Ali Jaffer Mohammed
Affiliation: Sultan Qaboos University
Country: Sultanate of Oman
- Determinants of myopia among Omani school children: a case-control studyRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Ministry of Health, Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 12:207-13. 2005..Our aim was to determine risk factors for myopia in students of 10th grade of eight regions of Oman...
- Lid surgery for trachomatous trichiasis is negatively associated with visual disabilities and visual impairment in OmanR B Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Department of Noncommunicable Diseases Surveillance and Control, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
East Mediterr Health J 18:1107-13. 2012..01), sex (aOR = 2.01), history of lid surgery (aOR = 3.09) and residence in a hyperendemic trachoma area (aOR = 10.6). Promotion of TT surgery might be beneficial in reducing blindness...
- Pediatric cataract and surgery outcomes in Central India: a hospital based studyRajiv Khandekar
BCEIO, UBC, Canada
Indian J Med Sci 61:15-22. 2007..A review of pediatric cataract cases operated between January 2003 and March 2005 in the tribal belt of central India was carried out...
- Prevalence and causes of blindness & low vision; before and five years after 'VISION 2020' initiatives in Oman: a reviewRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Department of Control of non Communicable Disease, DGHA, Ministry of Health, Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 14:9-15. 2007..The results are then compared with those of the survey in 1997 and the changes following the 'VISION 2020' initiatives are assessed...
- The prevalence of trachomatous trichiasis in Oman (Oman eye study 2005)Rajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, NCD, DGHA, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 14:267-72. 2007..2. To compare the results of the present study to those of the survey conducted in 1996 and propose public health policies for eye care in Oman...
- Should the health information glaucoma be hospital based or community based?Rajiv B Khandekar
Department of Non Communicable Disease Control, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
Saudi Med J 29:1156-8. 2008..To compare the prevalence and incidence of glaucoma in 2005 of > or =30 years-old Omani population...
- Oman Eye Study 2005: prevalence and determinants of glaucomaR Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Department of Noncommunicable Disease Control, Directorate General of Health Affairs, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
East Mediterr Health J 14:1349-59. 2008..75%. Open angle and angle closure types of glaucoma contributed 40.6% and 37.8% respectively. History of hypertension was negatively, and older age and family history of glaucoma were positively, associated with glaucoma...
- Oman Eye Study 2005: validity of screening tests used in the glaucoma surveyR Khandekar
Ministry of Health, Oman
East Mediterr Health J 14:1360-4. 2008..9%. Combining both through parallel testing, sensitivity improved to 67.3% and specificity to 96.5%. An eye may, thus, be declared as not having glaucoma, but cannot be labelled as having glaucoma, using these parameters...
- Retinal examination of diabetic patients: knowledge, attitudes and practices of physicians in OmanR Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care Section, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
East Mediterr Health J 14:850-7. 2008..In practice 20 physicians had attempted to use an ophthalmoscope and only 9 could see details of the retina. Our general physicians would need detailed training if they are to be involved in early detection of diabetic retinopathy...
- Visual function and ocular status of children with hearing impairment in Oman: a case seriesRajiv Khandekar
Department of Non communicable Diseases Control, Directorate General of Health Affairs, Ministry of Health, Oman
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:228-9. 2009..In addition to visual aids, we recommend environmental changes to improve illumination and contrast to improve the quality of life of such children with double disability...
- Diabetic retinopathy and ocular co-morbidities among persons with diabetes at Sumail Hospital of OmanRajiv B Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Department of Control of Non Communicable Diseases, Director General of Health Affairs, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
Diabetes Technol Ther 11:675-9. 2009..We evaluated the magnitude of diabetic retinopathy (DR) and other ocular co-morbidities among patients with diabetes in 2006. We also assessed resources for eye care at Oman's Sumail Hospital...
- Evaluation of 'vision screening' program for three to six-year-old children in the Republic of IranRajiv Khandekar
Ophthalmologist and Epidemiologist, Low Vision Care expert, Advisor, Eye and Ear Health Care, Ministry of Health, Oman
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:437-42. 2009..Since 1996, vision screening of three to six-year-old children is conducted every year in Iran. We present outcomes of project review held in August 2006...
- Gender inequality in vision loss and eye diseases: evidence from the Sultanate of OmanRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Department of Non Communicable Disease Control, Director General of Health Affairs, Oman
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:443-9. 2009..The data from surveys of vision loss and monitoring of services were used to assess changes in gender inequality in Oman...
- Oman's progress towards reaching "Ultimate Intervention Goals" for the surgery "S" component of SAFE strategy for the elimination of blinding trachoma in 2008Rajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Department of Non communicable Diseases Surveillance and Control, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 17:360-5. 2010..A community based survey for Trachomatous Trichiasis (TT) was conducted in the high (TT >5% in 1997) and meso endemic areas (TT 1% to 5% in 1997) of Oman during 2008-09...
