- Don't put all your eggs in one nest: spread them and cut time at riskMalte Andersson
Department of Zoology, University of Gothenburg, Box 463, SE 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Am Nat 180:354-63. 2012..Risk reduction by egg spreading may also play a role in the evolution of other breeding systems and taxa-for instance, polyandry with male parental care in some birds and fishes...
- Host-parasite kinship in a female-philopatric bird population: evidence from relatedness trend analysisMalte Andersson
Department of Zoology, University of Gothenburg, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Mol Ecol 16:2797-806. 2007..Absence of a population trend in female pairwise relatedness vs. distance implies that host-parasite relatedness is not only an effect of strong natal philopatry: some additional form of kin bias is also involved...
- Sexual selection and mate choiceMalte Andersson
Department of Zoology, University of Gothenburg, SE 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Trends Ecol Evol 21:296-302. 2006..We identify where new techniques can help estimate the relative roles of the various selection mechanisms that might work together in the evolution of mating preferences and attractive traits, and in sperm-egg interactions...
- Reproductive tactics under severe egg predation: an eider's dilemmaMalte Andersson
Animal Ecology, Department of Zoology, University of Gothenburg, Box 463, SE 405 30, Goteborg, Sweden
Oecologia 148:350-5. 2006..Early nest attendance by eider females is estimated to increase clutch survival by about 20% in four-egg and 35% in five-egg clutches, albeit probably at a cost of smaller clutch size...
- Host-parasite relatedness shown by protein fingerprinting in a brood parasitic birdM Andersson
Department of Zoology, Goteborg University, Box 463, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:13188-93. 2000..Relatedness and kin discrimination, which can be achieved by recognition of birth nestmates, therefore play a role in these tactics and probably influence their success...
- Social polyandry, parental investment, sexual selection, and evolution of reduced female gamete sizeMalte Andersson
Department of Zoology, University of Gothenburg, Box 463, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Evolution 58:24-34. 2004..Feedback between sexual selection and parental investment may be common...
- Adaptive seasonal trend in brood sex ratio: test in two sister species with contrasting breeding systemsM Andersson
Department of Zoology, University of Gothenburg, Goteborg, Sweden
J Evol Biol 16:510-5. 2003..There was no seasonal trend from sons to daughters in this species. When tested together, the two species differed significantly as predicted by the hypothesis of adaptive sex ratio adjustment by females...
- Colony kin structure and host-parasite relatedness in the barnacle gooseSofia Anderholm
Department of Zoology, University of Gothenburg, Box 463, SE40530 Gothenburg, Sweden
Mol Ecol 18:4955-63. 2009..Females laying late parasitic eggs tended to be less related to the host, but not significantly so. Our results suggest that CBP in barnacle geese might represent different tactical life-history responses...
- Predation by sparrowhawks decreases with increased breeding density in a songbird, the great titFrank Götmark
Animal Ecology, Department of Zoology, University of Goteborg, Box 463, Goteborg, 40530, Sweden
Oecologia 142:177-83. 2005..This result also has potential implications for conservation work...
- Indeterminate laying and flexible clutch size in a capital breeder, the common eiderPeter Waldeck
Department of Zoology, University of Gothenburg, Box 463, 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Oecologia 165:707-12. 2011..A previous study has shown that they can reduce their laying if eggs are added. Our results add to increasing evidence that ducks have more flexible egg production than previously thought...
- Prevalence of asthma and exhaled nitric oxide are increased in bleachery workers exposed to ozoneA C Olin
Section of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Eur Respir J 23:87-92. 2004..The results also indicate exhaled nitric oxide may be a marker of airway inflammation in bleachery workers who have been exposed to high peaks of ozone...
- Characteristics of timed barium esophagogram in newly diagnosed idiopathic achalasia: clinical and manometric correlatesM Andersson
Departments of Radiology, Otorhinolaryngology and Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Radiol 48:2-9. 2007..To describe timed barium esophagogram (TBE) characteristics in patients with newly diagnosed idiopathic achalasia, and to correlate these with clinical and manometric variables...
- Behavioural ecology: Coots countMalte Andersson
Nature 422:483, 485. 2003
- Genetic similarity between mates and extra-pair parentage in three species of shorebirdsDonald Blomqvist
Konrad Lorenz Institute for Comparative Ethology, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Savoyenstrasse 1a, A 1160 Vienna, Austria
Nature 419:613-5. 2002..We propose that extra-pair parentage may represent adaptive behavioural strategies to avoid the negative effects of pairing with a genetically similar mate...
- Animal behaviour: relative size in the mating gameMalte Andersson
Nature 431:139-41. 2004