- Opioid therapy for chronic pain in the United States: promises and perils
Mark D Sullivan
Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA Electronic address
Pain 154:S94-100. 2013
..The United States has, in effect, conducted an experiment of population-wide treatment of chronic pain with long-term opioid therapy. The population-wide benefits have been hard to demonstrate, but the harms are now well demonstrated. ..
- Patient-centered disease management (PCDM) for heart failure: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial
David B Bekelman
Department of Veterans Affairs, Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Research 151, 1055 Clermont Street, Denver, CO 80220, USA
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 13:49. 2013
- Depression predicts all-cause mortality: epidemiological evaluation from the ACCORD HRQL substudy
Mark D Sullivan
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 35:1708-15. 2012
- Psychoactive substances and the political ecology of mental distress
Sunil K Aggarwal
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, New York University, Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, 400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016 USA
Harm Reduct J 9:4. 2012
..It closes with proposing a non-criminalizing public health approach for regulating human close contact with psychoactive substances using the example of cannabis use...
- Mental health disorders and long-term opioid use among adolescents and young adults with chronic pain
Laura P Richardson
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Adolesc Health 50:553-8. 2012
- Time-scheduled vs. pain-contingent opioid dosing in chronic opioid therapy
Michael Von Korff
Group Health Research Institute, Group Health Cooperative, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Pain 152:1256-62. 2011
..Patients with time-scheduled dosing received higher opioid dosage than patients with pain-contingent dosing. Time-scheduled dosing was associated with greater opioid control concerns than pain-contingent dosing...
- Trends in the prescription of opioids for adolescents with non-cancer pain
Laura P Richardson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 33:423-8. 2011
..The goal of the current study is to examine trends and factors associated with prescription opioid use among adolescents with common non-cancer pain (NCP) conditions, sampled from two contrasting populations...
- Bending the prescription opioid dosing and mortality curves: impact of the Washington State opioid dosing guideline
Gary M Franklin
Departments of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, Neurology, and Health Services, University of Washington School of Public Health, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Am J Ind Med 55:325-31. 2012
..We assessed changes in opioid dosing patterns and opioid-related mortality in the Washington State (WA) workers' compensation system following implementation of a specific WA opioid dosing guideline in April, 2007...
- What are we treating with chronic opioid therapy?
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 15:311. 2013
..Chronic opioid therapy may be more usefully regarded as a form of comfort care, reserved for those patients who have exhausted other treatments and prospects of recovery...
- Relationship of opioid use and dosage levels to fractures in older chronic pain patients
Kathleen W Saunders
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Gen Intern Med 25:310-5. 2010
..Opioids have been linked to increased risk of fractures, but little is known about how opioid dose affects fracture risk...
- A single-blind placebo run-in study of venlafaxine XR for activity-limiting osteoarthritis pain
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Division of Consultation Liaison Psychiatry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 6560, USA
Pain Med 10:806-12. 2009
..Selective norepinephrine-serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants may provide a new treatment option for osteoarthritis pain...