- Blinding trachoma in the northern provinces of Vietnam--a cross sectional surveyRajiv Khandekar
University of British Columbia, Center for Epidemiologic and International Ophthalmolgy, St Paul Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 13:183-9. 2006..The authors present the magnitude and some risk factors of trachomatous trichiasis (TT), trachomatous scarring (TS) and trachomatous corneal opacity (TCO)...
- Prevalence and distribution of active trachoma in children of less than five years of age in trachoma endemic regions of Oman in 2005Rajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, NCD, DGHA, Ministry of Health, Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 13:167-72. 2006..The Omani children were surveyed at health institutions during a 'Polio Supplementary Immunization Campaign.' The authors present the outcome of this survey and recommend policies for trachoma control in the study area...
- An epidemiological and clinical study of ocular manifestations of congenital rubella syndrome in Omani childrenRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care Programme, Non communicable Disease Control Department, Directorate General of Health Affairs, Ministry of Health, PO Box 393, Pin 113, Muscat, Oman
Arch Ophthalmol 122:541-5. 2004..To conduct a follow-up study in patients with congenital rubella syndrome (CRS) in Oman and analyze the prevalence of ophthalmic disorders and associated systemic problems...
- A 12-year epidemiological review of retinoblastoma in Omani childrenRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care Programme, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 11:151-9. 2004..To describe the epidemiology of retinoblastoma (RB) in Omani children...
- Cataract prevalence, cataract surgical coverage and its contribution to the reduction of visual disability in OmanRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, DSDC, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 11:181-9. 2004..To estimate the magnitude and determinants of cataract prevalence and cataract surgical coverage and to evaluate their role in visual disability in Oman...
- Magnitude and determinants of refractive error in Omani school childrenRajiv B Khandekar
Eye Health Care, Directorate General of Health Affairs, Ministry of Health, Sultanate of Oman
Saudi Med J 25:1388-93. 2004..To estimate the magnitude and determinants of refractive error in school children, a study was undertaken to review the school screening and refraction data...
- Coverage of cataract surgery per person and per eye: review of a community-based blindness survey in OmanRajiv Khandekar
Department of Ophthalmology, Eye and Ear Health Care, NCD, DGHA, P O Box 393, Pin 113, Muscat, Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 11:291-9. 2004..The objective was to compare the calculation of cataract surgery services coverage on a per eye and per person basis. The advantages and limitations of both methods of program management are evaluated...
- Visual disabilities among diabetics in OmanRajiv Khandekar
Eye Health Care, Department of Science Surveillance and Disease Control, Directorate General of Health Affairs, Ministry of Health, PO Box 393, Pin 113, Muscat, Oman
Saudi Med J 26:836-41. 2005..This study presents the outcomes and additional risk of visual impairment in diabetics...
- Assessment and care of children with low vision disability in Oman. Situation analysisRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Ministry of Health HQ, PO Box 393, Pin 113, Muscat, Oman
Saudi Med J 26:1028-30. 2005
- Neonatal screening for hearing impairment--The Oman experienceRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, NCD, DGHA, Ministry of Health, MOH HQ, POB 393, Pin 113, Muscat, Oman
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:663-70. 2006..Oman introduced universal hearing screening at a national level in 2002 after piloting it in limited regions. Authors present their experiences...
- Noncompliance with medical treatment among glaucoma patients in Oman--a cross-sectional descriptive studyRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Ministry of Health, Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 12:303-9. 2005..Glaucoma is a priority eye disease in Oman. In order to revise the existing policies for eye care, a study was conducted to review the noncompliance rates among glaucoma patients...
- Active trachoma, face washing (F) and environmental improvement (E) in a high-risk population in OmanR Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Muscat, Oman
East Mediterr Health J 11:402-9. 2005..5% in the children. Clean face was found in 97.8% of the children and 70% of houses had piped water or water supplied by tankers. The status of "F" and "E" in the study area was generally high...
- Recurrence of trachomatous trichiasis 17 years after bilamellar tarsal rotation procedureRajiv Khandekar
Eye and Ear Health Care, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
Am J Ophthalmol 141:1087-1091. 2006..In 1989, World Health Organization consultant operated on trachomatous trichiasis (TT) cases in Dhakhiliya region of Oman. We evaluated their current ocular status...
- Glaucoma among Omani diabetic patients: a cross-sectional descriptive study: (Oman diabetic eye study 2002)R Khandekar
Eye Health Care, DSDC, DGHA, Ministry of Health, Muscat, Oman
Eur J Ophthalmol 14:19-25. 2004..The study also recommends policies for comprehensive care of glaucoma among diabetic patients. The ocular pressure, disc changes, and field changes were noted by ophthalmologists. The diabetes profile was noted by physicians...