Mona Christina Backhans
Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- Binge drinking--a predictor for or a consequence of unemployment?Mona C Backhans
Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36:1983-90. 2012..While most studies confirm that problem use is related to subsequent unemployment, results are inconclusive regarding the reverse association. Few studies have analyzed binge drinking as either a predictor or an outcome...
- Is gender policy related to the gender gap in external cause and circulatory disease mortality? A mixed effects model of 22 OECD countries 1973-2008Mona Backhans
Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm 171 76, Sweden
BMC Public Health 12:969. 2012..The aim of this study is to investigate the link between gender policy and the gender gap in cause-specific mortality, adjusted for economic factors and health behaviours...
- Unemployment and mental health--who is (not) affected?Mona C Backhans
Department of Public Health Sciences, Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Public Health 22:429-33. 2012....
- Involvement and structure: a qualitative study of organizational change and sickness absence among women in the public sector in SwedenMaria Baltzer
Stress Research Institute, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Public Health 11:318. 2011..We used qualitative interviews to explore work environment factors underlying the impact of organizational changes (moderate and large expansions in staffing) on sickness absence from an employee perspective...
- The relationship between a less gender-stereotypical parenthood and alcohol-related care and death: a registry study of Swedish mothers and fathersAnna Månsdotter
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Public Health Science, Division of Social Medicine, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Public Health 8:312. 2008..The aim was to analyse whether the risk of alcohol harm differs between parents who fit a gender-stereotypical versus those with a less gender-stereotypical division of childcare and paid work...
- Does increased gender equality lead to a convergence of health outcomes for men and women? A study of Swedish municipalitiesMona C Backhans
Swedish National Institute of Public Health, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Soc Sci Med 64:1892-903. 2007..We propose that this contention be confronted and discussed by policymakers, researchers and others. Further studies are also needed to corroborate or dispute these findings...
- Pioneers and laggards - is the effect of gender equality on health dependent on context?Mona Christina Backhans
Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Norrbacka, 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Soc Sci Med 68:1388-95. 2009..These results show that there are distinct benefits as well as disadvantages to being a gender pioneer and/or a laggard in comparison to your municipality. The associations are markedly different for men and women...
- Gender policy developments and policy regimes in 22 OECD countries, 1979-2008Mona C Backhans
Unit for Social Medicine, Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Health Serv 41:595-623. 2011..The two aspects of the model--compensatory measures in the pension system, and benefits for caring activities--were never present simultaneously...