- The Modified Early Warning Score (MEWS): An Instant Physiological Prognostic Indicator of Poor Outcome in Acute Pancreatitis
The Pancreatic Unit, St James s University Hospital Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
JOP 15:569-76. 2014
..The Modified Early Warning Score (MEWS) is a bedside scoring system that is non-invasive, simple and repeatable to reflect dynamic changes in physiological state...
- Caution in using a unique technique of banded revision gastric bypass: Successful endosopic and surgical management of a rare complication
Department of Surgery, St James University Teaching Hospital, Beckett Street, LS9 7 Leeds, United Kingdom Electronic address
Int J Surg Case Rep 4:554-7. 2013
..We describe a new technique of revision Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) acombining stapled gastroenterostomy with fixed band placement. We report two cases of unique complications and its successful endoscopic and surgical management...
- The prognostic value of the neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio (NLR) in acute pancreatitis: identification of an optimal NLR
The Pancreatic Unit, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF, UK
J Gastrointest Surg 17:675-81. 2013
..The aim of this study was to investigate the prognostic value of the NLR in acute pancreatitis (AP) and determine an optimal ratio for severity prediction...
- Missed presentation of Crohn's disease in a patient with a fistulating thigh abscess: a case report
Scunthorpe General Hospital, Cliff Gardens Cliff Gardens, Scunthorpe, South Humberside DN15 7BH, UK
Cases J 3:26. 2010
..Musculoskeletal presentations of Crohn's disease are rare and they include psoas abscess, thigh abscesses and in extreme cases septic arthropathy...
- Advances in radiotherapy in operable rectal cancer
Academic Surgical Unit, University of Hull and Castle Hill Hospital, Castle Road, Cottingham, UK
Dig Surg 26:187-99. 2009
..Relevant questions in designing optimal therapy are set out. This review identifies evidence that influences current practice and shapes future trials in treatment of operable rectal cancer...
- Jaundice as a presentation of phenol induced hepatotoxocity following injection sclerotherapy for haemorrhoids
Department of Surgery, Scarborough General Hospital, Scarborough, Y012 6QL
Surgeon 3:43-4. 2005
..A brief overview of symptoms of phenol toxicity is included...
- Magnetic resonance imaging accuracy in assessing tumour down-staging following chemoradiation in rectal cancer
Academic Surgical Unit, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Colorectal Dis 11:249-53. 2009
..Neoadjuvant therapy is increasingly used in rectal cancer and MRI is used to stage response and occasionally plan surgery. We aim to assess the staging accuracy of MRI following chemoradiotherapy in rectal cancer...
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery in early rectal cancer: time for a trial?
Academic Surgical Unit, University of Hull and Castle Hill Hospital, Hull, UK
Colorectal Dis 10:314-27; discussion 327-9. 2008
..Its role remains unclear and needs to be established in the light of new emerging trends in rectal cancer. This review aims to evaluate the use of TEM and its limitations...
- Outcomes of emergency and elective femoral hernia surgery in four district general hospitals: a 4-year study
Scarborough General Hospital, Woodlands Drive, Scarborough, Yorkshire YO12 6QL, UK
Hernia 11:509-12. 2007
..This study compares results of emergency and elective femoral hernia surgery in four district general hospitals against published rates up to a decade ago...
- First case of villous adenoma of the appendix leading to acute appendicitis presenting as strangulated femoral hernia: changes in management owing to concurrent adenoma
Academic Surgical Unit, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, East Yorkshire HU16 5JQ, UK
Hernia 12:95-8. 2008
..Second, the presence of an adenoma changes the aetiology of appendicitis. More importantly, changes in surgical management of acute appendicitis presenting as a strangulated femoral hernia owing to a co-existing adenoma are discussed...
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the nasopharynx metastasising to rectum: first case report and literature review
Academic Surgical Unit, Castle Hill Hospital, Castle Road, Cottingham, HU16 5JQ, UK
Anticancer Res 26:4741-4. 2006
..A brief review of the literature is performed, with discussion on the screening, diagnosis and treatment of non-primary / metastatic tumours of the colorectum, from SCC and other primary tumours...
- Adult granulosa cell tumour of the testis and bony metastasis. A report of the first case of granulosa cell tumour of the testicle metastasising to bone
Department of Surgery, Scarborough Hospital, Scarborough, UK
Urol Int 75:91-3. 2005
..This highlights the need to maintain a high index of suspicion for extra-abdominal metastases during long-term follow-up in patients with previous testicular granulosa cell tumour...
- Preoperative serum levels of serum VEGF-C is associated with distant metastasis in colorectal cancer patients
Andrew A Alabi
Academic Surgical Unit, Division of Cancer, Postgraduate Medical Institute in association with the Hull and York Medical School, University of Hull, Cottingham Road, Kingston upon Hull HU6 7RX, UK
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:269-74. 2009
..In this study, we evaluated the relationship of preoperative serum VEGF-C (sVEGF-C) and survival in CRC patients...
- Minimally invasive, video-assisted thyroidectomy: first experience from the United Kingdom
A K Samy
Diana Princess of Wales Hospital, Grimsby, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 92:379-84. 2010
..This study reports the first results from the UK and compares them with other centres. We also aim to compare the results of a single-surgeon experience in a small/moderately-sized hospital to those of larger tertiary centres...
- Preoperative serum vascular endothelial growth factor-a is a marker for subsequent recurrence in colorectal cancer patients
Andrew A Alabi
Academic Surgical Unit, Division of Cancer, Postgraduate Medical Institute in association with Hull and York Medical School, University of Hull, Hull, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 52:993-9. 2009
..In this study, the clinical usefulness of preoperative serum vascular endothelial growth factor-A concentrations in the long-term follow-up of colorectal cancer patients was evaluated...