- Polyamine biosynthetic enzymes as drug targets in parasitic protozoaO Heby
Department of Molecular Biology, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Biochem Soc Trans 31:415-9. 2003..Therefore it is conceivable that exploitation of such differences can lead to the design of new inhibitors that will selectively kill the parasites while exerting minimal, or at least tolerable, effects on the parasite-infected patient...
- Targeting the polyamine biosynthetic enzymes: a promising approach to therapy of African sleeping sickness, Chagas' disease, and leishmaniasisO Heby
Department of Molecular Biology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Amino Acids 33:359-66. 2007..By taking advantage of the differences in enzyme structure between parasite and host, it should be possible to design new drugs that can selectively kill the parasites...
- Skin fibroblasts from spermine synthase-deficient hemizygous gyro male (Gy/Y) mice overproduce spermidine and exhibit increased resistance to oxidative stress but decreased resistance to UV irradiationJ Nilsson
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Division of Physiology, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Biochem J 352:381-7. 2000..This finding indicates that spermine, probably because of its high-affinity binding to DNA, is important in protection against chromatin damage...
- The functional intronless S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase gene of the mouse (Amd-2) is linked to the ornithine decarboxylase gene (Odc) on chromosome 12 and is present in distantly related species of the genus MusK Persson
Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology, Umea University, S 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Mamm Genome 10:784-8. 1999..Finally, we show that Amd-2 is present among several divergent species of the genus Mus. Thus, the integration event that generated Amd-2 may have occurred early during Mus evolution...
- Antizyme inhibitor is rapidly induced in growth-stimulated mouse fibroblasts and releases ornithine decarboxylase from antizyme suppressionJ Nilsson
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Division of Physiology, Umea University, S 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Biochem J 346:699-704. 2000....
- Nuclear translocation of antizyme and expression of ornithine decarboxylase and antizyme are developmentally regulatedA Gritli-Linde
Department of Oral Biochemistry, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Dev Dyn 220:259-75. 2001....
- Cloning and sequencing of an intronless mouse S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase gene coding for a functional enzyme strongly expressed in the liverK Persson
Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of Umea, Sweden
J Biol Chem 270:5642-8. 1995..e. it catalyzed the decarboxylation of S-adenosylmethionine, and its specific activity was comparable with that of recombinant human AdoMetDC purified according to the same procedure...
- Genetic analysis of spermidine synthase from Leishmania donovaniS C Roberts
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health Sciences University, 97201-3098, Portland, OR, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 115:217-26. 2001..donovani promastigotes. The molecular and cellular reagents created in this investigation provide a foundation for subsequent structure-function and inhibitor design studies on this key polyamine biosynthetic enzyme...