Affiliation: Falun Hospital
- The liabilities of mobility: a selection pressure for the transition to consciousness in animal evolutionBjorn Merker
Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, SE 75142, Sweden
Conscious Cogn 14:89-114. 2005..This suggests that consciousness arose as a solution to problems in the logistics of decision making in mobile animals with centralized brains, and has correspondingly ancient roots...
- Consciousness without a cerebral cortex: a challenge for neuroscience and medicineBjorn Merker
Gamla Kyrkvagen 44, SE 14171 Segeltorp, Sweden
Behav Brain Sci 30:63-81; discussion 81-134. 2007....
- Cortical gamma oscillations: the functional key is activation, not cognitionBjorn Merker
Fjälkestadsvägen 410 82, SE 29194 Kristianstad, Sweden
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 37:401-17. 2013..This examination finds no compelling reasons to assign functional roles to oscillatory synchrony in the gamma range beyond its generic functions at the level of infrastructural neural control...
- The conformal motive in birdsong, music, and language: an introductionBjorn Merker
Gamla Kyrkv 44, SE 14171 Segeltorp, Sweden
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1060:17-28. 2005..Some of the implications of this perspective for our understanding of a number of issues related to the human facility for imitation, expressive mimesis, and deliberate teaching are also briefly touched upon...
- Human sensorimotor tracking of continuous subliminal deviations from isochronyGuy Madison
Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Box 1225, SE 75142 Uppsala, Sweden
Neurosci Lett 370:69-73. 2004..Above this threshold the motor reactions accounted for a larger proportion of the stimulus deviations in musically trained participants...
- Cortex, countercurrent context, and dimensional integration of lifetime memoryBjorn Merker
Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Cortex 40:559-76. 2004..quot; This approach to cortical function helps elucidate key features of cortical organization as well as cognitive aspects of mammalian life history strategies...
- On the limits of anisochrony in pulse attributionGuy Madison
Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Box 1225, 751 42 Uppsala, Sweden
Psychol Res 66:201-7. 2002..We suggest that this limit reflects a compromise between tolerance for naturally occurring deviations and the need for precision in timing...
- Siamang gibbons exceed the saccular threshold: intensity of the song of Hylobates syndactylusNeil P McAngus Todd
Department of Psychology, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom
J Acoust Soc Am 115:3077-80. 2004..Thus reproductive vocal behavior of primates may be influenced by a primitive acoustical reward pathway inherited from a common ancestor with anamniotes. In humans such a pathway could explain the compulsion for exposure to loud music...