1 expression in relation to p53 status and VEGF expression in human breast cancersBarbro Linderholm
Department of Oncology and Pathology, CCK Cancer Centrum Karolinska, Karolinska Institutet and Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Cancer 40:2417-23. 2004..009), but there was no correlation between this p53 group and those with low TSP-1 levels (P=0.2). In conclusion, TSP-1 expression was not prognostic and was not associated with neither p53-status or VEGF expression...
- HER2 status in a population-derived breast cancer cohort: discordances during tumor progressionUlla Wilking
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska Institutet and Cancer Center Karolinska, Stockholm, Sweden
Breast Cancer Res Treat 125:553-61. 2011..Overall survival HR is 5.47 (95% CI 2.01-14.91) and survival from relapse HR is 3.22 (95% CI 1.18-8.77). The unstable status for HER2 in breast cancer is clinically significant and should motivate more frequent testing of recurrences...
- Immunohistochemistry compared to cytosol assays for determination of estrogen receptor and prediction of the long-term effect of adjuvant tamoxifenMahmoud R Khoshnoud
Department of Oncology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Sodersjukhuset, 11883, Stockholm, Sweden
Breast Cancer Res Treat 126:421-30. 2011..001; cytosol: HR, 0.53, P < 0.001). The effect on overall survival was not statistically significant probably due to the limited sample size. Both IHC and cytosol assay accurately predict long-term response to adjuvant tamoxifen...
- Incidence and prognosis of synchronous and metachronous bilateral breast cancerMikael Hartman
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Stockholm Söder Hospital and Oncologic Center, CLINTEC, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Oncol 25:4210-6. 2007..Little is known, however, about incidence trends and prognostic features of bilateral breast cancer...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer--"one fits all"?Jonas Bergh
Stockholm Oncology, Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Institute and Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Breast 14:564-9. 2005..Taken together these strategies will be very different from the present "one fits all" concept...
- Prognostic significance in breast cancer of a gene signature capturing stromal PDGF signalingOliver Frings
Stockholm Bioinformatics Centre, Science for Life Laboratory, Solna, Sweden
Am J Pathol 182:2037-47. 2013....
- Inactivation of FBXW7/hCDC4-β expression by promoter hypermethylation is associated with favorable prognosis in primary breast cancerShahab Akhoondi
Departments of Cell and Molecular Biology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Breast Cancer Res 12:R105. 2010..Mutational inactivation of the FBXW7/hCDC4 tumor suppressor gene (TSG) is common in many cancer types, but infrequent in breast cancers. This study investigates the presence and impact of FBXW7/hCDC4 promoter methylation in breast cancer...
- Gene expression in 16q is associated with survival and differs between Sørlie breast cancer subtypesKristian Wennmalm
Department of Oncology and Pathology, Cancer Center Karolinska, Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Institutet and University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 46:87-97. 2007..This article contains Supplementary Material available at http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1045-2257/suppmat...
- Sequencing of the tumor suppressor gene TP 53Barbro Linderholm
Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Institute and Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Methods Mol Med 120:389-401. 2006..This chapter describes protocols for the 'gold standard', but perhaps complex and time consuming, methods for sequencing TP 53, by cDNA and genomic based sequencing techniques...
- Different methods for the detection of small changes in uptake between single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) examinations: 99mTc-sestamibi in chemotherapy for breast tumoursHans Jacobsson
Department of Radiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Nucl Med Commun 27:347-52. 2006..For this purpose, we employed a patient cohort from a previous study assessing the response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer using Tc-hexakis-2-methoxyisobutylisonitrile (Tc-sestamibi)...
- Improvements in patient satisfaction at an outpatient clinic for patients with breast cancerMia Bergenmar
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 45:550-8. 2006..In conclusion, the questionnaire captured positive changes in patient satisfaction between the two measurements. Further changes for the better were still requested concerning continuity of care despite reported improvement...
- Prognostic significance of stromal platelet-derived growth factor beta-receptor expression in human breast cancerJanna Paulsson
Department of Oncology Pathology, Cancer Center Karolinska, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Pathol 175:334-41. 2009..These findings highlight the prognostic significance of stromal markers and should be considered in ongoing clinical development of PDGF receptor inhibitors...
- Forecasting drug utilization and expenditure in a metropolitan health regionBjörn Wettermark
Department of Drug Management and Informatics, Stockholm County Council, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Health Serv Res 10:128. 2010..The aim of this paper is to present the forecasting model and the predicted growth in all therapeutic areas in 2010 and 2011...
- HER-2/neu (c-erbB-2) evaluation in primary breast carcinoma by fluorescent in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry with special focus on intratumor heterogeneity and comparison of invasive and in situ componentsJenny Andersson
Department of Oncology, Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Institute and Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 12:14-20. 2004..Perhaps the intratumor HER-2/neu heterogeneity can explain some of the unexpected failures of trastuzumab therapy...
- Prognostic correlation of basic fibroblast growth factor and vascular endothelial growth factor in 1307 primary breast cancersBarbro K Linderholm
Department of Oncology, Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Institute and Hospital, SE 161 67 Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Breast Cancer 4:340-7. 2003..The results might implicate that different angiogenic pathways exist in human breast cancer...