Benon B Asiimwe
Affiliation: Karolinska Institutet
- Evaluation of in-house PCR for diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in Kampala, UgandaLydia Nakiyingi
Infectious Diseases Institute, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Mulago Hospital Complex, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Res Notes 5:487. 2012..Two smear-negative sputum samples were obtained from each PTB suspect and processed simultaneously for identification of MTBC using in-house PCR and LJ culture...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis spoligotypes and drug susceptibility pattern of isolates from tuberculosis patients in peri-urban Kampala, UgandaBenon B Asiimwe
Department of Medical Microbiology, Makerere University Medical School, Kampala, Republic of Uganda
BMC Infect Dis 8:101. 2008..This study determined the predominant strain lineages that cause TB in Rubaga division, Kampala, Uganda, and the prevalence of resistance to key anti-tuberculosis drugs in this community...
- DNA restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from HIV-seropositive and HIV-seronegative patients in Kampala, UgandaBenon B Asiimwe
Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Infect Dis 9:12. 2009....
- Comparison of rapid tests for detection of rifampicin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Kampala, UgandaSam Ogwang
Department of Medical Microbiology, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Infect Dis 9:139. 2009..The aim of the present study was to assess the feasibility of implementing technology for rapid detection of rifampicin resistance in a high disease burden setting in Africa...
- Comparison of transformation frequencies among selected Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypesMoses L Joloba
Department of Medical Microbiology, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Upper Mulago hill road, PO Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
Int J Antimicrob Agents 36:124-8. 2010..This is the first study to compare the transformation frequencies of pneumococcal clinical isolates using genomic DNA that carries the composite Tn916-like element...
- Species and genotypic diversity of non-tuberculous mycobacteria isolated from children investigated for pulmonary tuberculosis in rural UgandaBenon B Asiimwe
Department of Medical Microbiology, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, P O Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Infect Dis 13:88. 2013....
- An Early Morning Sputum Sample Is Necessary for the Diagnosis of Pulmonary Tuberculosis, Even with More Sensitive Techniques: A Prospective Cohort Study among Adolescent TB-Suspects in UgandaWilly Ssengooba
Department of Medical Microbiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda Infectious Diseases Institute, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda Iganga Mayuge Demographic Surveillance Sites, School of Public Health, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda
Tuberc Res Treat 2012:970203. 2012..Among TB-suspected adolescents in rural Uganda, the EM sputum culture has a high incremental diagnostic yield. Therefore, EM sputum in addition to spot sample culture is necessary for improved TB case detection...